Turning engine by hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning engine by hand?

Thinking about my upcoming winterization. The PCM manual says to shoot fogging oil into each cylinder, then turn the crankshaft by hand. I've done this on lots of other engines and know exactly what they want.

Last fall, when I winterized my PCM EX343 for the first time, it was absolutely impossible to turn the crankshaft by hand even with all eight plugs out and the belt off. I had to turn it using a ratchet handle on the crankshaft pulley, and even then it was extraordinarily difficult. Usually when the plugs are out (i.e. compression is zero) you can turn an engine by hand, and they clearly expect you to. Sure, I'm glad the clearances were tight on my brand new engine, but still.

Anyone else experience this? Did I miss something? I'd really prefer to do it by hand per the manual.

Thanks!

The term rolling it by hand means not using the starter. So rolling it with a ratchet is what most of us would do.

Comment

Yes, I know it means not using the starter (though I suspect what they're really trying to do is avoid the introduction of fuel into the cylinders). I've just been able to turn other engines by hand when the plugs are out, but not this one. Thought I might have been missing something.

Thanks!

Comment

Not missing anything, if you can turn these by hand then you're the man. It usually takes about 45ft/lbs of torque on a new roller motor, which is what these are, and up to 80ft/lbs on a flat tappet engine.
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Whew, OK, thanks for the reassurance.

I'll get to work on being "the man", but in the meantime I'll keep using the ratchet on the crankshaft pulley nut. {grin}

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
            Whew, OK, thanks for the reassurance.

I'll get to work on being "the man", but in the meantime I'll keep using the ratchet on the crankshaft pulley nut. {grin}
            or get your wife to help

Comment

Originally posted by thtrog View Post
              or get your wife to help
              Touche'!

Good memory, my friend.

Comment

Id bump the motor while spraying the fogging oil, tapping it so it turns a little each time. They dont want to be responsible for you buring the coil or spraying oil all over your upholstery. Throw an old beach towel over the side youre doing. You'll be fine. I have done mine like this for over 20 years.
                So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy_houseboater View Post
                  Id bump the motor while spraying the fogging oil, tapping it so it turns a little each time.
                  Won't that risk spraying fuel into (some of) the cylinders?

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                    Won't that risk spraying fuel into (some of) the cylinders?
                    Unplug the crank sensor. No engine RPM input to the ECM = no need for fuel.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Guys I am doing this for the very first time, can someone please tell me how to turn the engine by hand? Where is the crankshaft located? I have a 2009 PCM 343 EX EX engine. 5.7L

Comment

Working...
                      X