Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Polar Bear - Thank you once again Wake9!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is true, but also it seems the VX makes the hulls more on par with each other. For instance, I noticed that an RZ2 without a VX requires more list, and can't take as much opposite weight, and yet an RZ2 with a VX takes less list, like a Z3.

I can't say with the same confidence without testing the other hulls. But I would say fairly confidently that each hull would have a better and more adjustable surf wave with a AVX than without.

I would also add with more confidence that any of the hulls with an AVX will most likely add 4 more benefits:

1. More parity between regular and goofy. This is because you can find a different optimal setting for each side. We found they were slightly different. No compromises need to be made.
    2. More wake with less weight. We worked very hard to help Tige test and maximize the coanda effect. If you look how the AVX is mounted and how it is sealed to the hull, this is crucial. Its mounted along the bottom of the hull so the pivot is at that point so it won't lose seal. When this happens and you put the AVX at certain positions (usually higher angle) it creates significant suction. It is especially amazing to start at like 11 mph and put the taps up a bit and speed up slowly to like 12. Wave just as big or bigger, definitely longer, and no loss of push.
    3. Easier to deal with shallow water since since we found the optimal VX setting is not the same in deep and shallow water.
    4. Optimize coanda and shape for different weight setups. Stock and comp have slightly different VX angles for the best setup.
    http://wake9.com/

Comment

The Coanda boat.....now thats different

Comment

With regards to the AVX, woah fellas, don't go tell the factory to make a change that hasn't been fully tested on all the platforms for all setups that aren't "slammed" all the time. I'm running a Z1 with AVX with a little more than stock (400 on regular surf side, not needed with driver sitting in the observer seat), I am using VX of 1 and 2 occasionally and up to 7 and 8. I havent used 9 and 10 yet. I would be really disappointed if I got a factory update to the computer that would set me at 4 or 5 for a low setting. Also ragboy said the AVX was sealed, was it on the Z3 at Polar Bear? I have a Z1 and a buddy has a Z3 both with AVX and it is NOT sealed to the transom.
        The adjustability is amazing with the AVX, what was most surprising is how much you can change the wave with the AVX, TAPS, and speed, without touching the ballast configuration.

Comment

I will check on the seal thing, I can tell you the coanda effect seemed to be working quite well, but I would like to compare to our Z3, which is definitely sealed.
          http://wake9.com/

Comment

I don't think the AVX is "sealed" but thought it had some sort of gasket between the two. Would have to check this weekend if someone hasn't already answered the question....

Comment

At the Polar Bear event, I set the Z3 up Saturday with 100% front ballast and 100% surf side ballast, and 0% counter weight. I also had 7-8 people in the boat. I ran taps at 4, AVX from 1-5, and speed from 10.7-11.2. The surfers loved the adjustability and the style and look of the boat itself. The wake was also super clean, but the surfers thought the wave was lacking push. Surfers complained because the back of the wave lacked push (meat).

On Sunday, RJ Garcia and I set the boat up similar to the Garcia’s Z3 used for EWT. We filled the front to 100%, surf side to 100% and counter weight to about 50%. (Counter weight was 4-6 inches of water in the surf x bag) (approx. 550 lbs) This could be decreased or increased depending on the number of people you have in the boat. I had 7-8 people in the boat. We also added 400 lbs of lead. 100 pounds under each rear ballast bag and 200 lbs on the surf side toward the front. After running the boat we found that the extra weight was unnecessary for 99% of the wake surfers in the world. I ran taps at 1-3, AVX from 6-10, and speed 10.4 – 11.5 MPH. (Optimal setting on the goofy side was taps 2, AVX 9-10, and speed 11) (Optimal setting on the regular side was taps 3, AVX 8) (For the optimal skim wave simply move taps and AVX down 1 position and slow the boat approximately .4 mph.)

