Storage on a Side Slope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storage on a Side Slope

So, I'm trying to figure out where I want to store my boat when it isn't in the water. I have space next to my house, only problem is, there is a side slope going away from the house. Basically, if I were to back up my trailer/boat next to my house, the trailer would be angled over to the right (right side of boat lower than left). Would parking the trailer (with boat on trailer) do any damage to the trailer and/or boat?

there are blocks you can get that RV's use to level themselves, i'd look into getting some of them to keep it relatively level. How much slope are we talking about and how often will you be parking on it?
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Well, it would be parked there pretty much all the time. The overall plan is to build a retaining wall and fill it with gravel to level everything and make a decent parking spot but in the interim I was trying to figure out what to do..... I might just park it over a the parents house until the wall is built....

Comment

Originally posted by BurnMac42 View Post
        Well, it would be parked there pretty much all the time. The overall plan is to build a retaining wall and fill it with gravel to level everything and make a decent parking spot but in the interim I was trying to figure out what to do..... I might just park it over a the parents house until the wall is built....
        I'd wait for the wall rather than MacGyvering something... Them boats are heavy.

Comment

You could always make a bit of a ramp on the one side out of some 2x12's and join them side by side so it's a bit of a wider platform. Would at least help shim the one side so it was level. Not much cost in lumber in the in term.

Comment

Post a picture of the area. Based on the info you have given there should be an easy solution.

Comment

20150318_083705.jpg

Comment

that's a decent incline and I would worry about the skeg protector hitting while backing, otherwise as long as you keep the cover supported and dump any rain that collects on it you shouldn't have any issues. If you could fir the boat up on the low side it would be helpful and cause you less anxiety as you are already seeing it as an issue.

Comment

BurnMac42 - Are you worried about the brick sidewalk? The trailer and the weight of the boat will destroy it. Or can you park it closer to the tree?
                  "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

What side is your drain plug on in the event your cover leaked or you had residual water in the hull from being out on the lake? If on the port side I would either use some boards or the RV blocks to level it out to ensure it will drain.

Comment

If you don't mind parking on the brick sidewalk, and would park close to the house it would really reduce the decline. Then, if you are good at backing should really be able to create a temporary ramp that would allow the other side of the boat to be raised. Even a few 8X8s together or maybe 4 6X6s to give you a 12X12 block could be dug in to lift the other side some. If doing this, I would either use solid bricks or solid wood.
                      "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

The brick I'm not worried about...that will all be removed (along with the board for the old flower area) so the boat will be able to be as close to the house as possible. Looking at it again now that it isn't snowy out I might store the boat over at the parents house where they used to keep their boat until I build a retainer wall and level out my parking space......

Comment

Don't forget to check if there are any restrictions on parking vehicles outside of the garage in your neighborhood. Or if your parking bay needs to be paved. Had a friend that got in trouble for not checking with the neighborhood convinces and pulling permits doing the same thing.
                          "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

I would park at an angle so the transom is lower than the rest of the boat. Then you can have the only Tige V- Drive that drains Unless you have a center drain plug, Tige's take a good 2-3 inches of water before they reach the transom drain plug.

If he has an on board charger and a couple bilge pumps (on of my bilge pumps Tige or previous owner already put in that corner of the bilge).... should he be any more worried than an owner mooring their boat?
                            Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Working...
                            X