Speedo' not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo' not working

Took the boat ('12 RZR) out today and the speedometer didn't work at all. Just read 0.0 all afternoon. I don't even know where to begin, any help would be much appreciated.

Start with the basics: Can the paddlewheel spin freely? Do you even still HAVE a paddlewheel? Is it missing any of its (typically) four vanes? If it suddenly stopped, it's probably something very easy to find.

Comment

No paddle wheel. Does this mean it's a GPS system?

Comment

I believe most GPS equipped boats still have a paddlewheel. I'd certainly want one - GPS isn't totally reliable and is affected by a variety of conditions. A good helm system would use GPS as its primary source and smoothly transition to a physical paddlewheel as a backup when necessary.

So "no paddle wheel". Does that mean you got under your boat and looked at the transducer? BTW, there are physical transducers that sense water speed without a paddlewheel too. Check the part number on your transducer... it should be on the body of the part or on the cable coming out of it.

Comment

i dont recall GPS speed being an option for 2012, but i could be wrong.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I did have a look under the boat but I didn't know what I was looking at. After locating the part number (thanks WABoating) and educating myself via the world wide web, I have found what I believe to be the problem. It seems to me that the "paddle wheel" is missing.
            20150308_164056.jpg

Comment

looks like the spindle with no paddles.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                looks like the spindle with no paddles.
                x2. "Hey, look at those things danglin' down there. Nothin' but extra drag. Slows my boat down. Let's grind 'em off."

Comment

Ordered a replacement paddle wheel kit. Thanks for the help

Comment

Model #? Where did you order part from? Thanks

Comment

Part:
                      Airmar 33-398-04 Speed Paddlewheel Kit (4 blade)
                      Ordered from:
                      Amazon - $ 23.68 after tax and shipping

This is the transducer info
                      20150308_165452.jpg

Comment

I just noticed that the arrow on the mounting flange is not aligned with (what remains of) the paddlewheel. Some odd things going on here... misaligned insert/housing, missing paddlewheels. What happened to that triducer?

Comment

From what I can tell it was hit in some way. The housing is aligned correctly (arrow pointing towards the bow), but the insert was not aligned in the housing. There is a slight scratch on the insert next to the paddle wheel, but no obvious damage to the hull in the surrounding area. In my opinion it was damaged while putting the boat on the trailer or a boat lift.

Comment

Thanks for the info cal-riss! Would be interested to know if the replacement part solved your problem. Guessing your speed set cruise control wasn't working either (no way to detect speed). Was water temp and depth gauge working? I guess some of these units combine speed, temp, and depth together.

Comment

The new wheel kit solved the problem. The transducer has a fairly long cord so i was able to sit in the captain's chair and watch the speed register on the gauges as I spun the wheel with the flick of a finger. You are correct the cruise wasn't working at all, but the rest of the functions (depth and temp) seemed to be working.

Comment

Working...
                              X