Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airguide Speedometer Conversion to GPS

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am holding in my grimy little hands the first Airguide speedometer prototype conversion to GPS. I tested this prototype today and it appears to be working well.

No more leaks or clogs!

Stand by….
    Dean
    Classic Boatworks

Any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by hyphen79 View Post
      JreisRZR, you got it! This guy makes a direct GPS replacement for your paddlewheel. Look and see what transducer you have. Do you have this one below? If it is then you are set to use this one GPS replacement:
      http://nauticlaugic.com/nl4-sr%20packages.html

Hope this helps!

http://www.tigeowners.com//forum/sho...61&postcount=2

What is the difference between what you have and this?

Comment

The airguides are the old pilot tube speedo's. The don't run off a paddle shell, rather a pilot tube that works on water pressure. Usually there were ran in pairs as it was common for one to drop, especially in corners. Properly set they were very accurate.

Comment

yep, what boardman stated, an airguide is a the pressure fed petite tube thingy that stick off the back of the hull and gets clogged, broke or chewed by muskrats. Im guessing its a PWM air pump thats controlled vie the GPS data.

Classicboatworks,

Will a single unit work for the older 3-tournament boats that have dual speedo's or will it require a 2nd unit.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The speedometers will require both being changed out. One receiver will feed both speedometers. The gps unit will replace the internal mechanicals.
            I don't know what a "PWM air pump" is but the gps unit has a "motor" that operates the pointer. I will provide photos soon.
            Dean
            Last edited by ClassicBoatworks; 01-09-2013, 07:57 PM. Reason: additional information

Comment

Originally posted by ClassicBoatworks View Post
              The speedometers will require both being changed out. One receiver will feed both speedometers. The gps unit will replace the internal mechanicals.
              I don't know what a "PWM air pump" is but the gps unit has a "motor" that operates the pointer. I will provide photos soon.
              Dean
              What exactly needs to be changed out?
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

So do I understand this right? You have to take the speedo's apart and replace all the guts of them? Why not just completely replace the whole speedo? Unless it's a restore and your trying to keep the airguide look.

Comment

That is what it sounds like but, I'm not gonna speculate.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by ClassicBoatworks View Post
                    Dean
                    PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation. Its a means to control a DC motor at any given rate my pulsing either the positive or negative side of the electrical windings. Its been around since the 70's and is a common means of controlling many of the motors we have on out cars. Most of the EVAP (emission) devises are PWM. Fuel injectors are PWM, speedo heads are PWM, EGR valve, canister purge valves, are as well. We can PDM a simple rotary motor or an actuator with an arm that moves in and out. We can control the precise speed of the rotary motor as well as control how far the actuator arm is in or out as well as hold it at a given position.

I wouldnt be surprised if your new speedo head uses a PWM motor to control the needle.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Obviously you know a lot more about electronics than I do!

Yes, you have to change out the internals and the only reason you would want to use this is to keep the Original Airguide look.

From the outside the gauge will look identical except instead of a pitot tube you have an electric wire attached to a gps receiver.

Dean

Comment

Sweetheart Deal

Sweetheart Deal – Tell your sweetheart what you really want

We are offering the Speedometer GPS conversion for a discount and I will install your unit at no charge until February 29, 2013. http://www.classicboatwork.com/class...e/gps/gps.html

Currently we have mounted the prototypes on the frame that holds the mechanical parts requiring removal of the internal parts and frame modification. I need to install a few in order to work out the details of an alternate mounting method and write clear instructions. Once I perfect an alternate installation method I will offer a kit for those that wish to install the unit themselves and save their mechanical internals.

We ask those that take advantage of this introductory special to work with us to resolve any issues and share your experience on the forum.

We guarantee your satisfaction.

Questions?
                        email coolboats@classicboatwork.com or Phone 916-774-0529

Comment

Working...
                        X