more advice opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more advice opinions

Hey guys kicking around the thought of starting a little side business of taking people out on the boat as we will be in a lake vacation community. A couple other companies do it and charge at least 110 bucks a hour. This includes the operator (me).There is a few companies that rent boats out without operator for 3500 a week or 15000 a month. I dont want to go that route. Any opinions-info to see if its something I will pursue would be appreciated. This is a list of the things I have to obtain-- look into. Not sure if I have missed anything.
    Insurance
    Release forms done up by lawyer
    Will develope a website
    Business licence
    Of course different sized boards and vests
    Might even get my father in law involved and rent out his pontoon boat.Our summers are short and people love to get out on the water.
    Thanks

Squids wake/Allan Kendall could probably help you out, he is all setup for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bibbs View Post
      Hey guys kicking around the thought of starting a little side business of taking people out on the boat as we will be in a lake vacation community. A couple other companies do it and charge at least 110 bucks a hour. This includes the operator (me).There is a few companies that rent boats out without operator for 3500 a week or 15000 a month. I dont want to go that route. Any opinions-info to see if its something I will pursue would be appreciated. This is a list of the things I have to obtain-- look into. Not sure if I have missed anything.
      Insurance
      Release forms done up by lawyer
      Will develope a website
      Business licence
      Of course different sized boards and vests
      Might even get my father in law involved and rent out his pontoon boat.Our summers are short and people love to get out on the water.
      Thanks
      The water is too cold up there. You'd have to pay me to go on your boat and go skiing.

Comment

I personally think once you get all the things in your list taken care of you are going to see why folks charge $110/hr.

Comment

Captains license OUPV Six Pack "inland" license for noninspected vessels may want to look into it since you will be charging. I am about to take the class to get mine there are a few options either through online with a standardized test in a class room or an actual classroom class.

Comment

Got the licence already. Rest of the stuff wont be that costly from what I have found out so far. Will be costly if I decide I should buy a new boat each year--LOL

Comment

Originally posted by rensink View Post
              Captains license OUPV Six Pack "inland" license for noninspected vessels may want to look into it since you will be charging. I am about to take the class to get mine there are a few options either through online with a standardized test in a class room or an actual classroom class.
              ahem....
              Every Okoboji night boat ride I have even taken has involved seeing Messeur's Rensink and Spenchy with a boatfull of people; mostly of the opposite gender, and each passenger much more attractive than either of them! I have no doubt of their respective ability to fill a boat....

Comment

What you'll need:
                1) United States Coast Guard license (required for anyone with passengers for hire), no more than 6 passengers.
                2) Business license
                3) Six pack insurance with liability for passengers in the water/wakeboarding usually $2,000,000.

You say you've already got the license but I now see you're in Canada whereas the United States regulations are much more comprehensive with licensing. I personally cannot speak for how things work in Canada regarding passengers for hire so the above information is for use in the United States. I am 100GRT near coastal.
                Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by murphini View Post
                  ahem....
                  Every Okoboji night boat ride I have even taken has involved seeing Messeur's Rensink and Spenchy with a boatfull of people; mostly of the opposite gender, and each passenger much more attractive than either of them! I have no doubt of their respective ability to fill a boat....
                  haha well there is certainly nothing wrong with that is there? haha I want to get mine for work and just for the education of everything cause hey ya never know what might come around for an opportunity!

Comment

Working...
                  X