The opinion after Sunday was a different story. Everyone loved the wave, and many people told me that it was the wave/boat of the weekend. Everyone was also very impressed with the AVX and being able to dial in the wave between regular and goofy. I also took some of the disappointed riders from Saturday out Sunday evening, and they were amazed. Most of them said it was the best boat of the weekend.

Las Vegas
              In Vegas with Offshore Marine, I did the demo similar to the setup on Sunday. I filled the front to 100%, surf side to 100% and counter to 40% since I only had 4 people in the boat. This was just stock ballast, and the wake was very similar to the Polar bear event on Sunday.

Fuel Burn - This was running the boat constantly with very little idle time.

Saturday from 9-1:30 the Z3 burned 21 gallons. (4.67 gph) RPMs 2800-2900
              Saturday from 1:30-6 the Z3 burned 22 gallons (4.89 gph) RPMs 2800-2900
              Sunday from 8:15- 9:30 and 10-2 the Z3 burned approx. 29 gallons (5.52 gph) RPMs 3100-3200

Comment

Great post and very helpful info! Hopefully others will try these settings and post their findings with more or less people to see how that changes the settings above! What kind of lead did you use...Pop Bags, Lead Wake?

Comment

X2
                  TigeChaser great info. I am saving this as I am contemplating getting a Z3 with AVX.
                  "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

The lead was the lead wakes bags

Comment

Originally posted by TigeChaser View Post
                      After running the boat we found that the extra weight was unnecessary for 99% of the wake surfers in the world.
                      I don't completely understand this statement. Can you elaborate please? Was it too big, too much push, too aggressive?

I understand that most of us are not Pro surfers, but my thoughts are that we are trying to produce the BEST wave possible - regardless of surfing ability.

Comment

This was very helpful, thank you! Two other questions:

1. Your 4-8 passengers - Were they crammed into the rear surf corner as much as possible, or distributed around the boat?
                        2. 2015's have the inclinometer!!! What kind of pitch and roll numbers were you seeing? I realize more weight will sink the boat in the water more, but at least it gives me a target to shoot at.

Ok, one more question. Does the roll gauge max at 10 degree list? I can hit 10 degrees easy set up for goofy with no off side ballast, but have a harder time hitting it on standard side. I've never gone past 10 degrees on the gauge even with the boat taking rollers on the beam and rocking. Often we only have a driver, or maybe 1-2 passengers (and the driver is weighting the off side) and have to work it get it beyond 6-7 degrees surfing standard. I have less people ballast to work with than you guys.
                        Last edited by 007; 10-22-2014, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jslayde1 View Post
                          I don't completely understand this statement. Can you elaborate please? Was it too big, too much push, too aggressive?

I understand that most of us are not Pro surfers, but my thoughts are that we are trying to produce the BEST wave possible - regardless of surfing ability.
                          I agree we all want the BEST wave possible! My guess is he is pointing out the extra weight, beyond stock SurfX, is not needed to produce a great surf wave? Obviously people will adjust, add to, modify their boats and try different things, but a stock boat should produce a great surf wave if you paid for the "Surf System," which in this case is the AVX with SurfX.

I also printed out the info above and will create profiles for all 3:
                          - Regular Surf
                          - Goofy Surf
                          - Regular Skim
                          - Goofy Skim

On a separate note, is everyone still running the factory 10 mins for fill and drain on the rear ballast timers?

Comment

Originally posted by Bad05 View Post
                            On a separate note, is everyone still running the factory 10 mins for fill and drain on the rear ballast timers?
                            No, I am still chasing that, but I think I am using more time on the rears. Will check this weekend.

Comment

Thanks for your questions.

Everyone was sitting comfortably. The inclinometer was reading 6-7 on the regular side and 8-9 on the goofy side. The inclinometer maxes out at 10.

What I meant about the weight being unnecessary was the fact that there is a beautiful surf wake without the lead. The counterweight was way more crucial than the 400 lbs of lead.

Comment

Working...
                              X