Define "Surf System"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Define "Surf System"

As the title states, what is accepted definition of a "surf system"? Was an actual surf system only born with the release of Surf Gate and the NSS that are said to use a "delayed convergence" technology? Is a surf system only a surf system if it allows for on-the-fly side switching? It seems that if the apparatus does not mimic surf gate or NCC, its not a "surf system", even though its a mechanical device that directly manipulates the wave. Although these devices do not use the delayed-convergence technology, would you still consider a surf system, as its a mechanical device that effects the wave: Mastercraft gen-1 tabs, Centurions switchblade and now its movable tracking fin, Tige AVX, Moomba's Flow and any others ive left out?

This is 100% NOT about which system is better, but solely about the essence of a definition.

Post your thoughts and comments and ideas!
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

I think I have fallen into the assuming it a delayed convergence type of device to provide a surfable wave with little to no list. Not saying that is correct but I think the "surf system" moniker started showing up with NSS (Nautique Surf System) and it was shortly after surf gate so I tend to think about only those systems i.e. Surf gate, NSS, Supra Swell, Moomba Flow. I don't know about Mastercraft gen2, CATS, or MB's new system if they allow for a relatively level boat.

So basically, I think "surf system" = something different than traditional slammed and leaned.
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Surf System = any system that creates "surf"

Comment

I agree with much of what Stingreye stated. To me a "Surf System" would be a device - preferably mechanical, other than ballast - that can be adjusted to change the shape of the wave while minimizing or eliminating the need to list the boat. To me the Tige ConvexVX is not a surf system as it lacks adjustability, it is a hull extension/shaper.

NSS, Surf Gate, Swell, MasterCraft Surf System, Centurion CATS & Plate, Tige's new AVX w/TAPS would all for sure qualify by my definition. The Moomba Flow technically can be adjusted buts lacks some safety features such a auto retract - while still a surf system since adjustment is possible (as per my "definition") I don't feel it is viable long term as the other systems that have been created.

Interesting topic you have created, I look forward to the replies/opinions. I also hope people provide definition and refrain from turning this into a X vs. Y debate.
        "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

I think a "Surf System" is just like you already stated, "a mechanical device that directly manipulates the wave." Regardless of how the individual manufacturers achieve their version of a Surf Wave, it is their SYSTEM. The Tige AVX with Surf X ballast is Tige's version of a surf system. Following the Polar Bear event, hopefully we can get some opinions of the system versus other brands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad05 View Post
            I think a "Surf System" is just like you already stated, "a mechanical device that directly manipulates the wave." Regardless of how the individual manufacturers achieve their version of a Surf Wave, it is their SYSTEM. The Tige AVX with Surf X ballast is Tige's version of a surf system. Following the Polar Bear event, hopefully we can get some opinions of the system versus other brands.
            Very interested in hearing how the boats stack up at Polar Bear. Are you heading out on that Z3 on its return trip Bad05?
            Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Not only heading out on it, but taking possession of it! Offshore Marine is it's new Owner!

Comment

Not only heading out on it, but taking possession of it! Offshore Marine is it's new Owner!
                I bet its goona look good behind a white GMC 2500
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Changing my vote

Surf system = >1 variable to control. So trim plate + ballast = system.

One thing I would add.....as the complexity increases (number of variables), hopefully, the user friendliness dialing in combos of these options increase. Seems like there are enough threads on all brands about having trouble dialing in their wake..... even on boats with reputations of being stellar surf boats.

Comment

To me, a "system" should be more than just "We have more/different gadgets than the other brand!" A system ought to make things easier for the user. Example: When helm controls added memory a few years ago for different amounts of ballast and trim plate settings, that was a first step in the right direction. Things like that make a "system". Otherwise it's just more gizmos and gadgets that the poor driver has to try to tweak and tune and optimize.

Comment

Last night we took out the 2015 Z3 with AVX and within a few minutes Chase from Tige helped Alex from Offshore Marine (who is not only new to towboats and Tiges, but a new user of any touchscreen system in a boat) set up a Surf Demo profile that had a good starting point of ballast %, speed, TAPS and AVX. I rode the setting and loved it. Chase's wife then had them slow down slightly to soften the face of the wave and she rode that with ease.

I agree that more gadgets can equal more adjustability and unless it's user friendly, it can create issues. Hopefully there will be some posts soon, I will for sure make one once I spend more time on this boat this weekend, with some settings for other Owners to try themselves. Obviously things such as people, fuel, depth of the lake and rider preference will all change the settings slightly!

Now I'm off to read the Polar Bear thread....hopefully there are some good constructive posts on the various boats!

Comment

Yes sir!!!

Comment

Last night we took out the 2015 Z3 with AVX and within a few minutes Chase from Tige helped Alex from Offshore Marine (who is not only new to towboats and Tiges, but a new user of any touchscreen system in a boat) set up a Surf Demo profile that had a good starting point of ballast %, speed, TAPS and AVX. I rode the setting and loved it. Chase's wife then had them slow down slightly to soften the face of the wave and she rode that with ease.

I agree that more gadgets can equal more adjustability and unless it's user friendly, it can create issues. Hopefully there will be some posts soon, I will for sure make one once I spend more time on this boat this weekend, with some settings for other Owners to try themselves. Obviously things such as people, fuel, depth of the lake and rider preference will all change the settings slightly!

Now I'm off to read the Polar Bear thread....hopefully there are some good constructive posts on the various boats!
                          Glad you enjoyed! Chase is a great guy!! We spent lots of time playing with the settings Sunday morning prior to Polar bear for the regular side and got the goofy side dialed after the event. The goofy side was just not set right on Day one. The reviews should show that. The Tige wasn't my favorite wave but my favorite boat at the event.

Comment

Originally posted by majestic View Post
                            Glad you enjoyed! Chase is a great guy!! We spent lots of time playing with the settings Sunday morning prior to Polar bear for the regular side and got the goofy side dialed after the event. The goofy side was just not set right on Day one. The reviews should show that. The Tige wasn't my favorite wave but my favorite boat at the event.
                            What was your favortie wave!??
                            Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
                              What was your favortie wave!??
                              X2

Comment

Working...
                              X