Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rudder turns Farther to the left

IMG_2555.jpegIMG_2556.jpeg
    We just changed our steering cable in our 22i from the Teleflex SSC13418 to the newer SSC15418 tfXtreme. We didn’t look to see what it was like before but afterwards the rudder turns left almost perpendicular to the prop and doesn’t turn very far to the right. The arm on top of the rudder that the cable hooks to actually hits the back of the boat limiting the amount we can turn to the right. So I’m thinking it didn’t turn any further right before but it seems to go way to far to the left. Is this normal? How do we adjust this?
    Attached Files

That is correct, it will turn further one way than another although I don't remember my turn right being that limited, though it has been a few years. Most likely has to do with the prop rotation naturally wanting to go that direction.

Comment

Not correct, it should turn evenly when adjusted correctly but often times the adjustment is only "close" from the factory. We just replaced our cable and I reset the adjustment because it turned harder to starboard.

To adjust yours, the pivot block for the cable is inside the boat and clamps the tube through which the steering cable passes just before the rudder connection. To adjust, loosen the clamp and move the tube either forward or aft until the rudder turns evenly to both sides. There are several idiosyncrasies for which type of clamp each boat has but if you were mechanical enough to replace the cable, you'll be able to figure out how to adjust the pivot clamp.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Additionally, you mentioned the rudder's tiller arm hits the boat and that is also not correct. Can you post some photos of the tiller arm too? It sounds like the rudder has been replaced but was done with the incorrect parts.

Comment

boatwakes yes so we did adjust the pivot block so that it stops the tiller arm (is that what it’s called?) just short of hitting the back of the boat but that leaves so much room in the steering rack to pull the rudder back to the left. Does that arm adjust on the top of the rudder? Won’t have a picture of it until next weekend but it’s a pain to get back there to it in the 22i because it’s under the gas tank.

Comment

Rudders have a woodruff key and the tiller arm indexes to it. Believe me I'm familiar with rudder placement on these boats, it's a giant facepalm every time. Loosen the tiller arm clamp bolt and and remove the tiller arm to check if there's a woodruff key in place, we've come across some with the key removed but it's rare. If there isn't a woodruff key, check the tiller arm key location and line it up with the rudder key location, dry fit it and see if it fixes the swing problem (it should). If it does, disconnect the tiller arm from the steering cable and go to the hardware store to figure out what size it is (I'll guess 1/4" but it should fit pretty snug by hand). Once you determine the correct size, source a BRONZE woodruff key from the internet and be prepared to cut and fit to size. Bronze is the preferred material because you can easily use sand paper or any abrasive material to custom fit it.

Comment

boatwakes So there was a woodruff key in place on the rudder, so it must have been like that before and just hits the back of the boat to limit the right hand turn. We adjusted the pivot block to limit the left turn so that it doesn’t swing to far and just going to run it like that, the boat turns fine out on the water. I’m not sure what else could be done or if anything else could be done.

Only issue now is that the boat pulls hard to the right if we let go of the wheel, the old cable was like a heading lock, we could let go and it would stay in the direction it was turned to.

Thank you for your help

Attached Files

Comment

The new cables are like that and will allow the rudder to swing with ease but once you let go they will turn. As for the tiller arm, there are offset options and that may be what you're fighting, someone may have installed the wrong offset tiller arm as well.

Comment

KT711 It is interesting you mention after installing the new cable, your boat turns right when you let go of the steering wheel. I had the same issue on my 05 24V RE. I don't think the cable was even considered. I end up changing the rack to a no feed back (NFB) rack. However, I didn't even research the cable. Here is some information: https://www.westmarine.com/west-advi...-Steering.html.
                  I ordered: SeaStar Solutions SH91630P NFB Rack Back Mount Rack. Since I have a tilt, I had to take off the steering wheel and tilt mechanism to install.
                  I have to admit it takes a bit to get used to after cruising with the old rack last season and my previous boat had power steering. Just need to turn with a little more effort to release the clutch. On the other hand, once I have a rider up, I really don't have to move the steering wheel at all to keep straight.

Happy boating!
                  BigSky

Comment

Working...
                  X