Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the family

Newer to the Tige Forums.....

Ive posted about some Tige boats that would be great for my family and i have had some great replies by other members and or owners. So really what I am looking for is a great do all boat. I was thinking the 22ve....I have a 21 foot runabout now and we like the size. Now after a few days and replies our outlook hasn't changed as to Tige but has expanded to include the 22v.

Looking for Slalom,wakeboard, and intermediate surf machine with all the bells and whistles.

Thanks for all your recommendations and insights

Mike Shoff
    Shoff03@gmail.com

IMO the 22V are the same boat and are an excellent choice also. Main difference is the engine is a little different, both marine power with same horsepower but a few electronic upgrades on the 22ve. Some of the upgrades come with issues as the 07 and up VE series boats had cruise to ecm issues or glitches. The VE has a transom walk thru which is extremely nice at saving upholstery and keeping water out of the boat. The VE will have the much nicer Vision Air Chair and a nicer looking dash. They both can be customized with ballast to your liking and many of us on here have posts on how to do the install yourself. The Ve will most likely have a fiberglass platform instead of a teak which is less maintenance.

I had an 07 22ve and just like you do all 3 sports. I mainly slalom ski and the 22ve is as close as your going to get to a direct drive boat as far as wake height. You will have an issue if going more than 22 off on slalom as they tend to have a spray pocket, but again its not a DD. Wakeboard wave and surf wave are decent with just the factory setup. Throw some bags in it and its a totally different beast! IMO you can't go wrong with either model as they are the "best of all 3 watersport boats" The 22V will be easier to find and will cost probably 5 to 10k less than the 22ve depending on condition and location.

Comment

22ve....I have a 21 foot runabout now and we like the size
      Going from a 21' run-about to a 22ft in-board is going to be a bigger step up than you might think, here's why. Its very common with late model run-abouts to advertise their length to include the swim platform, where as an in-board tow, the length does not include the attached swim platform. This leads to a huge difference in cabin space.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by JLG View Post
        IMO the 22V are the same boat and are an excellent choice also. Main difference is the engine is a little different, both marine power with same horsepower but a few electronic upgrades on the 22ve. Some of the upgrades come with issues as the 07 and up VE series boats had cruise to ecm issues or glitches. The VE has a transom walk thru which is extremely nice at saving upholstery and keeping water out of the boat. The VE will have the much nicer Vision Air Chair and a nicer looking dash. They both can be customized with ballast to your liking and many of us on here have posts on how to do the install yourself. The Ve will most likely have a fiberglass platform instead of a teak which is less maintenance.

I had an 07 22ve and just like you do all 3 sports. I mainly slalom ski and the 22ve is as close as your going to get to a direct drive boat as far as wake height. You will have an issue if going more than 22 off on slalom as they tend to have a spray pocket, but again its not a DD. Wakeboard wave and surf wave are decent with just the factory setup. Throw some bags in it and its a totally different beast! IMO you can't go wrong with either model as they are the "best of all 3 watersport boats" The 22V will be easier to find and will cost probably 5 to 10k less than the 22ve depending on condition and location.
        Thanks A lot on your post!! Great Info....

Some say the fiberglass platform (Underside Lip) hinders the surf wake where as the Teak does not. What is your take on this. Also can the new convex VX be added to these boats?

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          Going from a 21' run-about to a 22ft in-board is going to be a bigger step up than you might think, here's why. Its very common with late model run-abouts to advertise their length to include the swim platform, where as an in-board tow, the length does not include the attached swim platform. This leads to a huge difference in cabin space.
          Good Point.......

Although I did omit the platform, but i agree it can be a huge misconception as is the steering and backing as well.

Thanks Again

Comment

I had a great surf wave behind mine and I never altered the platform. It does cut into the wave a bit, but nothing I couldn't deal with. I have had both teak and fiberglass platforms and have to say the teak is beautiful but a PIA as you are constantly removing to oil it. Like CHP said the platform and transom play are on the VE is excellent added space. Look to CHPTHRIL when you purchase a boat as he will hook you up with the needed ballast for it. Spend the money on his custom sacs as you will regret not getting them and end up purchasing later on. Several other members on here have done some killer ballast installs also.

Nobody likes a small or under inflated ball or sac unless your tom brady

Comment

Convex VX cannot be added to either boat.

Comment

Originally posted by tundra03 View Post
                Thanks A lot on your post!! Great Info....

