Noisy Alpha Z tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noisy Alpha Z tower

I've got a loud banging / rattle sound coming from inside the drivers side of my 2011 RZ2's Alpha Z tower when the water gets rough. Sounds like metal on metal. It also seems to be coming from an area about a foot below the rack. The rack bolts themselves are tight. Is there something inside the tower there besides speaker wires?
    A counter weight?

I searched the forum and found a couple threads suggesting the hinge pin is loose. I'll check that, but that pin seems to low relative to where the sound is coming from. There was also mention of using weather stripping? But where would I apply that?

The boat isn't near me right now, but i'll be heading to it this weekend. I would like to buy any repair parts i might need to fix it while i'm local, before heading to the lake.

Can anyone offer advise to fix my issue.

Thanks

You can take the tower lights off & see down in the tower pretty well with a flashlight. The only thing I can think of around there might be the attachment point for the cable going to the counterweight.

Comment

Mine was doing the same thing and I also thought the sound was coming from underneath. I grabbed the tower and found I could lift it up and down and there was a bit of play. I have the push in pins and not the newer version that uses the threaded pins. I used a peice of rubber fire hose cut into strips and glued them on to the mating surface and it cured my problem.

Comment

Interesting. So which direction was the play... vertically? So the sound is it hitting the base section of the tower?

Hate to sound a little slow here, but just want to be sure before I go buy a 200 foot fire hose. What exactly is the mating surface you glued the rubber to?

Comment

If you stand under the tower and push upward like you were going to put It down, mine had some play. There is a peice of rubber installed from the factory but it wears out. The surfaces I'm talking about are where the tower and base meet at the pivot point. You flip the tower down and glue the rubber to the top of the base. Once dry you flip the tower back up you trim off excess. It was a bitch to get the pins back in, but once reinstalled, I have zero movement or noise. I can take a picture this weekend at the lake and send it to you. I can also send you some hose pieces being a fireman and all. It doesn't take much. Just send me your address.

Comment

I really appreciate all this info. and the offer. Many thanks! Armed with this, i'm going to check out my situation and see if that is indeed my problem. I'm really hoping that is all it is. Best

Comment

No problem. Let me know what you find and if you need the hose peices.

Comment

Curious to know how you went with this issue and solution, as I have a noise drivers side tower leg on my 2011 RZR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X