Night boat driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night boat driving

Lake Ozarks 2000 20CI. Amy and I had respite this weekend and went to the lake. We bundled up and went to Toad Cove for cedar plank salmon w/ watermelon salsa. It is about a 45 min boat ride one way. Had a nice dinner and drink. Time to go home it was now dark. Beautiful stars and a new moon. Well about 20min into the ride home the moon went under the clouds and it got real dark. I mis read the lights from shore and took a wrong turn. Went about 15 min before realized the lights did not look right and turned around and went back to main channel to try again. Later Amy said she was about to cry..kinda freaked her out. I just thought it made the boat ride longer. I have not gotten lost like that in a long time. Turned out a nice 45 degree evening. M&M

I used my Garmin handleld GPS in water mode on TableRock just for that type of scenario. Setting waypoints on where you want to go is good for my wife's soul

Comment

I use my iPhone with Navigon, works great.

One thing to do like that, and we have done it a lot, is turn off all your lights. Just the anchor, but sometimes even that. cover up all of your dash lights especially. You will be surprised how much better you can see, when your eyes adjust to the dark. The funny thing, I learned this from a Ranger on Lake Mead many years ago. We ran out of gas way out by overton arm and had to go all the way to Lake Mead marina by boulder city. He got us gas just before dark, it was a long and scary ride, but turning off all of the lights helped us, especially through the narrows.

We do this at least once a year on lake oroville. We had down to the dam on 7/4 and fireworks are on the water at 10pm, then head back at midnight, its like 15 or 20 miles in the dark through winding lake. At least its warm, though, not 45 deg!
      http://wake9.com/

Comment

ditto...no need for expensive Garmen or other GPS boat additions..my iphone works just great! Just zoom in and make the settings so it stays on. My interior lights are wayyy to bright and personally the tige touch doesn't dim enough (the lowest setting isn't low enough for me) but I agree about turning all/most of your lighting off, you'd be surpised how well you can see the banks of a lake with just minimal moon/star light. just my...
        2010 Tige RZ2 "Fully Loaded" 650hrs
        Surf Ballast & Enzo Bag - 1235 prop

Comment

X2 on covering up your dash lights. We do the same thing every July 4th at Lake Mohave. It makes all the difference.

Comment

We go out all the time at night and we have blast.
            No fear cause we have a little help.

Forward projector light + wide fog light + Garmin + Clarion = Fun night cruising.
            Attached Files

Comment

Being on the water at night is my favorite time. Give me as low light as possible in the cabin over the brightest spot light any day. With low ambient light and a good feel for the water, I have no fear of running at night.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                Being on the water at night is my favorite time. Give me as low light as possible in the cabin over the brightest spot light any day. With low ambient light and a good feel for the water, I have no fear of running at night.
                Interpreted: Place blind fold over head, inhale, exhale, wave hand to find perfect chi, become one with water, inhale, exhale, occasionally peek at the stares without anybody noticing, run boat aground and blame someone else, call SeaTow, fix prop, do this all over again until perfection is accomplished.

Comment

Some people have good night vision,but Nobody has good LIGHT vision.LOL!
                  I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

I had KC daylighters on my last boat, I could see perfectly forward for 50-75 yards, then I had 2 sets of fog lights going backwards. I felt it was as safe or safer then during the day.
                    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by robert theisen View Post
                      Some people have good night vision,but Nobody has good LIGHT vision.LOL!
                      Ha Ha!!! that was funny!

Most night boaters hate other boats with forward floods and the coast guard is sure to pull you over to give you the "blind" lecture. GPS is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                        Ha Ha!!! that was funny!

Most night boaters hate other boats with forward floods and the coast guard is sure to pull you over to give you the "blind" lecture. GPS is a must.
                        If I know the lake, GPS is worthless.....and yes, I HATE the GD pontoons that think their docking lights are headlights
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                          If I know the lake, GPS is worthless.....and yes, I HATE the GD pontoons that think their docking lights are headlights
                          Would GD pontoon boats be in the same category as GD ski boats?

Comment

Night Boat Driving.

Thanks for all the useful info. As far as turning down the dash lights go... My 2000 20CI has cheap Faria gauges with the worst lighting ever. I cannot read them at night w/o a flashlight. They have one light in the corner of each dial. New gauge package is on my wish list. They still work ok for daylight. M&M

Comment

Working...
                            X