Cost of boats over the last 8 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of boats over the last 8 years

I was clearing out my boat file and came across all the old quotes I received when we were shopping for our RZ2.

Dealer #1 - 2007 RZ2
    Boat w/options - $66,270 (boat Show Special)
    Negotiated price - $58,000

Dealer #2 - 2008 RZ2
    Boat - $41,900
    Tower - $4,485
    Premium Sound - $2,065
    Boat Cover - $560
    Tige Cruise - $730
    Heater - $380
    Ballast - $1,200
    Fiberglass Platform - $380
    Cleats - $300
    Bimini - $625
    Trailer - $6,405
    Sale Price - $61,695

Dealer #3 - 2007 RZ2
    Boat - $35,765
    Options - $14,098
    Sale Price - $49,863

Dealer #4
    2007 RZ2 - $49,807 (0 hrs)
    2008 RZ2 - $54,672 (30 demo hrs)

Dealer #5
    2008 - $53,269 (Out the door price. We went with this boat as it was the color we wanted and had the options. Plus it was the closest by 4 hrs.)

Then we were interested in the 2013 Z3
    A dealer quoted me this price for a custom 2013 Z3 -
    MSRP - $99,050
    Out the Door - $76,635
    Trade in on the 08 RZ2 - $37,500

We held off. I do not know if that was a good thing from a pricing standpoint but now we have the AVX with SurfX Ballast.
    Just ordered a 2015 Z3, with the AVX and a plethora of options.
    Out the door we are now ~$13,000 above the 2013 pricing. Some options were added some removed. The one positive the trade in value of our 2008 RZ2 increased by ~$5,000 or ~13% in the last 2 years.
    In two years the price of the Z3 has gone up ~+18%.

Looking at See Dealer Cost website the RZ2 base price has increased ~45% since 2007 and ~22% since 2008 (using the invoice pricing of $55,409 for a 2015 RZ2 and saying the dealers had 10% markup).

My math might be off as I threw this together quickly but just thought I would share...
    "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

No question boats prices are out of hand. I wonder every year if this is the year the dealers/ manufacturers will hang themselves, as in people will say enough is enough. I really thought a 6 digit tow boats was that threshold. But they hit $100K a few years back and haven't slowed down or looked back. Its not just one elite boat for each company either. Many manufacturers have 3-4 boats now that eclipse $100K. Personally I have to pass on the $100K boats as I can't justify it for our short season, many times I wonder why I spend $60K yearly. To put it in perspective we are currently looking for lake property in LOTO in Missouri. We are looking at cabins on the lake for $90-150K. How can you pay as much for a tow boat as for a lake cabin?

Comment

I got a smoking deal at the show last spring on my well equipped 2013 z3, under $80,000otd with Michigan tax.

I would still have it if the Indmar 350 motor was not a lemon, the thing would would quit running at anytime leaving me stranded for an hour until it would decide to run, warranty was unless if they can't fix or find the problem.

Anyway I ranted plenty in the past about this, for a trade difference of $13000 I traded it in on a 2015 Z3 that has more options and lists at about $8000 more.
      The 2015 has a better motor and avx rather than the vx, although I had to pay a premium to remedy my issue at least I have more boat and hopefully the new on runs without problems.

Comment

Its interesting to see what you paid for your 08. I've always wondered what my 07 would have sold for when it was new. I had figured around 60k Canadian and I think I might be pretty close. That's not bad considering I should still get around 40 for it in my area if I did decide to sell it.

Comment

PO paid $68K for my 2006 24Ve. Must have been a terrible negotiator! That might have included a pretty high-falootin' stereo system for that day though....so subtract a few thousand. Either way, thats a grip of cash.

