First boat 24v or rz2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First boat 24v or rz2

I am looking to purchase my first boat but can't decide on the model looking to get some different opinions lots of kids will be on the boat tubing and skiing.what would be the handling difference also would be on bigger water does the Rz2 handle okay on ruf water

I was looking at a 24Ve when I found my RZ2. Lucky for me there was a 24Ve and RZ2 sitting side by side at the dealer. I was coming from a 22.5' Bayliner which was very deep and had a small portable toilet. Comparing the seating configuration for both boats I thought I would need the 24 but because of the bow design and the way the bench seating is in the RZ2 it felt almost as big as the 24. When I sat in both side by side I realized I was giving up a little bit of room to the 24 but it wasn't as dramatic as the difference between 24ve and the 22Ve, meaning that the RZ2 felt bigger to me on the inside than a 22Ve. That was my subjective feelings and perception from getting to crawl around all 3 models. If you can I suggest you do the same, get inside both and make sure it's going to fit the needs of your family and/or crew.

As for rough water, it depends on how big the water is. I've been on some rough water on Lake Amistad and Coeur D'Alene and the RZ2 did ok plowing into 3' swells. I kept the speed around 15 mph and the bow up high and it plowed through the swells pretty well. It's another story for any of these boats in a following sea. You have to read up on small boat handling to keep yourself out of trouble but most people don't get out much in those conditions either.

Some other info we could use to help you out, what lake do you normally use? How many people? Kids? Tow vehicle, storage concerns? Hope this helps.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

We many go out on lake of the ozarks and kinkaid lake usually 4 adults and 4 kids

Comment

My vote is rz2
        surf till u die.

Comment

24v is a big boat, it doesn't look as cool as an rz2, but will surf better and will be safer in big swells (it's super super super tall) .
          Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by haag4 View Post
            We many go out on lake of the ozarks and kinkaid lake usually 4 adults and 4 kids
            When you say LOTO I would initially say go with the 24V as the chop can get crazy down there on holidays and weekends. If you boat more during the week and not holidays the RZ2 would be a perfect boat for what you want to do. Also depends on what area of LOTO you use and if you don't mind going slow when you do cross certain busy areas than you will be happy with the RZ2. That RZ2 will handle the chop but nowhere near what the 24V can do. I would say with the number of ppl you will have and the skiing part you mentioned then go with the RZ2.
            As stated test them both with the crew you will have and see what fits your needs. Both are going to make the entire family happy happy happy!!

Comment

Another thing to consider is the vehicle you have to tow with and storage or garage space as that RZ2 is a lot easier to handle and store than the 24V

Comment

Either boat, sweet as heck! Straight V for the rough water if thats a primary concern.

Another thought, the only time people think their boat is too big is when its on the trailer in the driveway. Otherwise, you will never regret a larger boat IMHO.

Can't lose here though, they're both real peaches!
                Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

I'll second what JLG said. I have a 2011 RZ2 and made the trip to LOTO for the first time last year. I can't speak to the 24 V or how much different it would handle the rough water. I can say I had mine out on a very busy Sat there and it got rough. The RZ2 handled it but you have to be paying attention, I went pretty slow and stayed close to the edges when I could. I'll be back at LOTO with it again. I just pick and choose when and where I'm going and drive carefully. I love my RZ2 but agree that if you can look at both, decide which one you like and I think you will be happy with either one.

Comment

I've owned both (my current RZ2 replaced a 24V).

In terms of seating area, I measured both when I was looking at the RZ2. The rear seating areas are almost the same in terms of linear bench seating area (I think the RZ2 might have been just a couple of inches less). The bow on the RZ2 has more useable seating area due to the pickle fork design and due to the sloping seat backs in the 24V (probably the only thing that annoyed me about the 24V because it was impractical and put too much stress on the vinyl). I have no idea how the Coast Guard ratings are done, but I think the RZ2 may actually be rated for more people than the 24V.

The 24V has cavernous storage - particularly the rear lockers. I tend to keep a lot of gear on the boat, so I loved that. It's also good for all the weight a 24V needs for surfing. The RZ2 storage is fine, but there is a difference. The 24V lockers are as big as I've seen on any towboat.

I agree the 24V handles rough water better, and it's harder to dip the bow on the 24V when going over rollers. That said, my main lake (Havasu) can get rough, and the RZ2 has been fine -- you just have to pay attention a little more. The RZ2 does handle a little better -- more nimble, quicker and tighter turns, etc. -- but I don't think it's a huge difference.

In my opinion, the biggest difference is the RZ2's sensitivity to weight shifts. As adults move back and forth, the boat shifts considerably. I don't remember that on the 24V. If too many sit on one side, the lean can make it harder to steer. This can also affect the wakeboard wake, particularly at slower wake boarding speeds (17-20), where the wake has a tendency to wash out. It can sometimes be a good thing because I can clean up at least one side by having people move to that side of the boat. But, when the boarder crosses the wake, the people have to move to the other side. Kind of funny watching them jumping back and forth and makes them more invested in the ride, I guess.

Bottom line, I've loved both boats. Can't go wrong with either. I agree with the others -- you really need to crawl around in (and hopefully test drive) both.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X