The Great Dakota Ballast Adventure: Updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great Dakota Ballast Adventure: Updated

Hello all--I have been mercilessly bloodying knuckles and engineering solutions for a while, thought you all my enjoy some updates..it is coming along nicely! Pictures of course, I know you all are suckers for pictures. As you can see, I have been a busy little guy relocating all of the gear to aft centerline. You may recall my removal of the bulky muffler a while back to make this space in my 2006.
    IMG_4620.jpg

This of course required exhaust routing changes, which are shown below. The risers were removed and then reversed to point to the bow of the boat--I received new O-ring seals for FREE from George at Marine Power--major shout out to them for their support! After a long and careful hunt, I decided on this setup--with a fiberglass elbow and a curved section of wet exhaust hose. Fewest connections, simplest setup. Hopefully its durable and quiet.
    IMG_4615.jpgIMG_4622.jpg

So all of this messing around has resulted in wide open lockers all the way aft to the transom. My custom bags will fill every bit of this space. I took an idea from WABoating in covering up all the potentially sharp things in the space with PVC caps 5200'd to the transom. I have also rerouted wiring and relocated the grounding block so that full bags don't interfere with them or put undue pressure on them.IMG_4619.jpgIMG_4621.jpg

All in all, the port sac should be somewhere near to 1690# and the starboard about 1550#. Next I move onto the pump install and hose routing. I don't anticipate this to be too crazy, as my boat is already wired for the pumps and locations I will use--roughly speaking. Just a couple holes in the hull to make and we are off! Speacial shout also to chpthril--aka Mike's Liquid Audio--for consulting, assembling pieces and shipping me everything I need. I can't wait to piece it all together!
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Do you have any muffler at all?

Comment

No muffler, but will have FAE.

Comment

Looking great! Keep up the work, keep photographing everything, and keep posting them here!

Comment

Looking good! Can't wait for the surf pics when you are done!
          Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Where is best place to buy wet exhaust hose?

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
            Looking good! Can't wait for the surf pics when you are done!
            This really looks like a great solution. How loud is it with no FAE?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebar View Post
              This really looks like a great solution. How loud is it with no FAE?
              Dunno, I DO have FAE. Very quiet.

Comment

I thought going under the engine with the exhaust is bad?

Comment

Looks killer foo! Really going to be awesome!
                  Germaine Marine
                  "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Working...
                  X