Fake a Lake instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake a Lake instructions

This weekend I finally plan to hook the batteries back up to the boat and wake her from hibernation I have a fake-a-lake plunger I want to use to make sure it's still alive before launching. Couple questions on this:

• does the water intake on the bottom of the boat look like this:
    1841295.jpg

• Do I just wedge the plunger under this, crank the hose on and start the boat up? I'm nervous because so much gushes out the sides of the plunger and it's hard to tell if enough is getting to the engine.

• Assuming everything is correct can I even rev the engine a slight bit?

I don't want to cause any harm and want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly is why I ask

Thanks owners!

Yep, that's what you are looking for. It will gush out the sides until you fire up the engine and then all of that water will be going into the cooling system instead. You can rev the engine, just make sure you put it into neutral when doing so and periodically check underneath to make sure the plunger is still in place because the last thing you want to do is run it without water.

Comment

I would use a hose connected to the intake on the v-drive (pull off the hose connected to the vdrive on the intake side). That way you can monitor the hose/water while you are in the boat. I have a picture somewhere of mine, but basically it's a 1-1/4 in clear hose with a garden hose adapter that is made from Home Depot parts. The fake-a-lake is hard to monitor without help, and is a PITA to deal with. I'll post up a pic tonight.
      2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

Comment

As said above. I used the plunger on my old boat and made this for my Tige this year. I pull of the raw water from the thru hull and connect right up to the intake on the motor.
        Attached Files

Comment

BCRider beat me to it. Mine looks a little different, but exact same functionality. Much better than the Fake-a-lake

Comment

^^Looks like a much better way to do it, thanks guys. What is the importance of the shutoff valve? Convenience? Still turn on the hose before you start up?

Also, is it easy to spot the intake on the VDrive? It's been a while since I've dug in there.

Comment

Hook up a Perko Flush system bro... that will make your life so much easier.. You can install it in less than an hour.. right off the seacock... They are awesome and I would never use a fake-a-lake.. they are dangerous when unmonitored... And I know.. I as in the boat running one time when the water stopped slowing... Ate up an impeller but that was it.. I was lucky though... Check out amazon.. http://www.amazon.com/Perko-0456DP7-.../dp/B00144D86Y

Comment

Supremedevice: I have a ball valve on it so I can control the water going thru the boat instead of having to run back to the house. Yes, turn the hose on first otherwise. If you're unsure of where your intake is inside look underneath for the intake scoop (usually has a grill over it) and then find the hose/shut off inside the boat. The line will run to the front of the raw water pump. In the picture above. You can just see the yellow tip of the shut off handle if you follow the fake a lake line straight up. below the ball valve is the thru hull.

Comment

Originally posted by supremedevice View Post
                  ^^Looks like a much better way to do it, thanks guys. What is the importance of the shutoff valve? Convenience? Still turn on the hose before you start up?

Also, is it easy to spot the intake on the VDrive? It's been a while since I've dug in there.
                  Yes, the valve is so that you can turn on the faucet first, then get in the boat and have control of the water when you start and stop the boat.

WHen you open the floor, you'll see the vdrive, and there will be a hose coming in the port side (intake) of the vdrive housing from the thru-hull, and one coming out the starboard (output) going back through the trans cooler tube, and then into the raw water pump housing. Hopefully that helps. Let me know if you need a pic. BTW, it's going to be 60 and calm today.....get out on the lake!...we're headed out in a couple hours.....

Comment

Working...
                  X