How often should I change my impeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often should I change my impeller?

I've got a 1999 2100v that I probably put about 50 hours on a year. How often should I change the impeller? Our local marina mechanic suggests changing it every other year, but is that overkill? And I think I had heard at one point that someone makes a 'run dry' impeller that will last longer and could even be run dry for short periods of time, though I don't need to do that ever. Any recommendations for how often to replace it and what type to buy?

I change mine every other year no matter what. I have a DD so it's easier to access than yours so it doesn't bother me. I use Johnson but I'm sure others are fine.

Comment

Here's the run-dry for that pump. Run it and never change it again.
      https://defender.com/en_us/globe-200...ler-01-12-1811
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Wow, literally never change it again? Or change it once every 5 years or something? Thanks!

Comment

Is there a run dry for a 2012 Tige RZ4 with PCM Z409

Comment

“In independent testing by a major North American boat builder, they were found to be 2 to 3 times more durable, and 2 to 3 times more abrasion resistant than standard impellers”

As I read it, change less often. May change every 5 to 6 years?

Comment

I change mine about every 2 years.

Comment

We installed one in our 99' and sold it 10 years later with no issues. I replace all of our customers' with these where applicable and put one in my Raptor 400 last year. But basically lifetime. I recommend installing a water pressure gauge for everyone but that's up to you. As for the Z409, you'll have to look up the impeller number on their website.

Comment

I change my run dry every 3-4 years. They have never had any damage though. Look brand new after 4 years of heavy use.
                  Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

boatwakes could you drop a link to a water pressure gauge you recommend

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like my 2004 22V is a Globe Run-Dry Impeller - 01-12-1100. Thanks again!

Comment

I send a message to globe dry to help me find the right impeller for PCM RP061022. Can’t believe I am just hearing of this

Comment

There are several different manufacturers available and several different mounting options but here's the gauge we like the best... https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-wat...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

Working...
                          X