Fuel Cost Calculator: Just in time for Boat Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Cost Calculator: Just in time for Boat Shows

After the Polar Bear and trying out all of the various surf systems, one thing that has been really interesting is that fuel consumption is starting to soar on some boats. 8 GPH used to be something we considered obnoxious. I think 12-15 is the new obnoxious.

RJ and I wrote an article, which is a bit too long to post, but you can read it HERE.

Here is a direct link to the fuel cost calculator we wrote, since we cannot embed it on this site. You should really consider these figures and what it adds to the cost of your boat before you purchase.

Fuel Cost Calculator
    http://wake9.com/

Agreed on your figures. The work I've been doing lately has shown that boats putting out what is considered a "good" surf wave these days are generally burning 8-10 GPH. During the initial acceleration the flow rate it can be in the high teens (!!!). However, the good news is that averaged over a typical day the overall hourly rate is more like 5-6 once you allow for idling to pick up downed surfers, rider switch time, etc.

We generally figure about one can of gas per hour of total time on the water, and that's been pretty accurate.

Comment

Great article. I never really thought about having to double the ballast for a non listed boat. Makes sense.

On my Z1, I keep track of every tank of gas and the hours per tank. I averaged 4.21 US Gallons per hour. That includes an entire tank I dedicated to hauling some a$$hole across Shuswap Lake because he was out of gas. In retrospect, siphoning gas into his boat would have been cheaper than towing him home. I averaged about 14Gal/hr during that adventure. If we take that out of the equation, I'm at 3.96 G/Hr.

Another factor to GPH besides cost is inconvenience. Although you may be loaded and don't care about the cost, you probably care about having to head to the gas station every day. I know I hate having to interrupt a great day on the lake because you need to find a fuel station.

Comment

I think the fuel cost of these boats is a head in the sand issue for many. The company line for fuel on a 100K boat is always been, if you can afford a 100k boat you don't need to worry about fuel. But with most people financing those 100K(I don't care what people say on the internet…very few pay cash) boats, cost of fuel is a big expense for many. This summer will be better its looking like with the price of fuel down.

Comment

It sounds expensive (five gallon can of gas per hour), but if you really analyze the numbers it's nowhere near the most expensive entertainment out there. Comparisons:

* A day skiing is at least $50 per lift ticket, $150 for our family of three

* A day at an amusement park is at least $50 per ticket, $150 for our family of three

* $150 buys 50 gallons of fuel at $3/gallon, which at ~5 GPH is ~10 hours of fun on the lake for our family of three AND at least seven more (comfortable) or even more (a bit cramped)

I'm presuming we won't keep today's gas prices into next summer's driving and boating season, hence $3/gallon.

Granted I'm not factoring in depreciation, insurance, and other overhead (for either the boat or the land vehicles necessary for the other activities) but even this simplified calculation shows that the operational costs of a boat - even a wakesurf boat producing a big wave - pale in comparison to what it would cost to entertain the same number of people doing other popular things. Take ten people skiing or to Disneyland and you're in for at least a half a kilobuck a day. For that kind of money I can give folks a whole day on the water AND a really nice dinner afterwards and still have money left over.
          Last edited by IDBoating; 01-12-2015, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but im not mortgaging Vail or Disney land, just renting their use for a day. leaving out the price of the boat is like only looking at the utilities used for a weekend at your beach house.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The difference with those is that you go skiing and to the amusement park only once or twice a season(if not you buy a pass and then the cost is WAY LESS). With a boat you are pumping that gas in every time out. Thats most every weekend for many. Then like you said on top of the gas you have payment, insurance, repairs, depreciation, etc. I know personally I won't be running a boat that burns 8-10 gallons an hour. Really hated when Tige went away from PCM as I was averaging well under 3 gph with our RZR with the PCM. Indmar burned significantly more.

Comment

Originally posted by boardman74 View Post
                The difference with those is that you go skiing and to the amusement park only once or twice a season(if not you buy a pass and then the cost is WAY LESS). With a boat you are pumping that gas in every time out. Thats most every weekend for many.
                You can control how many days you do each activity. If you choose to go boating more often than you would go skiing or to an amusement park, obviously it will cost more in total. But on a per-day basis, the comparison is reasonable (again, not counting overhead).

