equalizer/zone controller decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

equalizer/zone controller decision

Trying to decide which zone controller to go with. I have a clarion cmd4. I have a kicker 700.5 with the bass knob by the steering wheel. Towers are 4 xm9s with the harpoon amp with the throttle box. I don't use the sirus outs and i installed an aux plug next to the head unit. Thoughts?

Exile - MKII
    Wetsounds - 420
    Kicker - zxmrlc

Just bought the EXBT4 Bluetooth adapter(haven't installed) was going to put that in place of the Sirius output but if I go with an equalizer I would run it through that.

I was always planning on getting the WS420 or the Exile unit, but after reading how happy people are with the Kicker, i'll likely get one of those sometime in the future. Not as fancy as the other two, but its also far less expensive.

Comment

I have the Kicker and I am happy with it.

Comment

Since you already have the the bass knob for the sub, going with the Kicker ZXM would give you 3 zone independent volume control. So its going to come down to if you are just seeking zone volume control or if you are also wanting other features like EQ and MIC. If you are wanting more than just zone volume control, here is why I choose the Wet Sounds WS-420SQ hands down.

The WS-420SQ was designed and built from the ground up as a marine zone volume EQ. There is no other device like it on the market, period. The zld is built off a car audio eq platform and still retain 3 features from of eq's 20 years ago, more on those as we go.

The WS-420 is a dual EQ in a single chassis. This means you have independent control of 4 frequencies for both the tower and in-boat zone. The zld is a single eq, which means what ever tonal changes you make to the larger tower speakers, you are making to the smaller in-boats at the same time, no way around it. The single EQ concept is because it was originally intended or a car with front a rear speakers that you would fade back and forth between. Its not designed for adjusting between HLCDs on a tower and small coaxials down in the cabin.

The WS-420SQ has the Talk Back MIC. Great for communication with your rider in tow

The zld has a non defeatable sub low pass cross over adjustment. No need for this, since amps have been doing this for decades. It also has a sub phase switch on the face. Again, not needed at your fingertips for on the fly changes. Most higher end mono amps can adjust the sub phase. Most mono amps will at least allow for changing it 180*. For those that dont, just swap the sub leads for a 180* change. These are not features you would want or need on a modern marine EQ, if one was actually designing an EQ.

Given that both the WS-420SQ and the zld carry a $300 retail price, there is no question which one is the better choice.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

That was fast! Thanks guys! Will go with the kicker.
          I thought I was going to be able to run the Bluetooth adapter through the Sirius out but forgot it is hooked up through cenet. I have the aux outs going to a aux plug next to the head unit. Anyway to put a switch in or a splitter of some kind?

Comment

You can Y the BT into the AUX with the hardwire, just cant use both at the same time
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Another option for just simple dual zone control is the Roswell unit.

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and still haven't gotten it...

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/produc...volume-control
              Be excellent to one another.

Comment

One huge difference between the roswell VC and the others, is that its just a simple line level POT like the popular PAC brand LC-1 and is not a line driver like the EQ's or the Kicker ZXM.

I like the idea of having 2 dials integrated into a single housing though.

Comment

One huge difference between the roswell VC and the others, is that its just a simple line level POT like the popular PAC brand LC-1 and is not a line driver like the EQ's or the Kicker ZXM.

I like the idea of having 2 dials integrated into a single housing though.

Comment

Working...
                  X