Potential new Tige Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential new Tige Owner

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, new to Tige, and new to v drives. I'll try to be brief. I'm looking at a 2008 22ve priced at $27,500. Exterior is easily a 9/10. Interior is about a 8/10 for the age. Only a seat or two with a small (inch or so) tear and the sundeck has the stitching starting to let loose, all have been treated with sealant. Engine looks clean and started easy out of the water. Idle sounded good. Engine was cold at startup. Bimini canvas has seen better days but is absolutely functional. Tower seems solid with a little wiggle port to starboard. Engine has 1200 hours. All the electronics seem to work including the gauges. Trailer is a tandem axle Tige branded. Has surge brakes and break away tongue. Looks to be in excellent condition.

Would any of you be so kind as to point me to a thread where I can find common issues to look for? I'm also happy to answer any additional questions for anyone interested in helping me make the right decision here. I need to let the seller know if I'm buying by tomorrow afternoon.

Thank you all, I apologize for being new and coming in so hot lol!

Justin
    Last edited by Justinkent83; 07-12-2023, 04:41 AM.

For 28k and 8/10 I would snatch that thing up. I would run it on the water, get it warmed up and wide open throttle. Make sure no misfires, vibrations, temps are good(~160) and that there are no leaks. Being 15 years old and 1200 hours expect some maintenance items but for the price you will still be ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
      For 28k and 8/10 I would snatch that thing up. I would run it on the water, get it warmed up and wide open throttle. Make sure no misfires, vibrations, temps are good(~160) and that there are no leaks. Being 15 years old and 1200 hours expect some maintenance items but for the price you will still be ahead.
      I can do a compression test if I do buy it, what top speed should I look for assuming stock prop? Mid 40mph with a few adults in the boat? He did mention that he had a lot of maintenance records from the previous owner. Boat hasn't seen salt to my knowledge. The TAPS lines and pump were replaced a few years ago. He said all that works as it should. The prop looked pristine, no signs of striking anything. Out of the water the steering felt smooth and effortless. I haven't checked the oil yet, I will today when I go back for test drive.

What kind of non-yearly maintenance items are you thinking might be coming due?

Comment

Speed will vary based on prop but around 40 is right. You will be able to tell pretty easily if the boat has seen salt just by the trailer.

But for things you might have to do the list is endless but that is any boat. If the steering is tight you will likely need a steering cable pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
          Speed will vary based on prop but around 40 is right. You will be able to tell pretty easily if the boat has seen salt just by the trailer.

But for things you might have to do the list is endless but that is any boat. If the steering is tight you will likely need a steering cable pretty soon.
          Steering was smooth out of the water, we'll see about that when it's wet. The trailer is super clean, I see no evidence even behind the fenders of salt residue.

Comment

What's max rpm on the 5.7 340hp? Somewhere in the 5k range?

Comment

Need to edit the title to: "New Tige Owner"...

Made the purchase. Water test went well. The Up button on the speedpass doesn't work. Gotta fix that. Climbed to 5k rpm effortlessly. GPS speed 42mph against the wind.

More details to come...

Comment

Typical things to do, fuel filter, oil change, new cap, plugs and plug wires. Plan to change vdrive and transmission fluid for peace of mind. Don’t have to do this all at once but make plans to
                go thru it.

When ready get with Mikes Liquid Audio for ballast setup and read duffys write up to educate your self as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Grebva3 View Post
                  Typical things to do, fuel filter, oil change, new cap, plugs and plug wires. Plan to change vdrive and transmission fluid for peace of mind. Don’t have to do this all at once but make plans to
                  go thru it.

When ready get with Mikes Liquid Audio for ballast setup and read duffys write up to educate your self as well.
                  Thanks for the advice! I forgot to mention that the boat already has ballasts. One in the bow and two in the rear. The rear ballasts a re pretty huge, I believe they are customized fatsacks. They fill up the rear compartments on each side of the engine box, but then they also extend up into forward storage in front of those areas. We tested them and they all worked fine. I'll round up some pics later.

Comment

Update. I purchased the boat! Proud owner of an 08 Tige 22ve. Now it's time to find all the things the previous owner didn't tell me about and get to work lol!

Not sure where to start yet. As I notice things, I've been putting them on a list in my phone.

We came to the lake for the weekend, weather is supposed to be awful, but sometimes we get surprised. Would be nice to get out there and try wake surfing. Never done it before.

Here's a couple of pics.

IMG-20230713-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20230713-WA0005.jpg

Comment

Enjoy it spend this season figuring out what you like and what you want! Good looking boat. That boat has the Marine Power Engine. So many of your parts will come from their website.

Comment

Yeah, the MarinePower 5.7 EFI

Got out today and wake surfed for the first time. That was a blast!

Resized_20230715_162434.jpeg

Comment

Congrats! Make sure to throw the rope on the other side of the wake when surfing. You dont want that getting wrapped up in you if you fall.

Comment

Thanks Matt. You can't see him in the pic, but my brother was back there pulling in the rope when I let it go. Actually, you can see a few of his fingers at the top of the pic lol!

Comment

Working...
                            X