Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving tips

Hi Tigé nuts!

I'm pretty excited now that I've had my new R20 out a second time and the weather is warming up. I have tons of watersport (skiing, wakeboarding) driving experience in an I/O and for the past several years I've driven a couple of summer camp tournament boats for a week at a time -- but mostly tubing (and docking ;-) This year I'll be doing watersports in style behind the R20 and I want to gain solid driving skills with it.

I'm past the initial inboard learning curve with my camp experience, I've watched a bunch of videos (ragboy and others) and I've played around to get a feel for how the boat reacts. Here are some tips I've already picked up (comments welcome):

- As soon as your rider falls, cut the power and turn LEFT. The boat wants to do this naturally and it results in a quick, comfortable turn with the boat pointed back at the rider (and no circular wave traveling down the lake).

- To drive around a fallen rider and drift the rope to them, start to the left of them about 20 feet and turn hard right. This is necessary as you want to keep the rider where the driver can see them and a v-drive doesn't turn hard to the right. The result is getting close (but not too close) to the rider and nicely looping the rope around them.

- To pick up a fallen rider, head straight at them (not too fast) and 20-30 feet away start a left turn, then go in reverse for a few seconds. This results in the boat drifting very slowly broadside to the rider, for passing gear into the boat, communicating, or having them a few swim strokes away from the swim grid.

Comments? More tips and tricks, please!

Severin B.
    Victoria, BC
    Last edited by PaceWithGrace; 04-05-2015, 08:41 PM.

When surfing, cut power, let big wave pass, turn to the high side of the boat. Surfing regular, turn right, surfing goofy, turn left. This keeps from dunking the nose of the boat. I have definitely done it wrong before. This is how I do it anyway.

Comment

Did you buy your boat from redline in chiliwack? If so what one? Pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Smcqueen View Post
        When surfing, cut power, let big wave pass, turn to the high side of the boat. Surfing regular, turn right, surfing goofy, turn left. This keeps from dunking the nose of the boat. I have definitely done it wrong before. This is how I do it anyway.
        I've heard that you can use that big wave to help push the back end of the boat around. Out of many tries, I sort of got it once... I think I initiated the turn just before cutting power and going to neutral. Anyone know how to do this reliably?
        Last edited by PaceWithGrace; 04-06-2015, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
          Did you buy your boat from redline in chiliwack? If so what one? Pictures
          Yes! The red and white 2014. I'll post a photo elsewhere so I don't hijack my own thread. ;-)
          Last edited by PaceWithGrace; 04-06-2015, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Personally, I always turn to the right. I usually do this while the boat is slowing down and the force of the wave usually turns the boat without having to go back in gear. Once the waves die down then I put it in gear and head back to the rider always keeping them on my right side.

Comment

What?!!! No power turns?!!!!
              Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
                What?!!! No power turns?!!!!
                Only if you want a face full of shovel!!

https://vimeo.com/22102411

Comment

Originally posted by SBM1234 View Post
                  Personally, I always turn to the right. I usually do this while the boat is slowing down and the force of the wave usually turns the boat without having to go back in gear. Once the waves die down then I put it in gear and head back to the rider always keeping them on my right side.
                  I do the same thing, always trying to keep an eye on my rider in case a yahoo comes barreling down the lake or something. Also, keep an eye out for your own rollers, the bow on these boats is LOW... Quick burst to get over the rollers is sometimes required. Have fun, lakes are all still frozen solid up/out here!!

Comment

Working...
                  X