Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farewell SpeedSet! Cable throttle project in 2006 24Ve nearly complete.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farewell SpeedSet! Cable throttle project in 2006 24Ve nearly complete.

Posed the question back in October or so, gathered a lot of information, eventually said screw it and executed the plan. I had a nonfunctional Faria Commander speedo, a paddlewheel that tested to be malfunctioning, and a Speed Set pad that did not work because of all this. Previous owner decided not to inform me of this on purchase......which was nice.

So what do you do? Rip out the whole system. Thank you to Dom et al for the advice and thoughts on how to do this.

I purchased a Morse MV-3 style cable controller that has both shift and throttle cables exit toward the front of the boat. The shift cable hooked up easily, then I purchased a Teleflex Xtreme throttle cable and routed it right alongside the shift cable enroute to the engine compartment. The control required a little modification of the interior panel for mounting, but all in all it was quite simple with a scrap piece of starboard to serve as a mount. Even with terrible upholstering skills, it looks decent. I even used the Tige shift knob (not in picture). Morse controller was $215, the cable was $45.
    IMG_4853.jpgIMG_4854.jpgIMG_4855.jpg

Next I mounted the new potentiometer (PPS) on the support rail back in the engine compartment. I purchased this from Marine Power for $195 on website. I verified with Dom and the guys at MP that indeed it is a compatible potentiometer, and uses the same voltages as the one that is mounted directly to the back of the special teleflex control lever assembly that comes on our boats. It took a little bit of fiddling to get the throws correct so that no throttle increase occurred before the tranny was shifted completely into gear for both forward and reverse. Really quite easy with the adjustments available.
    IMG_4986.jpg

Now a little bit of wiring. I clippped the plug from the harness that used to plug into the helm potentiometer, and likewise clipped the corresponding plug that goes into the TAC module mounted on the forward engine compartment wall. I used wiring diagrams of the system to verify that this was where this harness ended up. It was plain to see with the diagrams. I used spare wire and became a pretty proficient solder-er as I made a new jumper harness.
    IMG_4861.jpgIMG_4862.jpg

I then wrapped the whole thing in F4 tape to make it pretty and durable.
    IMG_4969.jpg
    I plugged it in, and fired the boat quickly and it worked fine.
    So at this point, I have an old school cable actuated throttle assembly in a 2006 24Ve with the MP 340. From this point, any traditional speed control system should be compatible. I decided on the Hydrophase RideSteady system. It has a few more bells and whistles than the Perfect Pass equivalent, so I went for it. I discovered that in order to create more room for the servo motor, control cable and create space for free movement and operation, I had to move the bracket and potentiometer to the port side engine compartment brace and loop the throttle cable around. Really an easy adjustment that created a smoother install with less clutter.
    IMG_5016.jpg
    Finally, since the speedo is not necessary with this toy, I mounted the Hydrophase unit directly into the speedo hole. Wiring was simple, and the system fired up flawlessly right away. It is really really elegant. I am pleased initially with how it acts.

Now I simply wait for ice to melt to I can test this whole getup out on the water. Thank you to all who contributed thought toward this--and anyone with a 2006 that thinks they are stuck, that may not be the case. I have a bit less than $1600 into this whole conversion--and that includes the $1200 Hydrophase unit. All in all in my mind a great price point for dismissing speedset, paddlewheels (I don't boat on a river, but the Hydrophase unit can add a paddlewheel additionally for $200 if I need one), blown pads, and now have tenth of an MPH adjustability, precise control, overshoot adjustment and many many more fancy features at my fingertips. I couldn't be more pleased!
    Attached Files
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Forgot to also mention, had to re-engineer the depth finder function of my Faria Commander speedo that I was removing, so I simply bought a small Faria depth gauge and wired it to the depth signal of my triducer (with a bad paddlewheel). Mounted simply down by the speedset pad. Additionally, since the Morse control had no TAPS switch, I bought a momentary switch and mounted that down near there too to control the TAPS plate. Everything works great. The switch isn't in this pic, but is mounted on the left end of the SpeedSet pad.
    IMG_4864.jpg

Comment

Nice work!!!!

I was thinking the whole time reading this of how you were going to control the TAPS.

My MC had a trim tab and I always disliked how it was not integrated into the throttle like on a Tige. Now that you have it all done, could you just find an older Tige throttle to allow you to have TAPS control back on the throttle?
      Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Nice work! Looking forward to hearing how it works on the water and seeing some great surf pics with a happy family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Nice to see someone get this figured out and give it a try. If I can't get my surging issues figured out on my 07 I'll probably be doing this next winter. I really miss the perfect pass in my old boat. It worked so much better than my Speedset.

Comment

Incredible work! You are truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to post it up!
            I would think maybe add some part #'s to the list so others can follow your lead, if needed.
            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Job well done! Come on spring! Please keep us posted when you get it in the water.
              "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

Someone wanted to see a more detailed set of photos of my new potentiometer, bracket, and Hydrophase cruise control servo as mounted in my engine compartment, so hopefully these pics work.

IMG_5055.jpgIMG_5056.jpgIMG_5057.jpgIMG_5058.jpgIMG_5059.jpgIMG_5060.jpg

Comment

I am impressed! Good work. Sounds like a great option for the infamous 2006 22VE owners. I know I purposely avoided 06 Ve's ..... that and they would out of my budget
                  Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Any pics of what you ripped out and what parts you used from factory setup, also, anyway you could post part numbers or exactly what you ordered from where.

Comment

Also possibly more details on how you mounted taps switch

Comment

How long of a throttle cable did you use?

Comment

I missed these last couple of replies. The TAPS switch is just a generic mounting in the dash. I picked a spot, cut a hole, snapped the switch in, and plugged in the wires. If you get a mom on--off--mom on switch it will work. There are a bunch of switches out there like this on Ebay and such. What I am saying is you could get any one of 50 different switches and mount it in several possible places in several possible ways based on your preferences. I purchased a 23' throttle cable, and it works great. It is plenty long.

As far as original parts? Really none except for the original electrical plugs. If you look at my writeup there are a couple good shots of the new "jumper" harness I made using the original plugs. Of course I used the original shift cable, it snapped right into place. The rest of it is "engineered."

Slingshot you should have a PM from me with the answers.

Comment

Working...
                          X