Sea Deck Issues 24 Ve Surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea Deck Issues 24 Ve Surfing

Anyone else had issues with the Sea Deck material on their 22/24VE platform peeling up while surfing? We are on our third application of Sea Deck - first one from factory had a flaw and was separating, replaced by dealer at N/C. Second one replaced by dealer peeled up on left (port) side leading edge of platform after 1 month of surfing, and third application, replaced meticulously by me peeled up after 3 surfing sessions. The third application by me was "by the book" based on Sea Deck install videos and applied on a warm summer day 80 Degrees and allowed to "cure" a week before seeing water. We mostly surf left (port) so this is the side that peels up disrupting the surf wave.

Anyone else had this problem and or come ups with solutions for same? I am fearful it is inherent in the platform shape/width and with the warranty to expire next spring hoping for solutions that will prevent this in the future.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to resolve this issue short of a smaller platform would be greatly appreciated.

Got any pics of the platform while surfing to see if water is peeling up the pad? I suspect the pad is just long enough to get caught by some water during surfing and its mechanically peeling it up. I'd look at that spot and possibly trim down or trim back the pad so that water cannot get under it and peel it up.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Ewok, no pictures or video but visually have confirmed it appears to be caused by the water flow around the rear port chine and across the top of the platform. I used a sharp stright razor to trim the leading edge of material as thin as possible on the port side to help but it still peeled up on the last application. Also tried a little cynoacrylate (super glue)on leading edge per dealer recommendation, still peels up. Thought about cutting back Sea Deck material smaller (leaving a 2" bare spot or so) but that would look "funky" as it comes from Sea Deck with material and graphics to cover the full width of platform, +/- and inch or so. Also would make the edges of platform slick without Sea deck material.

Would a narrower platform off of an RZ fit the mountings as an option? Also considered attaching some sort of flexible deflector to front edge of platform to help divert laminar flow but again would look a little funky versus function. Thanks for the suggestions, assume you guys are "winterized" for the season having lived in NCW for 15 years.

Comment

I'm not winterized yet but getting close to it.

Maybe try to disrupt the flow of water somehow. Does your platform have a lip on the bottom? Maybe filling that in will change the water flow enough to prevent the pad from lifting up. Maybe just a clear piece of packaging tape along that edge to keep the water from getting under the pad?
        2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
        2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

DSC_0003.jpgThe packaging tape is a good thought for a temporary solution. I did find some pics of the second time we had an issue. It shows the platform shape and edge. We are still not fully winterized but local lake levels have been dropped for winter rain so likely we are done until spring. Time to post up in the forums to keep the interest going until spring, although we may have to reinstate the Martin New Year's Day Family Tradition of hitting the water.

Thought about a VX addition but not sure it would cure the issue, given it appears to be the flow around the port chine and across the top (leading) edge of the platform that appears to be the problem.
          Last edited by Martinfam5; 10-28-2014, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Looks like the EVA is coming loose from the double sided adhesive tape. In all honesty the best way to apply a pad like this is without the sticky back, and to use epoxy adhesive. The sticky back is just easier and requires less prep and cleanup.
            You can use heavy duty 3M spray adhesive to lay it back down. Spray a fine mist on the foam and the surface you wish to adhere too, let it dry a bit, then apply pressure to set it in place. Just like contact cement.

Nick

Comment

Just tear in off and have the whole platform Rhino lined or use Line-X and match the boat. Looks good and is a non-slip surface.
              "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

Seadek always peels - especially if it constantly getting wet and in the sun. I dont unserstand why everyone wants a seadek floor. I know at first it looks good and feels good. Then it dents, cuts, peels etc. I have had trouble with sea dek for years on every boat we have owned.

Comment

Working...
                X