Winterizing my boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizing my boat

Ok. What all is involved with "Winterizing" a boat? I have a 2001 21V. Can anybody give me suggestions on what I need to do to my boat before Winter?

Thanks!

Dogg

What is the coldest it gets where you live in CA??

Comment

dude, youre in cali not canada, dont worry about it now......go ride!!!

Comment

I just thought that since the boat will be sitting for about 9 months, I do something.... I don't know, I guess I just want to do something to the boat. Besides, Bog, I don't ride anyway because I am married and have kids and I am just the boat driver. I have a new wakeboard and wakesurf board and two new phat sacs that are still in the box.

Comment

It is really very easy. All I do is drain the water out of the engine block, suck all of the water out of the bildge with my shop vac, throw some fuel stablizer in the gas tank if there is a good amount of gas remaining, and shut the batteries off (or remove them if you do not have the on/off switch). That's about it. We also take the seat cushions out as well. Getting all of the water out of the block and bildge is probably not necessary because very rarely will it ever freeze. But, I'd rather be safe than sorry...

Comment

ive also been told that if the boat is going to sit for a long time that it is best to leave it with the gas tank full. that helps the gas not go bad so quikly. fill it up, and add some stabalizer. you shold not have to worry about freezing. but it does not hurt to empty your fluids. good thing for the spring to start with all new.

Comment

I drain the block and systems (heater). Add fuel stabilizer to a near full tank and remove the battery. I then remove and place the battery on a float charger to preserve. In the spring,,to prep,,charge up the battery and add fuel treatment to the tank and I am good to go.

The goodyear web site offers some winter recommendations for trailer tires during extended periods of inactivity. I need to review it myself but I recall practicing the suggestion of adding tire pressure (20-25% ??).

Although out here in CA,,we still have a few more hours to add...

Comment

So. Cal. Plan A - Enjoy the boat during the winter. Buy a good dry suit and burn at least a tank of gas every 60 days. This may require going on Wakeworld "need a third" thread. Keep the tank full to avoid condensation. Pull the water plugs after each use.

So. Cal. Plan B - Fill up the tank, add fuel stabaiizer, run once a month with fake-a-lake or local lake. Pull plugs to drain motor after running.

Comment

Ddogg

Just re-read......"I don't ride anyway because I am married and have kids and I am just the boat driver. I have a new wakeboard and wakesurf board and two new phat sacs that are still in the box."

We are 45 minutes apart (Chino/Temecula). I can help you resolve this problem all winter if you want to ride. My son and I usually end up looking for a third during the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by David Baker

"I don't ride anyway because I am married and have kids and I am just the boat driver. I have a new wakeboard and wakesurf board and two new phat sacs that are still in the box."
                    Easy fix to this - Teach the wife how to drive.
                    Im married and have 3 kids - the wife is pretty much the best driver ive seen. She can park that puppy on a dime and knows how to pull skiiers w/ the best of them.
                    I ride just as much as my kids (if not more!!)

Just my .02

Comment

my wife doesn't really like to drive because she is not confident in herself. After two years, she just now feels comfortable backing the boat down the launch ramp.

Comment

Ddogg,

I've owned inboards for the past ten years and I recommend a couple of extra winterization steps to lengthen the life of your ride (keep in mind I live in Vegas and only let my boat sit for 3 months...call me anal but I do this even for the 3 month break).

1. Change the oil and filter before storing your boat. Used oil sitting in your manifold will deteriorate seals and components.

2. Fog your engine if you're letting it sit for 9 months. There's a nice summary of this procedure in the October Waterski magazine.

3. Replacing the water in your block with RV Antifreeze (the stuff used for waterlines in RVs so its biodegradable and Sierra Club friendly). This will inhibit any rusting or scaling taking place in your block and exhaust manifolds (i.e will extend the life of your $500+ each mufflers...especially important in a humid climate).

4. Change the fuel filter before running fuel stabilizer through your fuel system.

5. Check and top-off the transmission fliuid.

6. Wax your boat. Any bad poop left on your boat throughout the winter will eat your gel coat.

Comment

damon_anthony,,;

I live in So Cal,,,High Desert,,,boat is not down much,,In regards to the change oil prior to storage;

I have heard oil will attrack moisture,,water over a period of time....
                          Do you recommend changing the oil again in the spring prior to use?

Comment

teachercop,

Every mechanic I've ever talked to said it was only necessary to change the oil prior to winterization (not again after). I've never heard about oil attracting moisture. Fuel will attract moisture, thus the fuel stabilizer. I've heard some talk among mechanics that since all new fuel tanks are plastic/composite, corrosion is no longer an issue and you do not need to store your boat with a full tank. I take the conservative route and fill it up prior to storage. Post storage, you should be ready to rock right out of the garage. The only things I do in the spring is change my spark plugs (I use last seasons' spark plugs to sit with the fogged engine) and inspect/change the impeller.

My dealer in Las Vegas is awesome, but he charges about $600 for a full winterization. I can spend a Saturday afternoon and $40 to do the same.

Comment

How many plugs on the 21v and how do you drain the shower... I found 4 plugs then I disconnected the feed line the impeller and got more water out... Nor Cal

Comment

Working...
                              X