Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which batteries?

What batteries is everyone running?

New boat has 4 Rev10s on SD2, Inside speakers and 12w6 on Syn6.

I want something that won't die fast while cove partying, but if it's low I can start the boat and the alternator will be able to charge them.

I had 4 6 volts in my R20, th stereo would never die every after 2 days, but the alternator couldn't charge the bank that big. I don't have shore power at my dock either. So looking for another alternative so I can run the stereo for maybe a half day, and have a bank the alternator can charge at idle.

There are no alternatives. Theres no way to have long play time and the depleted bank not be a liability to the alternator. In other words, theres no way to get the play time of a 450Ah bank and it only be a 65Ah load for the alternator. Even a single group-24 thats depleted, is going to be a task for an alternator to charge up. Especially after a long day at the party cove with only a 10-15 minute ride back to the dock. Running the boat while at anchor to recharge, is not ideal, so I would avoid that because idle output is often times barely above the batteries static level. The alternator needs some RPM to get working good.

You're in a tight spot, no way at all to get 110V and a GF receptacle out to the slip? I think a pair of 6v GC's or a pair of group-29's is going to get you that play time. Relying on the alt to recharge is going to be the hurdle.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have power at my buddy's dock next door, but no way to get it to mine. It's a condo complex, I can't even run an extension cord down. HOA is pain there. If I needed too, I could charge it at my buddy's dock every once and a while.

What is a good group 29 battery?

Comment

Small gasoline generator driving a beefy Battery Tender? I haven't looked up the specs on battery chargers but you can get a quiet 800W gas generator for under $100. Carry it down to your boat and put it right in the passenger compartment on the floor. Totally self-contained, no AC cords running across the dock. Kinda ghetto but as ChpThril notes you don't have a lot of choices.

Comment

You may be able to look into solar panels... obviously you are at a lake so the sun can come out to work for you. Im not much on them and I know they dont work FAST, but if you found someone knowledgeable about solar energy and how to charge batteries then you might be able to make something work.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhatchett View Post
            You may be able to look into solar panels... obviously you are at a lake so the sun can come out to work for you. Im not much on them and I know they dont work FAST, but if you found someone knowledgeable about solar energy and how to charge batteries then you might be able to make something work.
            Need to get Phil over here!
            Last edited by chpthril; 04-27-2015, 07:19 PM.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I put in a Minn Kota charger. I figured the guys that know best are the guys who fish for a living and need their badly depleted trolling batteries back to full charge by morning.
              It is usually not recommended to charge a single lead acid battery at more than 15-20 amps, according to them. But they make even a 15 amp X 4 unit that is pretty sweet.
              A generator to use on occasion might be the best bet.
              Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Working...
              X