22ve or r20 with vx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22ve or r20 with vx

As the title says, newer 22ve vs a r20 with the vx, pros cons, I know smaller boat, does it feel alot smaller, which puts out the best surf wake, I will still use for tubing and kneeboarding etc with the kids, I imagine the r20 (has the 303) will be alot better on fuel, but is that too small of a motor for surf ballast in that boat. any input appreciated thanks

I had 2 RZR's so same hull as the R20. First there is no size comparison. The R20 is a smallish(narrow beam) 20 footer. Where the 22VE is a wide beam deep and large 22. You could fit the R20 inside the 22ve. So yes it feels way smaller, no comparison. The 303 is plenty of motor for surfing and average use. Had it in my 2013 and never needed more and it is very easy on fuel. Unless you are upgrading, surf ballast is only 1600 lbs for the R20, which it has no problem with. I ran upgraded rear bags in mine(770 lbs vs stock 350) and never had an issue. The only year the you could possibly get a 303 and a VX is a late year 2013 boat and those are few and far between. You see very few R20's with VX period. Tough to find one.

Comment

well I did find one, just not sure on the r20 size, I also found 2 24ve for a little cheaper, albeit 2 yours older and obviously no vx, but that is really apples to oranges, we are a family of four with a cabin on a lake and can have a group of friends with us. How is the surf wake compared to a 22ve, with the vx it would bring it to a 22 footer just not as wide or heavy, what to do??

Comment

family of 4 and you have friends out, I would go with the 22ve or similar. That r20 is small compared to the 22ft boats. They both have excellent wakes, but you will be cramped in the 20 footer. You might even consider the z1 as its an excellent boat and will have a lot more room than the r20.

Comment

My vote is a 22ve! Only reason to get the smaller boat is if storage is an issue imho. I doubt fuel economy will be much different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

which z1 though as I only hear good things about the 2013 and newer for surfing. Price just keeps creeping up and up, as opposed to a little older.
            thanks keep it coming

Comment

If your surfing you'd want the 2013-newer Z1 hull. Much more than 6 adults in the R20 and it starts getting tight. There will be some fuel difference. R20 with the 303 sips fuel, we averaged 3 gph. 22Ve will be at least 5 gph. Not huge but noticeable.

R20 can produce a nice surf wave, but it will never do what the 22VE can surf wise. VX won't change that. Its just a much bigger boat. Really apples to oranges. Also watch out as I see a lot of R20's overpriced. They really aren't a hot seller unless priced right. A used 13 with 303 should be right around 40K. I sold 3 brand new 2013 at year end(2013) for $41K.

Comment

Most everyone on here will push for a 22' when you are comparing to a 20'. As others have said, unless you have storage, towing or lake limitations - bigger is probably better. I have an r20 with the VX and 303, but can't compare it to much else. The surf wave is great on both sides if you replace the OEM sacs, and I am more than thrilled with the gas consumption. Wakeboarding with a full crew and full ballast it will take a while to get on plane, however. But I'm pretty sure ballast isn't doing anything for the wake with a full crew in that boat.

Does the Z1 really feel that much larger than an r20/rzr?
                -edit: just checked and it's much wider. And realized it's 21.5 feet, not 21. So yes, it does i assume
                Last edited by supremedevice; 01-22-2015, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Z-1 feels way bigger. Its actually 1.5 feet(its 21.5) longer and 10 inches wider. The beam is what really makes the difference.

@supreme…yours is the only R20 I know of with the VX. Only one that ever left our local dealership. On a side note did you ever pick up your new mirror? I know it was still there with your name on it when I left in September.

Comment

I know there is one in Japan. And I guess one more that the OP found, haha. Most of us are goofy riders so that was a main reason I got it as I heard about the spray. That, and we got a smoking deal on it! And no, I didn't get the mirror. I'm going to PM you on that …

Comment

We have a 2014 r20 with the 335 and surf ballast, we love it awesome wake much better then other people with Malibus, but yes some times you could use some more space.

Here is a pic of the wake image.jpg

Comment

thanks everyone,appreciate all the info and pics, just got back from boat show, Oh man new boats are so nice!! but wow$$

Comment

granted not apples to apples comparison, but coming from a 20ft launch20ssv to a 22ve, I'd never go back to a 20ft boat again unless it was for a lake restriction. comparing 2 tige boats with similar hull designs, the vx should make the 20 act more like a 22ft boat, but the 22ve is going to have a wider beam and heavier to begin with and will hold more ballast/people comfortably than the 20ft.

no brainer decision in my book if garage/lake/money are not restrictions.

keep in mind on the motor discussion, that the 2 chiming in on the 303 are from minnesota-relatively low elevation. try to run the same ballast in colorado and you might have a different viewpoint on the ability of the 303 to power a loaded boat. not seeing your location listed so might be a moot point as well. I notice a difference in my 343 coming from a much higher elevation in idaho to green bay.
                          2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                          2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I'd vote a 22ve, much roomier

Comment

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X