Raw water strainer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raw water strainer

Ok so this is the second time I had to replace my muffler due to line blockage from debris in the water. I am going to install a raw water strainer and am looking to see if anyone has them installed and which one they recommend.
    I was looking at this one
    FORESPAR
    Raw Water Strainer
    Model # 180641 | Mfg # 906066
    Any info and recommendations appreciated

Do you ride in weedy areas? I do sometimes and I really need to install one too.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

I had the dealer add one to my new Zee. Cheap insurance.
      "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

My 24Ve came with one. I can look at the brand this weekend if that would be helpful.

Interestingly, mine is mounted really high on the wall in front of the engine (behind the rear seatback). That means the impeller pump has to lift the water all the way up to the strainer, just so it can drop all the way back down to the v-drive (the first thing the water cools). It obviously works fine but that seems unnecessary unless you expect to need to clean that filter while out on the water.

Comment

I'd be interested to see what you guys are going to put in for a strainer. I had one in my old boat and I was always surprised how much junk it picked up. I'm not even sure what size I need for the intake hose on my boat yet but I'd like to order one. Anyone know the hose size I would have? I still don't have my boat here.

Comment

Trudelle,

Have you actually determined whats blocking the muffler? Thats pretty wild how trash gets all the way through and then hangs in the muffler.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
              My 24Ve came with one. I can look at the brand this weekend if that would be helpful.

Interestingly, mine is mounted really high on the wall in front of the engine (behind the rear seatback). That means the impeller pump has to lift the water all the way up to the strainer, just so it can drop all the way back down to the v-drive (the first thing the water cools). It obviously works fine but that seems unnecessary unless you expect to need to clean that filter while out on the water.
              That's the same place they mounted mine WAB.
              "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Iwndr View Post
                That's the same place they mounted mine WAB.
                They must expect you to need to clean it while on the lake, so they put it up at the top of the engine compartment where it's accessible through the engine hatch. I clean mine at winterization and so far it's never had more than a few little pine needles and such inside after 100+ hours per season of engine operation. Sounds like other bodies of water are quite a bit dirtier.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  Trudelle,

Have you actually determined whats blocking the muffler? Thats pretty wild how trash gets all the way through and then hangs in the muffler.
                  Isn't there usually a screen at the transmission cooler, or was that only on another boat I owned? I thought that is where the impeller fragments usually get caught up when one grenades. The muffler is like a 4 inch pipe, right?
                  Be excellent to one another.

Comment

All I know is that a bunch of junk gets in the hoses and clogs them up which restricts the water flow and thus burns up my muffler. I think one of the problems here at lake of the ozarks is that people burn there leaves on the shoreline when the water level is low then when they raise the water level all the leaves that didn't get burnt end up in the lake. Then you have all the increased misc garbage in the water during tourist season.

Comment

The trash is in the hoses where the water enters the boat system

Comment

Do you by chance have something other than the 340 HP engine?

Isn't there a chronic problem with the higher HP engine burning mufflers? Evilone dealt with this, IIRC
                        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

I've got the 5.7L 340hp engine....

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                            Isn't there usually a screen at the transmission cooler, or was that only on another boat I owned? I thought that is where the impeller fragments usually get caught up when one grenades.
                            On my 24Ve, the transmission cooler is upstream of the impeller pump. The water flows through things in the following order:
                            1) Thruhull
                            2) Strainer
                            3) V-drive
                            4) Transmission cooler
                            5) Raw water (impeller) pump
                            ...and thence to the engine, circulation pump, etc.

So theoretically, the transmission cooler screen would catch things from the lake on a boat without a strainer, but impeller fragments would go straight into the engine.

Comment

I ordered mine from McMaster Carr. I want to say it was $30 or so shipped. 1-1/4" with a clear bowl.
                              2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

Comment

Working...
                              X