Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can AVX have an advantage in shallow water surfing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can AVX have an advantage in shallow water surfing?

Trading up to a 2015 Z3 and I will order it with the adaptive vx.

I was told that somehow the AVX can adjust to get better results for surfing in shallow water.
    My lake is 5 to 13 ft and we find it difficult or imposible to keep a consistant wave with our 2014 Z3 with VX for surfing.

Is it possible that an adjustment in angle can improve the wave in the shallow water? I just assumed that if shallow there is no water to form a wave regardless of boat or Name on the boat..lol

I would go with your assumption in your last sentence. If the depth isn't there it isn't there. How is changing the angle of a device that does nothing more than shape and smooth the wake going to make a bigger wave in shallow water? Heck it doesn't make a bigger wave in deep water. Sounds like a dealer telling you something to sell you a new boat. I would love to see the research on this proving it makes a larger wave in shallow water.

Keep in mind Tige and its dealer claimed their boats didn't need ballast back in the late 90's!! LOL

Comment

I think you will enjoy the AVX, but I'm not seeing how it will let you surf in shallower water. It can change the wave height, but you have to have depth to make wave. I've not owned a Tige long enough to know how the Z3 performs, but I can tell you from surfing other boats prior it seems like 10ft. is the minimum for a good wave.

Comment

photo_1[1].JPG

This is in 8 feet of water with no vx and surf ballast on a 2012 RZR. taps at 3 speed 10.8. Good waves can be had in shallow water. I admit it is better in deeper water but shallow is not a total killer.

Comment

Not sure how the AVX will make a difference, but we notice a huge difference in our wave with depth, not so much with size but the feel of the "push". It is noticed when it suddenly changes and we are unaware. There is one area in the lake we ride that if we shift our line about 10' it changes from 20+ to 4-6' due to a sandbar that pushes out. When we hit this the wave suddenly gives up "push" and if we don't adjust weight on the board/position in the wave we will be dropped out in that area. I would be more concerned with changes than continued depth
          "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Chris Kinsey surfs in a lake that is 10' or less (as I recall). I think he said it's all about having the weight at the back of the boat. I don't see how an AVX would make it surf in shallower water but hey, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
              Chris Kinsey surfs in a lake that is 10' or less (as I recall).
              Yes, that is correct. We surf there accationally. The whole lake is basically between 8 - 12 ft. You can find spots with deeper water - deepest @ 20ft. I will say, the wave definately changes when you hit shallow spots...

Ragboy has made comments about the Kinsey's being the best at shallow water setups. And, I belive the Garcia's Z3 pulled part of the EWT that was held at Nasworthy.**?}

Maybe Ragboy could give us the definate answer..??
              Last edited by jslayde1; 10-23-2014, 01:49 PM.

Comment

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ke9!!&p=736169

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                That is true, but also it seems the VX makes the hulls more on par with each other. For instance, I noticed that an RZ2 without a VX requires more list, and can't take as much opposite weight, and yet an RZ2 with a VX takes less list, like a Z3.

I can't say with the same confidence without testing the other hulls. But I would say fairly confidently that each hull would have a better and more adjustable surf wave with a AVX than without.

I would also add with more confidence that any of the hulls with an AVX will most likely add 4 more benefits:

1. More parity between regular and goofy. This is because you can find a different optimal setting for each side. We found they were slightly different. No compromises need to be made.
                2. More wake with less weight. We worked very hard to help Tige test and maximize the coanda effect. If you look how the AVX is mounted and how it is sealed to the hull, this is crucial. Its mounted along the bottom of the hull so the pivot is at that point so it won't lose seal. When this happens and you put the AVX at certain positions (usually higher angle) it creates significant suction. It is especially amazing to start at like 11 mph and put the taps up a bit and speed up slowly to like 12. Wave just as big or bigger, definitely longer, and no loss of push.
                3. Easier to deal with shallow water since since we found the optimal VX setting is not the same in deep and shallow water.
                4. Optimize coanda and shape for different weight setups. Stock and comp have slightly different VX angles for the best setup.
                Ragboy said this ^^^ in that original thread about shallow water setup
                Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Working...
                X