Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Stupid things have you done/seen boating - we can all laugh and learn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Stupid things have you done/seen boating - we can all laugh and learn.

Similar thread over on WW and I loved reading it whilst TO was down so I thought I'd Start one here, here goes:

Out on the Lake last summer with my Centurion Lightning C4 with some friends. jump to the back and explain to guest how to flip surfboard up etc. etc. etc. whilst 4 kids are mulling about the boat. When I go to start the boat, nothing. I can hear the solenoid click but the engine doesn't Crank. spent about an hour trouble shooting incl. fuel lines, fuses, battery etc. I even took the ignition tumbler out and checked it, all to no avail. eventually I get someone to tow me about two miles back to the dock where we load the boat and let the kids have a swim before we head home. About halfway home it occurs to me that my 2 year old was "driving" the boat whilst I had been on the back teaching. I pull over and jiggle the throttle, try to crank it once more and it immediately fires up it seems my son had knocked it out of neutral whilst buggering around behind the wheel, so I strapped him to the hood of the truck for the last 70km home

Similar scenario.

I once had a boat that wouldn't start. After what seemed like an eternity of troubleshooting, I had taken off my T-shirt and put it at the right side of the driver's seat and had disengaged the safety lanyard.

On a side note, I have the safety lanyard wires reversed now. That makes it so that when you put the lanyard on, the boat won't start. Sort of an anti-theft device if I am going to be leaving the boat at the dock. The safety lanyard is tucked away in the glove box.
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

First season with our boat and the first long distance tow from StL down to Lake Norfork in Arkansas. On the way, I picked the boat up from being serviced at the dealer.

The private house we rented was one of several that shared an incredibly steep and curvy "road" (more like a goat path) down to a ramp and docks. So early evening, I dragged our 2009 RZ2 down that hill with a Nissan Armada (9000 lb tow capacity).

Once in the water, I tried to start the boat and nothing happened. Luckily, I had not disconnected from the trailer. I tried to trouble shoot but failed miserably. Pulled it out of the water and started towing it back up the hill (more like a cliff from that perspective). Some a$$ behind me with zero patience was pissed and blowing his horn as the tranny on the Armada overheated and the truck started bucking. So I would stop and let everything cool down, then make it anout hundred feet or so. It was probably thirty+ minutes to get the boat drug back up the hill. And I was STRESSED out by the end and upset that our new boat might be out of commission for the vacation week.

I posted here on TO and got some helpful hints but nothing I could act on that night. I drank some rum to decompress (like I said, I was STRESSED). At around 4 am, I sat up in bed thinking "battery isolator". I had never used the isolator as we kept the boat on a lift and always had the onboard charger plugged in to dock power. So I got up, went outside, peeled back the cover, and opened the rear hatch. OFF. Sigh...

I went back to bed. In the morning, one or two TO users had guessed the problem correctly and I admitted I was an idiot. Problem was I never used the isolator and the dealer had (properly) shut it off. Put the boat in the water (at a different ramp) and had a great week.

Comment

This one isnt my mistake but a dealer in Dallas

Last year buddy of mine went to Dallas and picked up a 96 bu. Drove great while down there. The dealer wanted to do change all oils for him and due tune up. So they didnt think anything about it. Got it out to the lake about 95 out that day. Boat wouldnt start and naturally full of his family and friends. I was all the way across the lake. So jumped on jet ski to see if I could firgure it out for him. On the way safed some retard that thought it was a good idea to swim after a basket ball that was floating away. He bobbed his head under a few times before I grabbed him. So for him it was a good thing boat didnt start. Anyways finally got to the ramp and started looking at the boat. For some reason the dealer pulled back the electrical Indmar cover and when he put it back down he cut the coil wire. The wire was just long enough I was able to take the boot apart and fix it for the day. Barely touched the key fired right up. As hot as my friend was the sign of relief on his face was worth it.

