Stuck pin on Alpha Z tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck pin on Alpha Z tower

I have an opportunity to winter my boat for free in a neighbor's garage. Only catch is that I have to lower the Alpha Z tower to clear the garage door. Unfortunately, since I haven't lowered the tower more than a couple of times, the right pin now won't come out. It won't even turn the full 180 degrees. Fortunately it will turn to the "unlocked" position, so the pins should line up, but it won't pull out. I've shot a little lubricant in there to try to loosen things up a bit, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they might have done to solve it.

Thanks!

One of my 2 pins won't come out without from help from another adult. Take out the easy pin first, then push/pull the tower forward/back while trying to get pin out. This works for me...

Comment

If you have a helper available, try both pushing up and pulling down on the top portion of the tower while the other person is trying to pull the pin out. Since I never have a need to lower it, I have had the same problem and this worked for me.

Comment

I would definitely get a helper to take the load off the pin. Ive run across this on other towers with similar lock pins.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks everyone, I will give the assisted lift trick a try and report back!

Comment

Lifting on the tower after removing the opposite pin did the trick. Thanks, everyone!

An interesting additional note: I found the reason the knob sticks. The little pin that rotates in the channel to retain the entire knob assembly was drilled and inserted off-axis. In other words, the hole does not "aim" through the center of the big pin... it's off to one side quite a bit. Since the tower doesn't exactly look laser-machined I tried a hunch and swapped them to opposite sides. Presto! Both knobs now work fine. The machining on one side is "sloppier" enough to tolerate either knob, whereas the other side is pickier and only the properly assembled knob works properly.

Thanks again!

Comment

If you get hold of your dealer there is a recall for those pins that replaces them with the newer screw-in type. They gave me the pars for free.

Comment

Arent the cracking towers, using the screw type pins?

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ked+tower+base

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ked+tower+base
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Yes they are Chpthrill.
                  2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                  2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                    Arent the cracking towers, using the screw type pins?
                    Originally posted by Ewok View Post
                    Yes they are Chpthrill.
                    I have hairline cracks but they have been there several seasons. I wonder if pre-emptive aluminum welding is in order?

Comment

I would get those welded well before they become a major problem, and be careful about over-tightening the tower lock pins.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
                        I would get those welded well before they become a major problem, and be careful about over-tightening the tower lock pins.
                        I had not thought about over tightening being a problem. Are you hearing this is the reason for failure?
                        Formertigeowners.com
                        I used to be a member in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter13 View Post
                          I had not thought about over tightening being a problem. Are you hearing this is the reason for failure?
                          Looking at the pics, im putting 2 & 2 together.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                            Looking at the pics, im putting 2 & 2 together.
                            From the pics I saw it looks like the most probable cause.

Comment

I wouldn't think it necessary to tighten those threaded pins much at all. It's not their tightness that keeps the tower vertical - it's simply the presence of the pin through those holes. They could be left half a turn loose and still work perfectly.

I'm sticking with my "old style" pins.

Comment

Working...
                              X