Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Vehicle

I know this will probably turn into a car bashing thread but here it goes -

I am looking for some advice on a new vehicle for my wife. I thought with everyone’s different car passions and knowledge here you could help us.
    We currently have a 2003 VW Passat Wagon. It has serviced us well these past 10 years and only has 115,000 miles on it. We like the added capacity of a wagon but are looking for better gas mileage, 4 wheel or all-wheel drive and newer technology. We are not brand loyalists. We will go with what we think is the best looking with the best technology for the best price.

We have narrowed it down to the following.
    2012 Land Rover Evoque 5 dr. Dealer demo with 3,000 miles on it - good deal. Down side closest dealer is 60 miles away
    2013 Volvo C60 - Down side closest dealer is 60 miles away
    2013 Audi All Road
    2013 Audi Q5
    2012 Infiniti FX35 - Down side closest dealer is 60 miles away but local Nissan dealer can service it.

Unfortunately, nothing from Ford, Chevy/GMC, Dodge/Jeep, Toyota, Subaru get us excited.

Help us.
    "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Look for that Q5 in a diesel or maybe even check out the VW Touareg too (if you like those). I've seen good reviews on the VW/Mercedes/Audi diesel utes as being pretty good tow vehicles too. We got a new TDI Passat back in June and love it, 14k miles on it already and couldn't be happier. There are so many choices out there now in the category that you are looking at.

Comment

I've had two friends that owned Touareg when they were introduced, they both had issues with their air ride suspension after 60K miles and both traded them in swearing off VW. I'm sure since then they have fixed those issues, but I would check into it before.

We've recently decided that having two identical Tacomas wasn't the best choice of vehicles for a married couple planning for a distant future family. So we sold both trucks and bought a Duramax for all the hauling. We are now looking for a used BMW 540i (or 525i) wagon. I know the newer models you can get in all wheel drive in need be. Another SUV I'd look at is the BMW X3 or X5 diesel (I'm not sure what mpg they are getting but its probably a bit less than double their gas models.) Though up in WI you may want to stay away from diesels due to their higher temperature fuel gelling point.

I'm not sure how much room you need, but I've always been a fan of the Audi A3s

Comment

FYI, the BMWs tow really well but are absolutely awful in the snow. Without a dedicated set Blizzaks, forget about making it anywhere in more than 1/2" of snow.

From your short list, I would go Audi all the way.

I do hear good things about the new VWs.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I would go Audi. If you liked VW you'll love Audi. Go diesel for max fuel economy. I have 2 friends with TDI Jettas, one drives it like a race car and gets 42mpg, the other babies it and tries to max mpg and he gets 52-55.
          2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
          2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Out of that list I would go with the Evoque for just how damn sexy that thing is. It was also voted the 2012 vehicle of the year.

Honestly though I don't think you can go wrong with any of those vehicles you have listed.

Comment

So wrong about bmw's. Bmw's all wheel drive system is the best I have ever driven (mercedes, toyota, honda, and subaru). Bmw's transfer all power to the wheels that have the most traction. Put one side of the car on gravel and the other on the street and floor it......it's like you are driving on the street, no rocks kicking up, no power delays, no nothing but acceleration. Good tires on any vehicle are a must. Don't expect to go anywhere with summer or bald tires. I have had many bmw's and they are what they are. Expensive to buy, expensive to fix, but they are very good vehicles -- road noise, handling, acceleration. My current 4wd 5 series is a little low to the ground, I got high centered on plow line in front of my driveway a few weeks ago. Unless I get high centered, that thing plows snow. Two weeks ago we got a legitimate 24". On a flat unplowed street with good all season tires, I was able to drive in untracked snow with it blowing over my hood. Couldn't see much, but went forward with no problem. I'm sure audi's are good cars as well. In my experience, the tires make the biggest difference. I have a set of blizzacks on my 07 tundra. Totally overkill, but they were inexpensive and I had an extra set of wheels kicking around. Good luck with your purchase.

From your options I'd to with a q5 diesel or an allroad if they make it in a diesel. Audi diesels are fantastic motors. Volvos are pigs, heavy, underpowered and expensive to fix. Landrovers have never had good reliability. All are "nice" and I'm sure your wife will like any of them.

Your gas mileage is not going to get better with any of your options. Passats are pretty decent. There is a possibly a diesel option would be better, but more expensive gas, more expensive purchase, etc.
              2007 RZ2 Marine power 340hp Custom ballast
              Tundra Crewmax 5.7L

Comment

If you have a Hyundai dealer near you i would check out the Veracruz Limited AWD with the Navigation system.It's under 40k fully loaded.It has a 10 yr 100k warranty.I have a Auto shop owner who just sold his BMW sport utility to get a 2013 Hyundai Veracruz Limited.They shopped Mercedes,BMW,Audi,Infiniti and Lexus.Then decided to check out the Veracruz.He works on all makes of cars and has owned Chevrolet,Jeep,Lexus,Infiniti,Honda and BMW. He was thoroughly impressed with the ride,handling and features on this car.Needless to say he knows the reliability of these vehicles as he mostly does routine maintenance to them till they get over 100k miles.His specialty is front end alignment.He has dealers and body shops all over town bring the cars they can't align to him to straighten out.Over 30 years of experience and he was impressed enough to buy one.So you might want to check it out.Hyundai has come along way since the mid 80's.
                I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

I own an Audi S7

Have owned lots of Audis and loved them all

But the top pick on your list for me would be the Evoque

It's gorgeous

Comment

Originally posted by robert theisen View Post
                    If you have a Hyundai dealer near you i would check out the Veracruz Limited AWD with the Navigation system.It's under 40k fully loaded.It has a 10 yr 100k warranty.I have a Auto shop owner who just sold his BMW sport utility to get a 2013 Hyundai Veracruz Limited.They shopped Mercedes,BMW,Audi,Infiniti and Lexus.Then decided to check out the Veracruz.He works on all makes of cars and has owned Chevrolet,Jeep,Lexus,Infiniti,Honda and BMW. He was thoroughly impressed with the ride,handling and features on this car.Needless to say he knows the reliability of these vehicles as he mostly does routine maintenance to them till they get over 100k miles.His specialty is front end alignment.He has dealers and body shops all over town bring the cars they can't align to him to straighten out.Over 30 years of experience and he was impressed enough to buy one.So you might want to check it out.Hyundai has come along way since the mid 80's.
                    I think the Hyundai is 2 notches below his standard.

Comment

had an old murano(same as the fx35) great rig, zero issues with the cvt tranny and the engine is bulletproof.
                      dealer proximity would be a non-issue for me. you really only need to see a dealer for warranty issues and you should be hoping those rigs are built pretty good. any competent mechanic can change oil and do the basic service. although it is nice to have an "in" at a dealership, any of those rides are going to be 5bills for anything beyond basic work.

that said, after my trip to gb last week, buy whichever one has the softest ride. the roads there are hands down the WORST I have ever driven on
                      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                        It's not that the Hyundia is "below our standards" it is kind of ugly.

We have decided to go with the Evoque. It is a sexy vehicle.

Our dealer is going to get in two Evoques in the next couple weeks, he is going to give us the first right of refusal.

Thanks for the help everyone! I appreciate your input.

I will post pics when we pick it up.
                        "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                          I am referring a vehicle based on reliability,cost and technology.Overall value is important to some,Looks to others.Everyone is different,but Nobody knows it all.
                          I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

Working...
                          X