Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adventure: Got a wild hair and took the 24Ve to a local "lake." Had to drive it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adventure: Got a wild hair and took the 24Ve to a local "lake." Had to drive it!

I frantically put the boat back together this afternoon and decided to drive it. I had already accomplished the task of steering cable change out. Just cannot wait until spring to drive...and it is a very slow day at work.

A good buddy lost his mother to cancer on Tuesday, so he was looking for a distraction, so off we went to a little lake 20 minutes away. He backed me in, I cautiously left her on the trailer and fired it up. All systems go! He backed me up further to floating, then the learning began.

1. The boat backs up like a drunk grandma! I knew they backed to starboard. I KNEW that. But, the first time I experienced the sensation (think I/O owner) I was amazed at how futile right curving reverse is! I laughed and moved on learning.

2. The boat moves into forward gear in a very subtle manner. No I/O clunk. Interesting to me. The lever also moves much easier for some reason. Is it in gear? Is it neutral? Who knows. I sneaked to the dock and retrieved my buddy (then backed up to the right again).

3. Putzing out a bit, I let it warm up. Steering is light (new cable). Boat sits low to the water (think I/O tritoon owner). Exhaust is QUIET. I am amazed. This thing is going to be near silent with my FAE I ordered! Cool! A little rumble, but very gentlemanly. Okay its warmed up, lets go faster.

4. Holy %$&*!!! This bad boy LEAPS out of the water. WOW. Again, think I/O tritoon owner. I am really impressed at the acceleration. I make a mental not to NOT pull each and every arm off of all my kids and guests.

5. ISSUE FOUND: Shoot! Speedometer is not working. Damn. Make a note to check tigeowners.com later to see what that could be. My inspection pre-buy, it was working, and that was just days ago. ANY IDEAS?

6. We are ripping across the windy lake. It feels so weird to be so close to the water (tritoon habits again). I love it! I am playing with TAPS and getting a feel for bow height and wakes resulting. Slalom wake looks nice, wakeboard wake as well. This is with no ballast at the moment. Steering is light. I slow down and get ready for another hole shot.

7. ANOTHER ISSUE FOUND: As I rip a hole shot, the steering wheel shudders and "clacks." I instantly think a crooked rudder has met huge prop thrust and "jumped" the gears in my helm. IS THIS POSSIBLE? The steering cable is brand new, but I could not see the helm gears when I installed. It is very solid lock to lock, and I cannot get it to slip when I go lock to lock with some force......what the heck is going on? I continue to drive, and the wheel seems crooked when going straight. Then I slow down and it doesn't seem crooked anymore. I am confused. Then on another harder turn it shudders again, same sound. Is this rudder buffeting, or are the gears jumping? I decide to take it easy on the wheel. There are no other boats out and I don't need to be stranded.

8. We slow to a surf speed. I can tell with a couple thousand lbs, this wake is gonna be HUGE. I get really really excited. We fuss with the Kicker sound system and are super impressed. The thing rocks big time. Time to go back to docks. I gingerly approach the docks and sort of side swipe her in on the port side. Not too bad, wind aided a bit. Once in reverse with some throttle, the wheel shuddered again. What the hell? So odd.

9. I decide to walk it onto trailer--safest bet, and this thing steers WEIRD. Matt backs the rig down the ramp, and I get another wild hair.....shoot if I am ever gonna get the balls to drive it on, it is now. I note in my head how much tracking fins repair is going to cost me when this is over. I also note the guideons are NOT on my trailer, poor decision. Nevertheless, I am in anyway.

10. I carry a little head of steam to keep positive directional control, and center the boat on the bunks. Up I go! I AM SAFE! I gas her a bit and move up the bunks. An easy few cranks and we are done-zo! I am so curious to see the rudder after I center the wheel.....will it be straight or off?

THE DAMN THING IS DEAD STRAIGHT. Can someone offer an explanation for what was happening? Or did it slip back and forth just right to end up centered again?! I find that unlikely...?

Mission accomplished, time to go home. Matt has to do some funeral stuff for his mom, but was super glad to get out of the house. Lots of nerves, some pleasant surprises and some not so pleasant surprises (speedo and steering noise/shaking). Now I can winterize in good conscience and do the ballast system.

It is obvious this new toy is going to be a HOOT!
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Your driving observations cracked my wife & I up...we can so relate. We just made the switch from I/O's to a Tige a couple months ago. We're slightly ahead of you on the learning curve, but can still relate to everything you said. We'll learn to like the handling more than an I/O someday, right?

Wish I could help on the steering question. I'm sure somebody else can.

Comment

I just replaced my steering cable this summer and I know what you're talking about! It has been a long time since I had a nice new cable to experiance what your talking about. I believe that rudder "feedback" is normal..Others will chime in but with a new cable you notice how you have to actually keep pressure on the wheel to keep her straight? If you don't the pressure from the propeller has enough force to actually move the rudder and turn the boat! It's not cavitation.. IMOP, it's just normal feedback from all the slack from the cable through rudder assembly. like I said, i'm sure others will have a more detailed explaination here.
      2010 Tige RZ2 "Fully Loaded" 650hrs
      Surf Ballast & Enzo Bag - 1235 prop

Comment

I would agree the sensation you describe in #7 is normal. They all do it some worse than others. Mine is worse when loading on the trailer or if you take off hard with wheel turned sharp.

Comment

Thanks guys! It is good to know that the sensation most likely is some type of buffeting feedback. The fact that the rudder was still straight is the smoking gun. I swore at the time the gears were jumping inside the helm. It was a very rapid rattle and shake. Its funny how quickly the mind can work when you hear a noise--I suppose since I was just into the cable replacement.

Originally posted by Vicseek View Post
          I just replaced my steering cable this summer and I know what you're talking about! It has been a long time since I had a nice new cable to experiance what your talking about. I believe that rudder "feedback" is normal..Others will chime in but with a new cable you notice how you have to actually keep pressure on the wheel to keep her straight? If you don't the pressure from the propeller has enough force to actually move the rudder and turn the boat! It's not cavitation.. IMOP, it's just normal feedback from all the slack from the cable through rudder assembly. like I said, i'm sure others will have a more detailed explaination here.
          Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Great Post Dakato4ce! I had a smile on my face reading it. Driving an inboard takes some time to get use too all of the idiosyncrasies. "The boat backs up like a drunk grandma!" is perfect and trust by the end of next summer you are going to use that to your advantage. You can suck the swim platform right around to a down rider with a little reverse and they will think you are a pro.

Have fun with the boat and all the projects. That boat will provide many countless hours of fun family time!
            "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

You are a very enthusiastic tige owner. I remember my first one. Nothing beats getting a new boat and taking it out the first time!!

Comment

Driving an inboard is a perfect lesson in "optimized for one thing at the expense of all others". They do their job very well, but many other "normal" boating behaviors suck. My wife still misses our jetboat, that thing was the definition of agility. You could dock it sideways. But its wake was useless for anything but tubing, so here we are!

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed that and can totally relate.

My first time out alone, while trying to load the boat, I took out a prop, a bunk, and the tail light on my truck. You got off easy

FYI the tracking fins are stronger than the trailer bunks. I would know.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X