Delo 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delo 400

I've been looking at 40wt oils that are SF/SG rated (marine powers recommendations ) and the only oil I have came across is delo 400, which is rated SJ which i was told meets and excedes SF/SG ratings. I know the engine oil topic has been covered time and time again and im sure a 15-40 rotella would be fine im just trying to stay with the manufacturer's recommendation so i am curious if others have used the delo 400 oil?

I use stright 30 hd this is what my MP book said to use for my 2004 5.7
    Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

I have not used Delo, but I can tell you that the ratings are SUPPOSEDLY backwards compatible - meaning that if you get a higher/later rating it is safe to use in place of an earlier rating.

For my PCM engine that asks for SF-4/CJ-4 in 15W-40, I'm currently using Shell Rotella T. The T is important, as there are several types of Rotella. Rotella T is SM-4/CJ-4 rated and 15W-40, so theoretically it is a perfect match for the PCM requirements.

Please reply with what you learn. This is a contentious topic and we could all use some authoritative info.

Comment

Stay away from Delo 400, multi or straight weight as Chevron removed what little zinc was in the additive package to comply with emissions laws. Shell contiued to provide zinc and were required to spend the extra money for it but it only turns out to be about a dollar per gallon. As WAboating says and I have repeatedly stated, Shell Rotella T 15w-40 if you're going to run non-synthetic oil. Roller cam engines (as all of the 97'+ engines are) will have needle bearing problems with their roller lifters running on Delo 400 (this also includes diesels).
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
          Stay away from Delo 400, multi or straight weight as Chevron removed what little zinc was in the additive package to comply with emissions laws. Shell contiued to provide zinc and were required to spend the extra money for it but it only turns out to be about a dollar per gallon.
          Great info! I'm happy someone is still making a good oil. In that same vein, I sure wish we could go back to nice, cheap, sulfur-rich diesel fuel. Now in addition to paying ~$4.00 instead of ~$0.50 for overprocessed diesel fuel, I spend even more money on Power Service additive to make sure my injectors are properly lubricated.

Please clarify a bit: If the zinc was removed to comply with emission laws, how did Shell simply spend a buck per gallon to get around the laws?

Comment

Originally posted by whitlock87 View Post
            I use stright 30 hd this is what my MP book said to use for my 2004 5.7
            What is the brand and where did you find it? is it SF/SG rated. My MP book states SF/SG rated. All I have found is DELO. If I dont find it soon I will be using rotella.

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
              Stay away from Delo 400, multi or straight weight as Chevron removed what little zinc was in the additive package to comply with emissions laws. Shell contiued to provide zinc and were required to spend the extra money for it but it only turns out to be about a dollar per gallon. As WAboating says and I have repeatedly stated, Shell Rotella T 15w-40 if you're going to run non-synthetic oil. Roller cam engines (as all of the 97'+ engines are) will have needle bearing problems with their roller lifters running on Delo 400 (this also includes diesels).
              That is quite interesting information, thank you. I've been running Delo 400 in my boat for the past 4 years, but then again I have the old 350. I've always felt like Rotella was a sub-par oil...not sure why, maybe cause Walmart sells it . Maybe I'll give the Rotella T a try this year.

Comment

Originally posted by adamsjstt View Post
                What is the brand and where did you find it? is it SF/SG rated. My MP book states SF/SG rated. All I have found is DELO. If I dont find it soon I will be using rotella.
                You should be able to find a straight 30 or 40 at the auto parts store, sometimes you have to ask for it. I found some Super Tech brand at Wally world that I used in my lawn mower, I would rather use the Rotella T than some brand that I know nothing about though.

Comment

Also, if you are looking for more zinc, check out the Valvoline VR1 Synthetic . It's a little pricey though.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                    You should be able to find a straight 30 or 40 at the auto parts store, sometimes you have to ask for it. I found some Super Tech brand at Wally world that I used in my lawn mower, I would rather use the Rotella T than some brand that I know nothing about though.
                    I have found the straight 30 and 40 just not with the SF/SG rating. The only one I have found with the ratings is DELO.

Comment

I used this Shell Rotella locator to find it at a Napa auto part store in Sacramento, see if it helps you find some closer to you.

http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/locator.html
                      2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                      2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by adamsjstt View Post
                        I have found the straight 30 and 40 just not with the SF/SG rating. The only one I have found with the ratings is DELO.
                        SF/SG are probably old rating and anything currently on the shelves is going to supercede those old rating.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                          I get the Valvoline 30 wt at Walmart for the v drive and tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by skippabcool View Post
                            Weird...mine uses ATF and they are both '07's.

Comment

Originally posted by skippabcool View Post
                              What?No harbor freight.
                              I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

Working...
                              X