Some say the fiberglass platform (Underside Lip) hinders the surf wake where as the Teak does not. What is your take on this. Also can the new convex VX be added to these boats?
                I think (and someone can correct if I am wrong), that the RZ2 platform from 2007-2009? is sometimes blamed for dirtying up a wave. I don't think I have hear about it on the 22VE but I am not even sure if they have the same platform or not. Ragboy did go with an aluminum one on his 24Ve.
                Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Look to CHPTHRIL when you purchase a boat as he will hook you up with the needed ballast for it. Spend the money on his custom sacs as you will regret not getting them and end up purchasing later on.
                  Guilty as charged. I went poor man's enzo sac at first (1100 and then a 500 under the seat in the rear) then upgrade to Chp's huge custom sacs for the 24V.

Just go big on ballast, I haven't met anyone that said "I wish I had less hidden ballast" that surfs.
                  Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

IMO the 22V are the same boat and are an excellent choice also. Main difference is the engine is a little different, both marine power with same horsepower but a few electronic upgrades on the 22ve. Some of the upgrades come with issues as the 07 and up VE series boats had cruise to ecm issues or glitches. .
                    Isn't the 06 the only model with a major glitch as far as cruise control goes? If it fails, you are at the mercy of Tige to get you a new keypad because Perfect pass cannot help you out. I don't recall hearing many cruise problems after 06. Tige used the 06 style of cruise control for just 1 year.
                    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                      Isn't the 06 the only model with a major glitch as far as cruise control goes? If it fails, you are at the mercy of Tige to get you a new keypad because Perfect pass cannot help you out. I don't recall hearing many cruise problems after 06. Tige used the 06 style of cruise control for just 1 year.
                      Pretty sure the speedset issues are mostly in 06 and 07. My 07 isnt great in that regard either. I get a bit of surging at times but its not terrible. From what i remember reading the 07s were a slightly updated version of the 06 but they didnt really get it figured till 08.

Comment

My 07 had issues with the cruise to ECM surging and also had to replace the throttle potentiometer as it sometime wouldn't move when putting it into gear. It gave me fits forever and was a PIA to figure out. The ECM I ended up sending off to Eddie at marine power and he flashed it with some newer updates from when it came out in 07 and I never had an issue again. I didn't end up replacing the touch pad but a dealer or two and I believe the guys at Tige thought it were the pad also which is crazy expensive! Luckily the free flashing of the ECM did it.

Comment

The 07 had the touchpad with the little red light on it too? Good information.

Tundra, what is your budget like? We can better tell you how to spend your money if we know a limit...hehehe. We're good at this around here, I promise.
                          Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                            The 07 had the touchpad with the little red light on it too? Good information.

Tundra, what is your budget like? We can better tell you how to spend your money if we know a limit...hehehe. We're good at this around here, I promise.
                            My background...... I bought a runabout in 94 brand new for 11, got a 28 cuddy repo in 97, and then my current 03 runabout new for 20.....

My current state....2 athletic teens that love water sports, we rv and boat all summer, but be kind..........I have a couple pals that have x-stars....but I don't like having to rely on them for all water sports.

I've always wanted a Tige, but I'm not in a position to buy new again, that being said.......I'd like to find a do all boat without any major past known issues. My budget if you will, depends on the boat and whether I feel it's what we're looking for. I am happy with an older proven boat as opposed to a newer boat.

22v or ve even 20 would work if it does it all (slalom and surf)

Hope this answers your question

Thanks for all your replies

Comment

Originally posted by tundra03 View Post
                              My background...... I bought a runabout in 94 brand new for 11, got a 28 cuddy repo in 97, and then my current 03 runabout new for 20.....

My current state....2 athletic teens that love water sports, we rv and boat all summer, but be kind..........I have a couple pals that have x-stars....but I don't like having to rely on them for all water sports.

I've always wanted a Tige, but I'm not in a position to buy new again, that being said.......I'd like to find a do all boat without any major past known issues. My budget if you will, depends on the boat and whether I feel it's what we're looking for. I am happy with an older proven boat as opposed to a newer boat.

22v or ve even 20 would work if it does it all (slalom and surf)

Hope this answers your question

Thanks for all your replies
                              Not sure if I'd want to slalom behind a 22ve. It's pretty much the same hull as my RZ2 and even with no ballast there's a pretty decent bump back there.

Comment

Working...
                              X