Leaky Ballast - RZ2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky Ballast - RZ2

So I have an issue that I thought was fixed at the dealer over the winter, but on the first run of the season the problem has resurfaced.

Ballast System

- Factory Surf, plus a custom surf sac that I simply replaced (plug and play over the factory)

Problem

- Once surfing the hull begins to fill up with a fairly large amount of water. The plug and play custom sac does not appear to be loosing water (e.g. it is still full and I am visibly able to see the fittings.

- I emptied and ran the boat with no ballast to confirm it was not happening under all conditions - confirmed it only happens when ballast are full)

What I have checked so far

- I checked the plug and play bag as mentioned
    - I also checked one of the pumps that is visible when you pull off the cover under the rear bench that exposes the tranny.
    - Visually tried to spot other items in the hull
    - Dealer indicated it was a faulty pump and replaced a pump (not sure which one or how they identified it was an issue given it was not water tested.)

Questions

- What elimination methods would recommended and how do you get to them?
    - I assume that I need to remove the floor (not sure how), take it to the lake to see where the plumbing issues is coming from - correct?
    - Do you think this issue could be a shaft seal issue? I do not think so, but want to confirm (again it only happens when ballast is loaded and we are surfing).

- What other things would recommend to check or ideas to isolate down the issue?

If water only appears in the bilge when the boat is heavily weighted and listed over and the sac does not seem to be losing water, then it has to be entering in through a vent, fitting, deck cap seam, etc.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

We had the same thing happen to our 12 RZ2. Dealer replaced all my pumps with new tsunamis and a hard tank as there was some slight leaking in that area. Replaced all the pumps as it had some Johnson's I think that had some issues Still leaked a bit. I spent a few hours on the water to figure where it was coming from. Shaft seal. The dealer put in the shaft seal " fix seal kit" that tige says will fix the problem. Got it done when it was winterized and haven't had it out yet. Hoping problem is fixed. Dealer and tige have been great and covered under warranty

Comment

Originally posted by Bibbs View Post
        We had the same thing happen to our 12 RZ2. Dealer replaced all my pumps with new tsunamis and a hard tank as there was some slight leaking in that area. Replaced all the pumps as it had some Johnson's I think that had some issues Still leaked a bit. I spent a few hours on the water to figure where it was coming from. Shaft seal. The dealer put in the shaft seal " fix seal kit" that tige says will fix the problem. Got it done when it was winterized and haven't had it out yet. Hoping problem is fixed. Dealer and tige have been great and covered under warranty
        Thanks for the feedback - was water only coming when surfing/ballast are full? It seems if the shaft seal is leaking it would do it under normal conditions as opposed to just when surfing.

I know there was an issue with shaft seals on some of the production - interested to hear if this solves your issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

For whatever reason it seemed to bring on more water when surfing and more so the left side. I lifted the floor up and looked at all areas--shaft seal was only place I could find that was leaking. 12 had a issue with seals. I live in warm part of Canada but still not putting boat in water for a month or so. Will let u know how it goes

Comment

Working...
          X