Bilge Question on a new (to me) 21v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilge Question on a new (to me) 21v

To start out I bought the 21v I was discussing in my previous thread!

I got it home in the garage and now I am detailing it to my liking....

I've run across something I'm unsure about how to fix....the lake water we ran the boat in for my test drive was utterly FILTHY with logs/grass, etc. Looked almost like flood residual...anyway...I noticed once getting the boat back into my garage that the hole on the drivers side of the boat (what I assume is the bilge pump outflow) has a bunch of grass in the tube.

Will this be an issue come spring time when I put the boat back into the water? It worked during the test but I'm afraid that nasty water put a bunch of grass into the line....

I was thinking about snaking the line but I figured I would get some more experienced opinions before I try anythnig.

Thanks!

-vMatt

If grass or other debris is discharging from the bilge outlet, there is a serious issue, as in how is that kind of water making its way into the boat. So yes, I would want to make sure the entire bilge pump system is clear and working, but also figure out what it is and where it came from. On a sea trial, its nice to hear the bilge pump motor hum when you turn it on, but not good to have it come on and discharge water on its own.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I'm trying to understand how lake water with grass got in there. Is there (was there) lake water/grass in the bilge? I think I would just run the hose into the bilge and let the pump clean out the line. While at it, put some simple green or bilge cleaner in there... slosh it around and clean the bilge!

Comment

Are you sure it's not the ballast empty? It would be more likely I would guess to intake grass or debris through the ballast system than through the bilge pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Well, I could be completely wrong on what this hole is for then if it's that hard to get debris into the system.....what is the hole right next to the upper left of the "t" on the Tige emblem lead too?

Comment

That is a bilge discharge thru hull fitting. That year boat did not have ballast.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
              That is a bilge discharge thru hull fitting. That year boat did not have ballast.
              Ok....I did do some searching online but couldn't come up with anything...Has anyone posted the service manual to this boat or is there somewhere you can purchase them? Would snaking this hole do damage or would you recommend taking it into a dealer? I'm comfortable working mechanical issues I just prefer to have a manual to reference if I need too before diving into a new toy....

Is there an easier access point for that line or would snaking it be the best bet before tearing into the boat itself?

Thanks!

Comment

Ok, on further inspection I think it was just a little bit of lake gunk...

I guess the next step would be to run some cleaner thru the system...is there a write up on how to do that? Thanks!

- Matt

Comment

Since it's the bilge pump you're dealing with, just disconnect the hose that runs between the pump and that fitting you're talking about. It's just hose, held on by hose clamps. Remove it and then you can flush it away from the boat, straighten it and look through it, etc. This will also make it easier to inspect the thruhull fitting itself for anything that might have gotten stuck in it.

Also clean the bilge pump filter.

Comment

Will do...I'll go out and take a much closer look later today...from what I remember I might have to remove the inner panels of the rear hatch to gain access to the hose which is what I was hoping to avoid.

Where is the bilge pump/filter located on a 21v? Again, I am very comfortable working around cars but this whole boat thing (mechanically speaking) is new to me....

Comment

Generally Tige puts the bilge pumps back by the transom, near the rudder, right on the "floor" (inside surface of the hull) of the engine compartment. It's a self-contained unit, and they usually have a mounting base into which the pump "clicks". Unclicking the pump will give access to the filter. Look up in the pump motor too, to make sure that the impeller doesn't have a bunch of gunk it in.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Like I wrote, thrown a hose in the bilge and turn it on. I'd here is a strong steady stream of water out when it kicks on, all is good.

Comment

Working...
                        X