Polar Bear Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polar Bear Recap

So we finished the first video, and it came out really nice. This one is just fun, there will be 3 more, one for each boat.

Special thanks to Mello Marine for getting us the 211 in the nick of time.

Such a blast!

Now, the 2012 Tige RZ4 didn't make it in time, but we had it out 2x so far. And yesterday we some friends down at Camp Far West and surfed all day. We rode on goofy side, and it was good, but then moved to regular side, we had several regular riders. RJ wanted to try something a bit different, and BAM, the wake was great on the regular side. Can't wait to try that setup on goofy. Chris and Frank Wolter, LOVED the RZ4 wake, they were both loving it a lot.

I will have more pictures and video this week, but here is a peek:

RJ was boosting on his Elevation, but also rode Chris' Flyboy for fun. He stuffs the nose a lot on this board, because he rides so front foot heavy with a wide stance, but when he pulls it in and gets it just right, that original flyboy sails, so light.

IMG_5565 by wake9, on Flickr

Chris Wolter had a smile on his face the whole time, he was loving RJs custom Elevation and also he loved the wake. I think we still have room to dial more, but it was nice.

IMG_6253 by wake9, on Flickr

This is a great picture, because the wake had tons of push, Chris was just living back here. This was not him recovering, he did recover later from much farther back then this. And the Elevation is not a fast board, its designed for pumping, not down the line speed like the flyboy, yet he was able to just "chill" at the back of the wake.

IMG_6278 by wake9, on Flickr

Lastly we slow the boat down a bit, to give Frank a waist high wall that he likes for his frame. You can see the smile on his face, and we have video of him recovering from far back, tons of push.

IMG_6634 by wake9, on Flickr

Lots more to come, the boat is HUGE, so comfortable, and the PCM 409 seems to give it enough power, more than enough power to not cavitate with the stock prop. We will have to test more though.

We didn't measure the fuel economy, but wen't out for about 3 hours on Wed and only used 9 gallons. Don't take that to the bank, but this boat with the 409 seems to still be sipping gas, how is that? Fun stuff.
    http://wake9.com/

Looks like you guys all had a great time.

Awesome waves

Comment

That looks great...I can't wait for you to start doing some boat setup update's

Comment

I want to go out this wednesday, and give the same setup we did on regular a chance on goofy first. I will say this, its easier than the 24Ve. I don't think we will need to be ripping out firewalls on the RZ4.

Comment

What happend to the Z3?

Comment

Great video! The Supreme looks to have a nice clean wave! I think in the video it looked better than the Centurion but looks are one thing... Looks like peeps had some serious fun! Thanks for putting that on!

Comment

The supreme makes a nice wave, no question. The boat is very plain and boxy, but also priced less.

@jrobertson The Z3 was a prototype, and it didn't surf as well as the RZ2 or RZ4, etc. Since we need this to pull a contest of pros, we went with the RZ4. Tige is still making updates to the Z3.

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                The supreme makes a nice wave, no question. The boat is very plain and boxy, but also priced less.

@jrobertson The Z3 was a prototype, and it didn't surf as well as the RZ2 or RZ4, etc. Since we need this to pull a contest of pros, we went with the RZ4. Tige is still making updates to the Z3.

Gotcha. Yea I agree.

Comment

Ragboy,

I have the old 6.0l in my 24V. I will not buy another boat with out it. We have surfed for 10 hours and still have not ran out of gas. I think these engines do not work as hard so do not need as much fuel.
                  2016 Tige Z3, 2014 Tige Z3
                  2013 Tige Z3, 2004 Tige 24V (Legen....dary)

Comment

The thing is, I go out surfing all the time with friends with enzos, supremes, and they use at LEAST 2x the gas. They use like 8-10 GPH, where I would use 3-4.

Comment

The thing is, I go out surfing all the time with friends with enzos, supremes, and they use at LEAST 2x the gas. They use like 8-10 GPH, where I would use 3-4.
                      That is just cause you have a tige!
                      2016 Tige Z3, 2014 Tige Z3
                      2013 Tige Z3, 2004 Tige 24V (Legen....dary)

Comment

X2. The 409 in our RZ2 sipped a similar 3-4 while a buddy's former Bu guzzled 8-10 regularly (especially with the wedge).

I think you may change your mind re stock prop with the 409 (you have one to try it out, yes?). We saw a noticeable improvement after moving to the 1235 on our 409 RZ2. Before the 1235, when surfing, e would get an occasional slip/cavitation straight away and frequent slip/cavitation on turns. We still get an occosional slip with the 1235, but rarely.
                        Last edited by Duncan; 10-27-2011, 10:16 PM.

Comment

We def get the cavitation straight away. But still have more testing to do. Wakemakers has some other props to test for us also.

Comment

This has been an unexpected benefit of our new boat, too. Our previous boat was 19.5 feet with the swim platform, 240HP, 3000 pounds when full, and was definitely designed to AVOID creating much of a wake (read: it rode high on plane, minimum drag). We reliably burned one five gallon can of gas per hour of mixed engine operation.

Now, with our Tige 24Ve and its PCM EX343 CAT engine, I'm not filling up nearly as often. This despite that the boat is almost five feet longer NOT counting the swim platform, 100 more horsepower, at least 50% heavier (before ballasting!), and with ballast rides MUCH lower with a MUCH larger wake (far more displacement/friction).

I expected to be spending way more for gasoline, but I'm delighted the exact opposite is happening. I'm not getting 2X the mileage, but it's at least 50% more than before. I'd estimate around three gallons per hour. I'm thrilled!

Comment

can't wait for next year's event. heard about the event a week late this year.
                              as a new tige z1 owner, i'm loving the wake.. just minimal ballast gives a great surf wake...love hearing about the gas savings as well, I'll be able to rub it in to my friends w/ X-2's and bu's

Comment

Working...
                              X