I am fan of aiming to pay half of what things cost new. My cars, my boat(s), whatever. Sometimes the purchase process spans months and months, but no impulse buys allowed. Then I don't get upset when I bump a dock or my son spills ketchup on the floor....
          Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

can't understand why they let the 22ve go. paid 60 in '12 for a decently equipped new 22ve. same hull as the rz2. tige should resurrect that mold and create a budget boat like moomba/axis. all the sufability and lose some of the spensive upgrades. it'd be a hit imo.
            2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
            2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

How can you pay as much for a tow boat as for a lake cabin?
              Aint just tow boats. Bow riders and pontoons are in the 100K range for a "nice" one and more for the larger ones with more exotic options.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                Aint just tow boats. Bow riders and pontoons are in the 100K range for a "nice" one and more for the larger ones with more exotic options.
                Yup, saw an ad from a Larson dealer yesterday. A 21ft Larson bow rider was over 50k. Makes the 100k wakeboats look like a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by retox1 View Post
                  Yup, saw an ad from a Larson dealer yesterday. A 21ft Larson bow rider was over 50k. Makes the 100k wakeboats look like a good deal.
                  My local SeaRay has a 21ft with outboard, no trailer and it was $91. Theres a 24ft pontoon with twin 300's. That like $40K in engines alone.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                    can't understand why they let the 22ve go. paid 60 in '12 for a decently equipped new 22ve. same hull as the rz2. tige should resurrect that mold and create a budget boat like moomba/axis. all the sufability and lose some of the spensive upgrades. it'd be a hit imo.
                    We've had that discussion here before. IIRC the general consensus was that such a boat would not sell well, that buyers in this market expect at least most of the goodies. Personally, I'm with you - I'd gladly forego carpet and have simple upholstery and no sound system and basic helm gauges and so forth, to pocket the savings. But you and I seem to be in the minority.

Comment

Even if Tigé brought back the 22Ve it would still cost more. Labour is more expensive. Materials are more expensive. It would still be a $70k to $80k boat imho.

I've noticed that a ten year old Tigé still sells for about half it's purchase price. That makes me assume that in 2023 my 2013 Z1 will still be worth $40k. That pleases me.

I've got a 2005 Larson Senza too. I guess it's still worth $20k too! I should sell it and buy a pile of Soulcrafts or something

Sent from my Passport

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                        We've had that discussion here before. IIRC the general consensus was that such a boat would not sell well, that buyers in this market expect at least most of the goodies. Personally, I'm with you - I'd gladly forego carpet and have simple upholstery and no sound system and basic helm gauges and so forth, to pocket the savings. But you and I seem to be in the minority.

I'm with you guys too. I like the idea of a simple boat with with just simple gauges, a basic interior, and not all the fancy crap that seems to come on the new boats. We rarely even listen to music in my boat, so a huge expensive stereo is pretty much pointless. I look at boats a lot like I look at vehicles. All those nice gadgets that people want are just more problems waiting to happen.

But even if Tige was to bring back the 22ve in a basic boat it would still be pretty expensive. Just look at what a new Axis costs or MCs new NXT. They're supposed to be the no frills boats and they're still out of reach for most people.

Comment

I still believe that a lot of the increased cost over the past few years has to do with insurance costs along with the expenses required to comply with environmental agencies. Hopefully labor costs have gone up and martial costs have as well but there have defiantly been some intangible costs that have increased greatly or simply were not there a few years ago in manufacturing. I also bet there are few buyers that want the basics just ask any auto dealer.
                          "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

That is very interesting information, thanks for sharing.

Core material (fiberglass, resin, gel coat, etc.) cost have only gone up slightly compared to 2007. There was a bigger jump in 90s and early 2000s. Cost often follow supply shortages around war time or military build up. What you do find is a lot of different materials being used today than in the past, especially for the finishes, and many of the these finishes are more expensive. Multiple arrays of vinyl and interior surfaces, more detailed machined aluminum, etc. Most blame the increase costs on the electronic/technology packages, and the investment in developing said packages. When environmental concerns arise, factories move to more hospitable climates, or just close up shop altogether.

Comment

Very interesting to see all of those #'s!
                              Speaking of stripped down boats with no goodies, Tige is now offering the Alpha Z tower on the R20 as a $5k option. You are still $5k cheaper than an RZR, kind of splits the difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X