How do vehicle tow rating laws work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do vehicle tow rating laws work

Im trying to figure out how vehicle tow ratings work. So for instance I have a 2012 Jeep wrangler unlimited with a 3500lb tow rating. Does this rating change if the trailer has brakes on it? I spoke to Tony (at Tige) and he was under the impression that those ratings are if you dont have trailer brakes. Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by barry1me View Post
    Im trying to figure out how vehicle tow ratings work. So for instance I have a 2012 Jeep wrangler unlimited with a 3500lb tow rating. Does this rating change if the trailer has brakes on it? I spoke to Tony (at Tige) and he was under the impression that those ratings are if you dont have trailer brakes. Any help would be appreciated.
    I believe every vehicle has a GCVW, gross combined vehicle weight, meaning the weight of both the tow vehicle and the item being towed. If you go over that your insurance may not cover you and you can get a ticket. Bigger engines, brakes, helper springs, tires, etc.. do not add to the GCVW.
    Last edited by skippabcool; 01-29-2013, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skippabcool View Post
      I believe every vehicle has a GCVW, gross combined vehicle weight, meaning the weight of both the tow vehicle and the item being towed. If you go over that your insurance may not cover you and you can get a ticket. Bigger engines, brakes, helper springs, tires, etc.. do not add to the GCVW.
      so it doesnt matter whether trailer has brakes on it?

Comment

so it doesnt matter whether trailer has brakes on it?
        it absolutely doesn't. Trailer brakes are required for loads over a certain weight.

Comment

ok thanks so much for this information. Looks like I may have to spring for the hemi now on the tow vehicle.

Comment

How far are you towing barry? If you are just towing a few miles or something, you might be ok. Sorry if I caused you to worry with the other thread....

Comment

ok thanks so much for this information. Looks like I may have to spring for the hemi now on the tow vehicle.
              It is a good reason to get a Hemi.

I just bought a Durango with a Hemi. I am going to see what it will do towing my boat. Probably not as good as my Ram diesel but still I am interested to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                How far are you towing barry? If you are just towing a few miles or something, you might be ok. Sorry if I caused you to worry with the other thread....
                you cost me $10k! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by skippabcool View Post
                  It is a good reason to get a Hemi.

I just bought a Durango with a Hemi. I am going to see what it will do towing my boat. Probably not as good as my Ram diesel but still I am interested to find out.
                  what kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

Comment

what kind of fuel mileage are you getting?
                    I won't start really driving it until the end of the week. It is replacing my current work car. For the first 300 miles it is at 16 mpg.

Comment

you cost me $10k! lol.
                      Not saying that your thinking is wrong but just be careful. It's a common misconception that the engine changes tow rating. This is not true. While it may help you in towing larger loads, tow rating is based on several factors such as transmission, driveline, suspension,brakes, unloaded weight of the vehicle, and frame capabilities. Don't think just because you buy a vehicle and opt for the larger engine that your tow rating goes up. Check the manual and the hitch limitations.

You wouldn't tow a Tige with a Charger would you?
                      Last edited by wired1236; 01-29-2013, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wired1236 View Post
                        Funny you mention this because my dad hauled his ski boat around with his '73 Charger.

Comment

Not saying that your thinking is wrong but just be careful. It's a common misconception that the engine changes tow rating. This is not true. While it may help you in towing larger loads, tow rating is based on several factors such as transmission, driveline, suspension,brakes, unloaded weight of the vehicle, and frame capabilities. Don't think just because you buy a vehicle and opt for the larger engine that your tow rating goes up. Check the manual and the hitch limitations.

Depending on which vehicle adding the hemi changes the transmission and the gearing which does increase the tow limits.

Comment

I have a 2012 Jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited tow rating 3500lbs

looking at a 2013 Jeep grand cherokee 3.6L tow rating 5000lbs....same motor and same trans as my Wrangler yet 1500lbs better tow rating....this is due to load leveling rear suspension option

or

2013 Jeep grand cherokee 5.7l Hemi tow rating 7500lbs

Comment

you cost me $10k! lol.
                              Doh!

Comment

Working...
                              X