Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling All Surf Flap Experts (that is you, Duffy)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flap! And also wind and chop, both will make the wave washy.
    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

X2^^^ Found that out first hand, last trip out.
      My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

The flap can make a big difference. I have gone thru at least 6 different flaps. Playing with the size and shape will make more of a difference than you might think. I would suggest starting with a large size flap and trimming it as you go. Just watch how the water comes off of it and make adjustments as needed. Happy testing.

Comment

Duffy, if you're out there, tell me roughly how long and wide your current horse mat flap is? Just wondering where to start in a rough sense.
          Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

I would make it match the bottom of the swim platform when it's deflected by the water to start with, and then work back from there.
            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
              I would make it match the bottom of the swim platform when it's deflected by the water to start with, and then work back from there.
              Will do--how about width? Or just start with 3.5' or so and see what happens?

Comment

FYI my current one is 40" wide and hangs down about 30" with beveled in corners at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by topaz surfer View Post
                  FYI my current one is 40" wide and hangs down about 30" with beveled in corners at the bottom.
                  Perfect! thank you! I will start in that neighborhood.

Comment

Definitely bevel the edges, I did not on my first shape and it smoothed it fine but created a double lip right in the middle of the wake.

Comment

My boat is tucked away in storage still. I didn't go crazy wide, and only as long as it would take to get to the bottom of the transom.
                      Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by RZRCO23 View Post
                        Definitely bevel the edges, I did not on my first shape and it smoothed it fine but created a double lip right in the middle of the wake.
                        What about a rounded bevel? I suppose that is the same, probably a stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
                          My boat is tucked away in storage still. I didn't go crazy wide, and only as long as it would take to get to the bottom of the transom.
                          Okay, perfect. I have also gathered that another length measure might be to make it long enough to "swing up" to platform edge. Even though it likely won't make it that far due to stiffness.

I am excited. Simple little project!

Comment

Originally posted by rensink View Post
                            Dakota4ce, were you running on Okoboji...? if so where the lake has a lot of areas specifically on the north end where a sandbar runs across and impacts the wave a lot. I would also try to maybe add a little bit of weight to the opposite rear corner of the boat...you're right the best thing that you can do is head out with the notebook by yourself on a nice day and a ballast bag or two to simulate one or two people and have at it!
                            I was running on Wall Lake--a puddle over by SFalls. Tomorrow I am headed back, surf flap installed, and the notebook. And some lead bag "friends."

Comment

Working...
                            X