Water Through Bilge Vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Through Bilge Vent

After getting my new surf ballast installed the wave is amazing, but I am taking on large amounts of water through the blower vent on the back of the boat. Enough that when surfing, the water hits the serp belt and sprays EVERYWHERE in the motor area. This is mainly from when a rider goes down and I let off the throttle. The wave splashes into the back of the boat and pushes a ton of water into the bilge through that blower hose. Does anyone have any sort of solution for this? I am sure others have seen it before, I did some searching but didn't come up with any solutions. I want to try and avoid sealing off the hole completely for obvious reasons.

Here is a pic of the back of the boat and the vent:
    back boat.jpg

We used to get that a bit too, and solved it with driving technique. Try slowing down a bit less abruptly, and as the hull slows begin your turnaround (you should basically spin in place anyway). Work on that until your wave basically passes smoothly underneath you rather than smashing into your transom and you'll have solved two problems at once!

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
      We used to get that a bit too, and solved it with driving technique. Try slowing down a bit less abruptly, and as the hull slows begin your turnaround (you should basically spin in place anyway). Work on that until your wave basically passes smoothly underneath you rather than smashing into your transom and you'll have solved two problems at once!
      Yeah I know that is certainly one way to fix it. I can handle driving like that, but its the other people that are driving that really don't seem to understand the importance. I may modify or make a new grill for the back, but I was curious of what others have done, if anything...

Comment

Originally posted by mdk681 View Post
        I was curious of what others have done, if anything...
        My grill has two sides, and each side has its own separate opening down into the engine compartment. My selling dealer told me they sometimes install a second bilge pump that exhausts through the second side for very hot environments to exhaust excess heat. In my case, that's not a big problem so I'm planning to cut a piece of clear plexiglas to go behind the machined plate. One side will duplicate the openings for blower airflow; the other will transparently block off the openings to reduce the surface area that can admit water.

Comment

Well post it up here so we can see the design! I haven't had an issue yet in mine but I drive like WABoating and teach my other drivers the same.

Comment

Originally posted by h2osk8er00 View Post
            Well post it up here so we can see the design!
            I will, when I actually do it. With proper driving technique this isn't a big problem so this project isn't high on the priority list. It's not complicated... I intend to trace the outline of the Tige plate, cut plexiglass to match, open up the side that has the blower outlet, and install it between the decking and the Tige plate. It should end up being essentially invisible.

Comment

Did you get this installed and did it work? I took on a lot of freaking water through that vent and it got all over... anyone have in pre-existing designs... Also.... Can you give me the skinny on your measurements? My boat is in Havasu until the next trip unfortunately... Is this vent even necessary? There seems like there should be enough air in there without the vent, right??

Comment

I'm still working on a fix. I just recently moved my bilge to the back of the boat next to the rudder. As long as I run the bilge every half hour or so when surfing it stays nice and dry. Trying to draw something up to partially block the bottom of the vent so some air flow is still possible while blocking out the majority of water.

Personally I believe blower venting is a must. The purpose is not to pull air in, but rather to exhaust fumes from the engine compartment. The blower tube should be pulling air from the bottom of the motor area and exhausting it though the vent. You should always run your blower for at least 5 minutes before starting your boat. I've heard horror stories of gas fumes igniting due to not using the blower before starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Crazy idea.... stuff a sponge in there. It should breathe but will deflect most of the water.

Sent from my Passport

Comment

Sponge is not a bad idea, my thought was probably to complex to actually make practical
                    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Not a bad idea. I was also thinking about some kind of screen on there. That way it would easily let air escape, but deflect most of the water. I like the sponge idea though, I'm going to try and rig something up. Thanks for the suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                        Crazy idea.... stuff a sponge in there. It should breathe but will deflect most of the water.
                        I like that idea, going to have to try that myself.

Comment

damn i would have never thought of a spunge thats just pure genious man!!! i was thinkinking like a number 100 or number 200 screen if i start having that issue

Comment

A wet sponge won't pass much air....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Use frogzskin. It's a fabric that is used on the hood vents of snowmobiles that lets air enter the engine compartment but keeps the snow and water out. They sell sheets in large sizes, 36 x 61. Here is the website. http://www.frogzskin.com/index.php?main_page=index.
                              Xtreme Powersports & Marine
                              www.xps-usa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X