Comment

A long time ago when I had my first Tigé, (2001 23V) I was driving the boat on the trailer as my wife was driving my truck. I got the bow hooked up and told her to go but couldn’t figure out why everyone on the ramp was staring at me. I thought maybe they thought I had a great looking boat. About 2-3 minutes later when we get to my storage spot I hear an engine running. Turns out I left the engine on and of course an fried impeller.

Also, I have left the plug out once before and have left the rear tie downs still strapped while trying to launch. I believe everyone has or will do that at least once in their boating life.

Comment

probably the most common one I see is a toss up. trailer in the lake too deep... last summer I saw the whole front bow ride up a tailgate, and back down.. that made amazing grinding sound.....

another mistake i see and kinda enjoy watching is the the dock smacker... coming to fast at the dock and then trying to slam in in reverse to avoid hitting it... usually to late.. seen a few peeps go for swim on this move last year a well... always a good entertainment.

last year. was probably the best... older boat. guys boat wont start.. still takes it off the trailer, walks it to the dock with a rope.... 20 minutes later still no go.. walks boat back... makes wife and child go get truck and trailer... try putting the boat back on with the rope.. its crooked and off center looks like its going to fall off... rope is snaged on rear bunk so it wont go all the way on.. .but they think they are going to just drive away... and then bam... trailer falls off the hitch and rolls under the boat.. and into the lake.. they had no hitch pin?? we record the whole ordeal.. guy gets pissed demands my camera after all is said and done... I pretty much tell him where to go and how to get there.. and he can see it on youtube... good times.... lol
            2011 Tigé RZ4
            www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

Originally posted by gcombe74 View Post
              probably the most common one I see is a toss up. trailer in the lake too deep... last summer I saw the whole front bow ride up a tailgate, and back down.. that made amazing grinding sound.....

another mistake i see and kinda enjoy watching is the the dock smacker... coming to fast at the dock and then trying to slam in in reverse to avoid hitting it... usually to late.. seen a few peeps go for swim on this move last year a well... always a good entertainment.

last year. was probably the best... older boat. guys boat wont start.. still takes it off the trailer, walks it to the dock with a rope.... 20 minutes later still no go.. walks boat back... makes wife and child go get truck and trailer... try putting the boat back on with the rope.. its crooked and off center looks like its going to fall off... rope is snaged on rear bunk so it wont go all the way on.. .but they think they are going to just drive away... and then bam... trailer falls off the hitch and rolls under the boat.. and into the lake.. they had no hitch pin?? we record the whole ordeal.. guy gets pissed demands my camera after all is said and done... I pretty much tell him where to go and how to get there.. and he can see it on youtube... good times.... lol
              TO demands vid!! please please please

Comment

Boat ramp, Sunday afternoon. White trash crew from hell. Dirtbag husband yelling from the crappy 16' outboard at the skragly wife in jacked up '78 Chevy stepside with no paint and giant Rottweiler barking and slobbering in the back along with a few of their brother cousins. She finally gets the trailer in the water, they get the boat on. Still pissed off, the husband gets behind the wheel and guns it up the ramp, boat falls right off the trailer and onto the ramp. They stop, all the dudes get out, pick the boat up off the ground, put it back on the trailer and drive off.
                You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Greg - Post the link to the video please!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                    Boat ramp, Sunday afternoon. White trash crew from hell. Dirtbag husband yelling from the crappy 16' outboard at the skragly wife in jacked up '78 Chevy stepside with no paint and giant Rottweiler barking and slobbering in the back along with a few of their brother cousins. She finally gets the trailer in the water, they get the boat on. Still pissed off, the husband gets behind the wheel and guns it up the ramp, boat falls right off the trailer and onto the ramp. They stop, all the dudes get out, pick the boat up off the ground, put it back on the trailer and drive off.
                    Team Work! That's what makes boating fun. Having to do it all yourself sucks.

