PCM engines and synthetic oils...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCM engines and synthetic oils...

I ran across this on PCM's website today. I know these are dangerous and argumentative waters but thought I'd take the risk to share what an actual engine manufacturer has to say.

>>Synthetic oils are not recommended for use in PCM engines. Synthetic oils may offer advantages in cold temperature pumpability and high temperature oxidation-resistance. However, synthetic oils have not proven to provide operational or economic benefits over conventional petroleum based oils in PCM engines. Their use does not permit the extension of oil change intervals.<<

http://www.pcmengines.com/faqs/#ans-4

There's also Dom Forte's comments on the topic, in which he recommends against the use of full synthetics.

YMMV, my $0.02, etc. etc.

I can understand the economic benefit from using the standard oils, but I find it hard to believe that a synthetic oil won't help in the longevity of any motor. Every engine I've ever had used Synthetic at some point in its life, and they always ran smoother and quieter on the better juice.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
      I ran across this on PCM's website today. I know these are dangerous and argumentative waters but thought I'd take the risk to share what an actual engine manufacturer has to say.

>>Synthetic oils are not recommended for use in PCM engines. Synthetic oils may offer advantages in cold temperature pumpability and high temperature oxidation-resistance. However, synthetic oils have not proven to provide operational or economic benefits over conventional petroleum based oils in PCM engines. Their use does not permit the extension of oil change intervals.<<

http://www.pcmengines.com/faqs/#ans-4

There's also Dom Forte's comments on the topic, in which he recommends against the use of full synthetics.

YMMV, my $0.02, etc. etc.
      Im a firm beleiver that Synthetic is more smoke and mirrors then it is the 2nd coming. In my 18 years as a profesional automotive technician, I have never seen an engine failer because the owner used conventional over synthetic. I did have to re-ring one that was switched from conventional to synthetic though.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have heard that for boat engines that sit for weeks at a time, and months at a time after winterization, that regular oil stays on the parts and leaves a better protectant film vs synthetic that would flow better and drain better leaving metal parts with little to no film to keep the engine lubricated and rust free during storage. This is the only explanation I have received as to why regular oil is better for our engines vs synthetic.

The odd thing is that on my old bayliner owners club forum most agreed on that site that synthetic was better since it could absorb more water and provide lubrication in case you had a manifold leak. I have no idea if either claims are valid but I tend to believe the argument for storage of the boat use regular oil.
        2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
        2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

My opinion is based on daily use versus occassional use, I have never seen a failure with either type of oil with daily use, I have only seen failure with occassional use which is what I deal with, performance or vintage cars and boats.
          I have never seen an engine last any longer with one oil over the other, my own personal vehicles useing non synthetic oil changed to spec, have van (1) 410,000, van (2) 290,000 ,jeep (1) 210,000 jeep (2) 150,000, (3) shelbys all over 100,000 (1) 69 mach1 180,000 , 65 sunbeam tiger 412,000, all on oringinal engines, 1 shelby and mach1 changed pistons several times due to my own personal abuse of racing, my wife and I put all the miles on these vehicles.
          Ski team boat 1200 hrs non synthetic hard use still in operation and never been down yet, 6.0L and its a Tige, thats my testing, as well as thousands of customers vehicles we take care of.

Comment

Originally posted by dom w. forte View Post
            Ski team boat 1200 hrs
            Twelve hundred hours!

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
              Twelve hundred hours!
              The boat interior looks bad from no cover and years of throwing skis and equipment into her , but if you lift the engine cover you would be impressed , the engine looks like its barely been run , but has gone up against the rev limter hundreds if not thousands of times and quite a few slams in reverse from over shooting the turn in a barefoot run.
              Knock on wood the boat has never failed in all of are shows or tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by dom w. forte View Post
                Knock on wood the boat has never failed in all of are shows or tournaments.
                The drivetrain is probably SCARED to fail, considering who owns it!

Awesome job on maintenance. It really shows how well things can work when they're properly cared for.

Comment

Working...
                X