Quick question on rudder assemblies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question on rudder assemblies...

The shop had to drop my rudder to remove the propshaft during my recent transmission replacement. I notice now that the rudder assembly, to which the steering cable connects, is "loosely" mounted to the aluminum plate in the hull. It's connected, but there is some play. It feels like it's held in place by a single bolt that isn't quite tightened.

I never paid much attention to this area before, so I don't know if this is normal or not. Is there supposed to be play there?

Thanks!

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
    The shop had to drop my rudder to remove the propshaft during my recent transmission replacement. I notice now that the rudder assembly, to which the steering cable connects, is "loosely" mounted to the aluminum plate in the hull. It's connected, but there is some play. It feels like it's held in place by a single bolt that isn't quite tightened.

I never paid much attention to this area before, so I don't know if this is normal or not. Is there supposed to be play there?

Thanks!
    I just noticed this on my rz2 last night. It looks to me to be normal. It looks like the mount is designed to swivel and pivot at that location allowing the cable to move with the rudder.

Comment

I wish I had taken a photo before tucking the boat away for storage. I'll try to visit it and get a photo.

I'm not talking about the pivot point of the rudder. The point I'm talking about is forward of the rudder pivot, a bracket that is loosely connected to a mounting bracket attached to the hull. It has some, but not much, freedom to move. It's exactly like a "loose bolt" lying horizontally in the hull, such that it can jiggle fore and aft but cannot "turn" around the shaft of the "bolt".

Comment

Working...
      X