IDIOT MOVE: poked a hole through my transom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IDIOT MOVE: poked a hole through my transom

I feel like a boob. I was hiding and tucking my wiring in the back of my V-drive locker (prepping for ballast action) when I fastened a screw-mount zip tie to what I thought was a thickened transom area when lo and behold, it was not. The tip of the screw poked through by a NANOMETER! DAGNABBIT!! There is about a dime-sized area where the gel coat is disturbed.

Well, I had a pretty good gelcoat ding on another part of the boat, so I just ordered a tintable gelcoat repair kit. I think I can get it pretty close color wise and draw the eye away.

As far as patching the screw hole, I thought I would drill it out a little bit, and plug it with Marine Tex. Anyone object to that? I suppose the screw that penetrated is a 3/16" screw (the darned transom is full of them on the inside, but my luck pokes one through).

If that is considered adequate, please chime in. If not, please advise?
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Items.a...=TIGE&incl_m=F

I am planning on using the white to fix the gel where I removed a carpet strip on my boat. Haven't done it yet so I don't know how well it matches.
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Also what a bummer! My projects always end up with something stupid I do. Feels like I spend half my time fishing tools and nuts and bolts out of the bilge every time I try to do anything. Good luck!
      Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Marinetex is great stuff. I used it to fill screw holes on my last boat. it will work great.

Comment

Marinetex will certainly fill the hole, its good stuff. Down side is, it does not have a finish like gel coat. Its more of a primer look of an automotive finish.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

What color do you need? Depending on the year and the color I may be able to get a color matched gel patch kit. Fill the problem wet sand and buff out and it will match up.

Comment

Originally posted by boatdr View Post
              What color do you need? Depending on the year and the color I may be able to get a color matched gel patch kit. Fill the problem wet sand and buff out and it will match up.
              I have the tiger blue in this picture. I will attach a picture as soon as I can for some reason I cannot from my phone.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
                http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Items.a...=TIGE&incl_m=F

I am planning on using the white to fix the gel where I removed a carpet strip on my boat. Haven't done it yet so I don't know how well it matches.
                I used the Tige Frost color of Spectrum to fill about a dozen or so dings and chips. It worked great and the color matched so I like the Spectrum product. Most people can (barely) pick out one or two spots (which are the first two spots I fixed). Go super easy with the wet sanding -- the reason people can (barely) see the first two spots is the tiny divot surrounding the patch area from just a little too much wet sanding. Rubbing compound followed by polish and the surface was awesome.

Comment

May want to email Tige your HID number have them verify the official gel name from the build sheet. Mine listed both the black and the white on the build sheet.

This is the only blue I see on spectrum gel past.
                  Navy
                  http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Product...513051K&key=it

Pacific Blue
                  http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Product...513043K&key=it

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                    I used the Tige Frost color of Spectrum to fill about a dozen or so dings and chips. It worked great and the color matched so I like the Spectrum product. Most people can (barely) pick out one or two spots (which are the first two spots I fixed). Go super easy with the wet sanding -- the reason people can (barely) see the first two spots is the tiny divot surrounding the patch area from just a little too much wet sanding. Rubbing compound followed by polish and the surface was awesome.
                    Awesome! Thanks for the tips too!

Comment

Very nice! I will shoot for that. I would imagine I am pacific blue, but will look them up.

Comment

Welcome to the club. I was not a member of the club until this summer, and I have put a lot of screws in my boat. I put an extra bilge pump in the lowest point of the hull and it barely lifted the gel coat underneath. I had it professionally done, since it was in the bottom of the boat, and I had a few other small areas I wanted cleaned up at the time. I think they overcharged me, so next time, I will be getting the spectrum color. I used to own Bad05's boat and did a write up on how to repair it somewhere around here.
                        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                          Welcome to the club. I was not a member of the club until this summer, and I have put a lot of screws in my boat. I put an extra bilge pump in the lowest point of the hull and it barely lifted the gel coat underneath. I had it professionally done, since it was in the bottom of the boat, and I had a few other small areas I wanted cleaned up at the time. I think they overcharged me, so next time, I will be getting the spectrum color. I used to own Bad05's boat and did a write up on how to repair it somewhere around here.
                          Good stuff Tall. Found this gem. Thanks for the write up.
                          http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...epair-question

Comment

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
                            Good stuff Tall. Found this gem. Thanks for the write up.
                            http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...epair-question
                            I read that write up before I repaired my. Only point I disagree with is the taping off area -- if you get anywhere near that tape line with wet sand paper, you will get a small ridge. (I tried tape, then had to fix the ridge -- no more tape after that).

I also applied the gel coat a little farther out past the edge of the repair so the edge would be feathered and non-uniform.

Comment

Never drive a screw into the hull. Ever. For those precious few instances were you need to hardware-secure something to the hull, drill completely through and countersink the gelcoat and use a bolt and nut. Yeah, I know the factory thickens up the hull here and there, and use screws on the occasional bilge pump, but that doesn't make it right or a good idea.

I've also occasionally used fiber-reinforced epoxy to secure a piece of Starboard to the hull when I wanted to mount something there. If you're good with fiberglass, you could glass in a piece of Starboard too. But I would never drive a screw into the hull... just way too easy for something to go wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X