As for the overhead (depreciation, insurance, etc.): You're paying those whether you use the boat or not. Just sitting there, each day, it's costing you money. Unless you rack up an insane amount of hours the depreciation doesn't improve much just because you let it sit in the driveway. So that's sunk cost, gone whether you use the boat or not. Now you're just comparing where your additional entertainment dollars go. Killer death park rides? Or fuel into the tank? Which yields more person-days of fun per dollar?

Comment

we can all argue about cost and value all day long. Everyone owns their $$ and can do with it what they want. I will be honest, we financed the hell out of our last 2 boats....if we make only the minimum payments, we will have our house paid off before our boat. We used to own a lake place and now we own an expensive boat...guess what, we have a lot more fun with the boat for lower payments and "operating expense" Yes, the calculator is great to estimate expenses for a season. My family would rather have our boat burning more fuel and riding level than out old. Why, because it makes us happier. I have less to worry about regarding switching ballast setups...just push a button. My wife is much more eager to drive the level boat and just push a few buttons - this gets me riding more, which makes me happy. All in all, it makes for a more laid back, easy environment for us, which leads to more happy memories with friends and family. For our family that is what it is ALL about! But, that is just us.
                  "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

* A day skiing is at least $50 per lift ticket, $150 for our family of three

Vail is 159.00 per day........

Last year was my first summer owning a boat, there were times when I put 150 in the truck and 150 in the boat in the morning and shook my head a little but the day and weekend adventures never left me thinking about it after the fun was done.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy View Post
                      we can all argue about cost and value all day long. Everyone owns their $$ and can do with it what they want. I will be honest, we financed the hell out of our last 2 boats....if we make only the minimum payments, we will have our house paid off before our boat. We used to own a lake place and now we own an expensive boat...guess what, we have a lot more fun with the boat for lower payments and "operating expense" Yes, the calculator is great to estimate expenses for a season. My family would rather have our boat burning more fuel and riding level than out old. Why, because it makes us happier. I have less to worry about regarding switching ballast setups...just push a button. My wife is much more eager to drive the level boat and just push a few buttons - this gets me riding more, which makes me happy. All in all, it makes for a more laid back, easy environment for us, which leads to more happy memories with friends and family. For our family that is what it is ALL about! But, that is just us.
                      I wrote the article to help new folks make an informed decision, I get tons of emails asking me these questions and asking for recommendations. If the convenience of level surfing works for you and your family and you are out there doing it, then that is great! You would be welcome to surf with us on our lake. I just wanted to break down all of the pros and cons of the various options and then let the reader figure out what they want. Nothing is worse that paying out the nose for something you dreamed about for so long and then getting it home or on the lake and there is some issue that gives you buyers remorse. I have many emails from folks that want to trade in their boat for another with better fuel economy. It just ruins the fun.

The funny thing is, most of these folks can afford the gas it takes, it just doesn't sit well with them. My wife is like that. I make a good living and because of my standing in the wakesurf community you can bet that I get some amazing deals on all BUT gas. Yet if we paid 8+ GPH she would have a VERY rough time having any kind of fun on the water. And if momma aint happy... So enjoy your G23 and to hell with the rest of em. ;-)
                      http://wake9.com/

Comment

It's all what you compare it to. My other hobby has been racing formula cars with SCCA. Low budget race weekend will typically be $2k-$3k. 95 percent hard work, at least 10 hours prep work, and my wife did not consider it family entertainment. Cap investment about $65k and if you hit things it got real expensive.
                        Boats are cheap and a lot more social.

Comment

Originally posted by Smcqueen View Post
                          It's all what you compare it to. My other hobby has been racing formula cars with SCCA. Low budget race weekend will typically be $2k-$3k. 95 percent hard work, at least 10 hours prep work, and my wife did not consider it family entertainment. Cap investment about $65k and if you hit things it got real expensive.
                          Boats are cheap and a lot more social.
                          Yup, my other boat about 25 gal of diesel an hour but it did make a heck of a wake!

Comment

Working...
                          X