Upholstery Kit Wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upholstery Kit Wanted.

I'm considering having my 2005 Tige 24V reupholstered this winter. At first glance, I see a few options:

1. Local shops doing a redesign.
    2. Buy an upholstery kit, have it shipped to me, then have the install done locally.

I called Tige and was told they no longer have the kit available dating back to 2005.

I'm in Atlanta, GA. Any advice on how and where to get quoted?
    brose

brose; I have an '05 24V as well. I cant believe Tige cant supply you with any information you need on the "Skins". Ive heard that some of the other boat manufacturers sell the old skin designs to various upolstry outfits just for us guys that have older boats.
    "Just Surf Damn it"

Comment

Greg; I was also surprised Tige couldn't provide more info. I talked to Lee in Parts, should I talk to someone else?
      brose

Comment

I also have an 05 24V and am in need of the same thing....I'll follow this and see what comes of it. Good luck!

Comment

2004 vinyl was bad material the backing wouldn't stretch so unless they use new backing, I would AVOID. The backing was a fuzzy material that does not stretch so the material pulls apart at the seams. The vinyl guy showed me the difference when I bought my new vinyl. He said the skins were not "cheap" materials then but just a bad backing that turned out bad. The 2005 have a completely different interior so hopefully they used a different vinyl.

I had my seats redone by a local upholstery shop. Price was really good ($530 installed for all the seat bottoms in the cabin area excluding the captains chair) and they emulated the factory skins. I was told the actual texture is often proprietary so you will not likely find a perfect match. I ended up going with a carbon fiber white and carbon fiber silver. It doesn't match the rest of my boat but I plan to redo later.

One thing about factory skins I was told and is noticeable, the factory skins are stretched tightly so they will look and feel awesome. However, if you want durability from people getting in and out of the boat, a slightly looser fitting skin that is not stretched as much will last longer. I can not tell the difference until you step or sit on it and you will notice that it gives more and puts less stress on the vinyl.

I am sure I could have gotten a better "finish quality" for a higher price but I am really happy with the quality for the price and I could replace the vinyl twice for what some shops charge.
          Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I was told the same thing when I called Tige about my 2006.

I have not gone to a local shop to get pricing yet, but that's on my list for this winter. I absolutely hate the vinyl that's on my '06. Its terrible.

Comment

The rear bench seat skin I ordered for our 2009 RZ2 took more than 8 months to arrive. And it did not fit properly.

Skip the skin -- find a decent local shop. (I am still working on that last part).

Comment

I have a 2005 24V and had the small rear cushions covered by a local shop last winter - 2 of them were coming apart at the seams - I had all 3 recovered to be sure they matched. It is a high traffic area as this is where everyone steps when coming from the rear of the boat. The shop did a good job and the color matches the rest of the interior really well. I did notice, as stringreye mentioned, the vinyl is not as tight as factory.

Comment

Originally posted by bman- View Post
                  I was told the same thing when I called Tige about my 2006.

I have not gone to a local shop to get pricing yet, but that's on my list for this winter. I absolutely hate the vinyl that's on my '06. Its terrible.
                  Have you received any quotes yet? I have an '06 24 Ve and the vinyl is/was crap. I have received a few quotes all in the neighborhood of 5k and that is just for vinyl. I want to redo the whole thing at the same time, but hoping to find a more affordable option.

Comment

Working...
                  X