Water Leak on V-drive 2009 22VE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Leak on V-drive 2009 22VE

I noticed this weekend that I had excessive water in my bilge. I removed the middle back section of seating and found the leak between the stainless steel coupler and the bellows when the boat was put into gear. I was able to wiggle the cable clamps and bellows pretty easy by hand. I tried to tighten the cable clamps but it made this a lot worse and water was pouring in when I did this. Luckily I was next to my lift and was able to get the boat out of the water. Does the bellows actually stop the water from entering the boat or is there something wrong with my PSS seal? Any suggestions on what have happened to cause this leak? Not a great way to start the boating season. Thanks for any help.

I had the same problem last year. You can get on their website for detailed instructions.

It sounds like you need to adjust the seal and tighten the set screws.

Comment

I'm taking on water as well and haven't had a chance to look in to it and am wondering if this is also my issue. Also an 09 22ve. I'd be interested in what you find out bigpappa.

Comment

I have someone coming out this week to look at it. I will let you know what I find out.

Comment

I am going to buy a maintenance kit for my PSS shaft seal. Does anyone know the shaft diameter and the stern tube diamater for a 2009 22VE?

Comment

Call Tige to confirm (have your hull number handy). Your propshaft is almost certainly 1-1/8 inch but I don't know the hull tube diameter.

Comment

I made the repair to the shaft seal this weekend. It was actually a pretty easy repair. All I needed was an 1/8 allen wrench once I took the back seat section out. I loosened up the (4) set screws (2 in each hole), slid the collar 3/4" and tightened the set screws and I was golden. I did buy new 1/4-20 x 5/16 stainless set screws to use in case I dropped any. Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

did you ever get this figured out? I am having issue taking on water as well...

Comment

I have a 2009 22ve, 1000 engine hours, seem to be getting water, i have never replaced or done maintainence on my shaft seal. I called tige and they directed my boat has the GMSS system, rather than the one mentioned above from PYI. Does this sound right, any advantage to either product?

https://www.glidebearings.com/produc...-750-x-1-250-m

Comment

Have you tried loosening the set screws and pushing the collar down? I posted above and my issue was the collar around the shaft. To test remove the rear seat and engine cover and run the boat. You'll find out real fast if that's your issue. You may need an extra set of hands as well. One person to push on the collar and the other to tighten the set screws.

Note: I had to close my raw water intake to get my hands in there. If you close it make sure you open it again. I forgot and said I'd do it later......I didn't. Hydro locked my boat the next time I was out.

Comment

I haven't tried that yet...seems like PYI recommends replacing every 6 years anyway. I'm curious which one I have without opening up the backseat? Did Tige use 2 suppliers for this?

Comment

That I don't know. Not sure if you'll see to many markings on it unless you can tell from the look of it. It's in an awkward spot being directly below the motor.

Comment

Working...
                        X