Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine stays hot for hours after use, normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine stays hot for hours after use, normal?

5.7l Marine Power engine on a 2007 Tige 22i, new raw water pump, new impeller, can run the engine on the hose and have good water flow out of the exhaust. We used the boat all day sunday. I came back out maybe 3-4 hours after it stat in the driveway and the engine was still hot to the touch. Granted it was 100 degrees out and the boat was in the sun but it was operating temperature hot. Is this normal and Im overthinking?

As long as the operating temp is not above normal, I would say that you are fine. If you think about it you are heating up 700lb of cast iron to 180 degrees and leaving it in a confined area under the dog house.

The other day I ran my engine just long enough to get to operating temp to change the oil. An hour later the risers were still ~130 degrees and engine block was 140-150

Comment

Originally posted by h2o-ski View Post
      As long as the operating temp is not above normal, I would say that you are fine. If you think about it you are heating up 700lb of cast iron to 180 degrees and leaving it in a confined area under the dog house.

The other day I ran my engine just long enough to get to operating temp to change the oil. An hour later the risers were still ~130 degrees and engine block was 140-150
      Thanks for the response, I figured I’m overthinking it but good point.

Comment

Yep, completely normal.

Comment

Holding all that heat in also leads to two unwanted side effects; Vapor lock and unheard spark knock.

Vapor lock. The high ambient engine bay temps can cause the liquid fuel to turn to a vapor in the fuel rail. This is impossible to pump and pressurize, thus, it wont pass through the injectors and you get a no-start after an extended shut-down after everything gets hot.

Unheard spark knock. Inboard engines are so heavily insulated that spark knock is so hard to hear. Even worse since the engine is behind you. So its even more important to use the proper (or higher) octane. Prolonged use of too low of an octane and spark knock can damage an engine before the operator ever knows.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
          X