No announcement yet.

Extending the TAPS Plate Bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such an easy mod, isn't it? We first just tried spacers but then remounting did the trick. Here is the thing you need to consider though.

I have heard that at higher speeds (not sure how high) the boat can exhibit "bow steering" if the taps is too low. If you use it to get out of the hole and then bring it up I would say that should be no issue, but you def want to be careful with taps below 3 after this mod over say 20 mph, but I really don't know what speed. I just know that I have nothing to worry about surfing, and this mod made a HUGE difference on our Z3 for surfing.
    http://wake9.com/

Comment

I just put about 15hrs of surfing on my taps plate mod this past weekend and wow did it make a difference for me. I used a 1" spacer on mine to extend the plate down. It gave me alot more ability to adjust the wave on both sides. Like ragboy said when cruising at higher speeds just need to keep your hands on the wheel as it does push the nose down. But I just raise the taps a bit more than before and no problem. I will post up a pic of it tonight. Definitely a good mod for my boat.

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
        Such an easy mod, isn't it? We first just tried spacers but then remounting did the trick. Here is the thing you need to consider though.

I have heard that at higher speeds (not sure how high) the boat can exhibit "bow steering" if the taps is too low. If you use it to get out of the hole and then bring it up I would say that should be no issue, but you def want to be careful with taps below 3 after this mod over say 20 mph, but I really don't know what speed. I just know that I have nothing to worry about surfing, and this mod made a HUGE difference on our Z3 for surfing.
        Yes, it was very easy! It also made a world of difference for getting the boat out of the hole. I was finally able to get the boat to plane out with all of the ballast full. I have a much more usable range now. This weekend, before we go out again, I am going to get some measurements of the plate with the stock mounting vs the new mount.

I think with the spacers, I may be closer to 3 positions lower than stock but I am not sure that it is linear as it goes up. We mostly wakeboarded at 4 (stock TAPS @ 1-2). I didn't get a chance to surf but did notice that in cruising back to the house yesterday I actually got the plate up to 8 at around 25mph without proposing on smooth water. Once we hit a little chop, I had to lower it down to 6 or so.

Comment

topaz I can't wait to see the your spacer. Myself I was going to just make a beefier/bigger bracket. A bracket about 33% bigger and rivet that in place with stainless hardware. Might take and hour to fab up. But your 1 inch spacer sounds cool...and easy.
          Last edited by MooseX; 08-28-2012, 01:08 AM.
          my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

Here you go guys, this is the spacer I made. It might be a little more than others may need. I went with 1" because I was having such a hard time keeping my bow down when surfing because I run so much weight in the rear and would get cavitaion too easily especialy when getting down to half a tank of fuel or less.
            Attached Files

Comment

Does this mod help make a longer pocket?

Comment

Topaz that's BAss'..I have the same problem with the bow sometimes...

what exactly is it made of? Alu'?

Could you send me a PDF of the template?
                my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

It can help make a longer pocket by allowing you to run the Taps lower than you normally would thus making the pocket longer. I made it out of a piece of pvc decking for a quick test and I think I will leave it for now. I just unbolted it held up my piece and traced the shape of the bracket and then cut it out. Pretty simple.

Comment

Did something like this the first week I got my boat.. Haha did it on my old boat too.. Ive never used taps past 5 dunno why it goes so high... Nothing is good with taps on 8..
                    www.1320diesel.com Home of the Fastest Diesels!
                    http://youtu.be/dEDdM0Y3IGs?hd=1

Comment

zombie thread but I'm new to using taps. is 1 all the way down and 8 all the way up? I'm gonna do this mod if y'all are saying it helps with surfing...

Comment

Yep, 1 is down 8 is up. It certainly helps on the shorter boats that porpoise at higher speeds. In a aft-heavy ballasted boat, the extra depth could be equal to extra bow weight. But, not many tiges like a tone of bow weight, listed over or using a surf device. Also dont see a lot of people running the TAPS at 1 surfing, indicating they dont need more.

Seems a wider TAPS, like Surf406 builds, is making more improvement.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                        X