Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New boat, first trip, disaster and greatness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New boat, first trip, disaster and greatness!

Last fall we purchased a new to us boat, a 2004 24v. We were coming from this
    Trucking around the lake in this was fine, but as we were getting a lot more into wakeboarding and surfing we needed an upgrade.

So here's the new boat,

Came with the rival ballast system, 400lb (I believe) in each rear corner and front sacs also (not sure of exact weight)
    Perfect pass stargazer, heater, shower, the ballast, all huge upgrades for us. Thanks to help from people here we did a couple upgrades this winter to include a new amp since one was in-op, re-uphplstered some spots, and ordered a custom sac for the port side for surfing (we are surf port side).

Yesterday was our first time out with this thing set up for surfing, after spending what felt like forever at the de-con station we got on the water. Get to the end of the no wake zone, hit the throttle, and snap! We were dead in the water. The waters cold, 49 degrees to be exact, but we throw on the wetsuit and see what in the world happened. Sounded like we lost the prop. Here is what we found, ,
    The prop key (if that's what it's called) sheared off, leave the prop spinning on the shaft. No clue how this happened. Got a tow back to the dock, and a quick trip to the parts department for us back up and running. 2nd trip out was much better.

Filled both front sacs, I think they are only around 250 lbs each, they don't say on the sac. Filled the port rear custom sac for the first time and we were off!! A couple observations; I don't know how we survived without perfect pass, it's an absolute must, probably the best (beside) the sac's upgrade. 2nd, we were used to surfing with the dd with 1500lbs in the back corner and 750 in the front walkway, and it worked, sorta. It was a very small pocket, we could surf ropeless but it was difficult. Now we have to re-learn. The tige has "too much," push. And holy crap, there are 2 pockets. It's going to take a while to get used too. I'm sure we will still have some tweaking to do, but what a wave we had to play with. This new to us boat, just blew our minds. Didn't get a ton of pics, but since you guys like pictures..

We found so far, that 10.5, taps at 3, and both front sacs full up and the port rear full up worked best for us. It was fairly crappy water also.

All in all a good day, a couple setbacks, but nothing that we couldn't fix, and we were all blown away by the wave this thing could make. An exciting first outing, now we need some warmer weather!
    Last edited by masongardner; 04-19-2015, 06:44 PM.

That's awesome.

I have roamed these forums for a lot of years and never heard of the prop key breaking. That is really weird. I would bet the prop nut was not tight enough in the first place, can't think of another potential cause.

Congrats on getting your surf on!

Long live the V!!!
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Strange for a prop thats been on and running for awhile. can happen when a new prop is put on and its not fully seated on the tapered shaft.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The prop was changed out. I take full responsibility for it, seemed like it was down all the way, learned my lesson though. When I went to pick up the boat in Utah (coming from Colorado) I had to wait around almost all day because the perfect pass wasn't working and I told them I wasn't leaving with the boat until it was fixed, but in turn for having to wait all day the dealer gave me a more surf suited prop. Great guys, just looks like I screwed up when I changed them out. It's funny also, my dd boat had the 5.7 motor and so does this one, but my dd had many problems just keeping low speed without the motor struggling. This bigger Tige just seemed to shrug off the weight like it didn't care.

Comment

The only reason we didn't let the rope go in the pics is we didn't want to end up in the water, it was so cold! I can't get over how much push there was, ropeless will be a 0 issue.

Comment

The right prop will make a huge difference in speed holding. Also, your 05 V-drive may have the 1.46:1 drive where as your DD had a 1:1.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

That 1.46 must make a pretty good difference. We had the prop that acme recommended on the dd. Either way, extremely happy and still a little blown away by the tige wake. Thanks again for the help with the amp chpthril, it worked out great.

Comment

Congrats and welcome to the "v" family!

Comment

Nice boat congrats! You realize that old one would fit inside that 24V and I bet you don't miss it!

Comment

Congrat's great looking boat, It's nice to see another CO Tige owner.

Comment

Originally posted by JLG View Post
                      Nice boat congrats! You realize that old one would fit inside that 24V and I bet you don't miss it!
                      Hahah. Yes it would have, and I'm loving it!

Comment

Sweet! you are going to love surfing it! Love love the "v"!
                        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

congrats on the new boat! I agree with the need for some more warm weather, were going out Sat no matter what...gotta surf

Comment

Working...
                          X