Homemade Surf Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Surf Exhaust

Tried a search but didnt find answers... Has anybody tried to make their own FAE? Seems like some schedule 40 90's and a little pipe could go along way in putting the exhaust under water.. Any known drawbacks to trying this myself?

I wouldn't do it with Schedule 40 (plastic) pipe. Or Schedule 80.

Comment

Man.... I never thought of that... Look forward to seeing what you come up with... People are designing surf tabs all the time... I am sure is can't be too difficult... but I have no clue on this subject! HAHA

Comment

When i bought my boat the seller gave me his homemade FAE with it. He had made it out of black ABS pipe and said he had tried it a few times and it worked well. I ended up tossing it out and ordering one from FAE. Not that i had any doubts about how it was going to work, i just wanted one that looked nice too. If someone had some free time and was pretty handy welding exhaust tubing, i can't see it being hard making one that was every bit as nice as the ones FAE sells.

Comment

What would the argument against plastic be? The exhaust is water cooled right, I was assuming it wouldn't get hot enough to hurt anything. Guess I could mock something up out of plastic and have a buddy weld it up at the local machine shop.

Next questions: does anybody know about the development behind the FAE and why it's a 2 into 1 setup instead of just 2 separate pipes dropped down beside the TAPS plate? Seems like I saw a surf exhaust system on a Malibu one time that was just 2 chrome elbows turned down under the water...

Comment

I dont think water pipe grade plastic is strong enough for that application. I think theres a fair amount push placed on the tip of the down pipe. That leverage is going to be transferred somewhere.

The 2 into 1 puts the exhaust right into the prop wash where the water comes together off the transom. It also added stability by creating more attachment points. Using 2 single pipes would have no lateral stability without adding stabilizers to the left and right.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
            X