Comment

I dont have the vid here.. and I never loaded to youtube as well.. but the last two pics on this site... (which is my own) are that story..hahah

its just ironic that this topic was posted... never planned on sharing anything here.. its just kind of a living memory... of sorts... but of what we see.. and go WTF?

and for the site there are rules.. see any boat that has a dog.. auto goes to boats and hoes.. not sure why.. just does.

Bro boat... all guys.. no chicks.

should have left up there drunk chicks bump and grind..

the rest is just off color humor.. and so be it...

http://www.baywatching.com/trailerti...?currentpage=2
                      Last edited by WakerideN; 04-02-2013, 05:32 PM.
                      2011 Tigé RZ4

Comment

Let's see....I've forgotten the rear straps, safety lanyard came loose, boat was not in neutral and I'm sure a couple more things will happen in the future.

Heck, when I was first looking at buying a boat. I went on a test drive with the owner, my wife and my father-in-law. The thing fired right up, sounded great. The owner parked the truck and trailer and came running down the hill. I told him that something didn't smell right, but he insisted the boat ran like a top....nothing to worry about. He said he didn't get it out the season before, so it was probably just burning some old fuel. We get out of the no-wake zone and he told me to hit it. I hit it alright, but nothing happened. And by nothing I mean, we didn't go anywhere and the engine compartment started billowing smoke! Even after all that, he insisted the boat was just fine and that I should keep giving it more gas. Finally, I told him I was going to turn it off and find someone to tow us in. Moral of the story.....don't let your impeller sit for 2 years. He fried the impeller and motor and ended up paying a ton to get it fixed. Needless to say, I passed on that boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                          Team Work! That's what makes boating fun. Having to do it all yourself sucks.
                          thats one of my favorite sites... guy runs, works his *** off.. wife and kids sit on the dock... watching the "magic" happen.. lol
                          2011 Tigé RZ4

Comment

Not exactly along the same lines, but good story none the less

Buddy took his Malibu 25' in to a shop to get it detailed. Got it back and took friends and family out to the lake. When he gets to the ramp he cannot find the plug. Searches the boat and nothing, so he proceeds to spend the next two hours driving around looking for a plug. He finally finds one at Academy and gets back to the ramp. By this point his temper is running a bit warm. Leave the ramp and everyone decides they are hungry so they head across the lake to grab some food. Ties the boat up and heads in. 10 - 15 minutes later realizes he forgot his wallet so he goes back to the boat. Bilge pumps spewing gallons of water out both sides of the boat.

He jumps in and checks the new plug, but that not the problem. Proceeds to search the boat and discovers the bottom plug is missing and water is pouring in. He runs inside and gets everyone back on board to start back across the lake. Even at full power with the big 8.1L engine the boat won't plane. He is basically plowing water trying to get back to the trailer. He makes it back and get the boat back on the trailer, but I sure would not want to be the guy at the shop come the next Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by bman- View Post
                              Not exactly along the same lines, but good story none the less

Buddy took his Malibu 25' in to a shop to get it detailed. Got it back and took friends and family out to the lake. When he gets to the ramp he cannot find the plug. Searches the boat and nothing, so he proceeds to spend the next two hours driving around looking for a plug. He finally finds one at Academy and gets back to the ramp. By this point his temper is running a bit warm. Leave the ramp and everyone decides they are hungry so they head across the lake to grab some food. Ties the boat up and heads in. 10 - 15 minutes later realizes he forgot his wallet so he goes back to the boat. Bilge pumps spewing gallons of water out both sides of the boat.

He jumps in and checks the new plug, but that not the problem. Proceeds to search the boat and discovers the bottom plug is missing and water is pouring in. He runs inside and gets everyone back on board to start back across the lake. Even at full power with the big 8.1L engine the boat won't plane. He is basically plowing water trying to get back to the trailer. He makes it back and get the boat back on the trailer, but I sure would not want to be the guy at the shop come the next Monday.
                              Good story. Mad me laugh.

And for that..............I will install a secondary super duty bilge pump this spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X