Raptor cold air intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptor cold air intake

Hey boys! Hope everyone is kicking their summer off by now.

I’m going out to change coil packs and plugs, tonight, to get out for the first time this year, and it got me thinking about an aftermarket cold air intake. I’ve never considered it before, and honestly don’t even know what’s on there now, as I haven’t pulled it from its winter storage yet, but has anyone done, or looked into putting a K&N or equivalent on their boat, to help the intake out, at all? I always put them on my trucks and bikes, not sure why it hadn’t occurred to me before now. If I switch mine, or figure something out, before I get any response, I’ll throw what I do, and if I see any advantage, on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi
    John here over in Australia
    Our season has finished already
    Just wondering why you are going to change your coil packs and plugs.
    As in a car you don’t do that each year

I know it’s not a car but just wondered.
    I haven’t changed my coils ever and plugs only once on my Tige

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It seems a lot of marine engine builders are using a KnN type reusable filter element. Filtering element aside, a "cold air" intake is really nothing more then the engine drawing fresh air from outside the warm engine bay. Cold air is denser (higher O2 levels), so it never a bad thing.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I feel like you would see larger improvements by providing more air to the engine compartment. The air intake on the engine likely isn’t the limiting factor.

Comment

AussieJohn mine was throwing a code for a bad coil, last day out, last year, so I’m upgrading to MSD coil packs, and the best NGK plugs I could get. If I can gain, even minimal power, I’ll be happy, but I’ll also take no codes, at minimum. Turns out it does have a small K&N on there, which doesn’t look big enough, to me, but who knows. I’ll at least clean it, if I can get a bigger K&N from Summit , before Friday, I’ll swap it out, and see what happens. We’ll be on Tahoe this weekend, which is my nemesis, because of the elevation, so I’ll know pretty quick if it has more power than usual.

You ever get to Tahoe, bsreid? I dislocated a shoulder, and potentially tore both that week, so I never made it up to Bullards, before you got up here.

Comment

Yes I totally agree with you. I would do exactly the same as you are doing.
            I love reading all about your days out on the water during my winter wouldn’t it be great if you could follow the Sun ski in Australia for our summer, then go over your world and ski over there for your summer. That would be a great life.

Comment

Raptors call for new plugs at 300 hours if I’m not mistaken. Most tend to run until an issue which generally comes around 4-500. Factory motor craft plugs are what’s recommended and used.

Made it down to Nor cal was a great trip! Spent a day and a half on the delta near discovery bay and the rest on camp far west reservoir. CFW is a such a pretty spot and lucked out on the conditions, 90* air and glassy water in the 70s. Definitely want to check out bullards and Shasta next time I’m down.

Comment

Following. I'm curious if you see a power increase. Have fun and let us know the temperature of the lake!

Comment

Originally posted by AussieJohn View Post
                  Yes I totally agree with you. I would do exactly the same as you are doing.
                  I love reading all about your days out on the water during my winter wouldn’t it be great if you could follow the Sun ski in Australia for our summer, then go over your world and ski over there for your summer. That would be a great life.

The endless summer! I’d especially take it after the winter we had. Full lakes is the only benefit to 50’ of snow in the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                    Raptors call for new plugs at 300 hours if I’m not mistaken. Most tend to run until an issue which generally comes around 4-500. Factory motor craft plugs are what’s recommended and used.

Made it down to Nor cal was a great trip! Spent a day and a half on the delta near discovery bay and the rest on camp far west reservoir. CFW is a such a pretty spot and lucked out on the conditions, 90* air and glassy water in the 70s. Definitely want to check out bullards and Shasta next time I’m down.
                    I’m somewhere around 400 hours, so sounds like it was time, either way. I read an article about putting a little extra pep in the svt raptor trucks, which they used the NGK ruthenium, so that’s what I went with. For $15 a plug, hopefully they do something, although I’ve never bought a whole bunch into more expensive plugs doing a whole lot extra.

That’s awesome! Glad you got over there! Another month that water is 80°+ and the air is 100°+, you spend your whole day looking for shade. Hopefully you enjoyed the delta. It can be insanely hit and miss. It has some cool spots though, and Disco Bay is one of them. There used to be a spot called Lost Isle, which was a boat up, basically nightclub, but in the middle of the day, on the beach. It was one of my favorite spots on the planet, when I was in my 20s.

Comment

Originally posted by Duneit View Post
                      Following. I'm curious if you see a power increase. Have fun and let us know the temperature of the lake!
                      I’m not banking on much, but I’ve always said that boat feel like it’s only like 20hp underpowered, maybe I can make a little bit of that up. I will do that, but I know the basic answer, which is damn cold!! Hope you had a good winter, it was gnarly up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Duneit View Post
                        58° water temp, yesterday, 76° air. It was cold, but not quite as cold as I expected. I was thinking it was going to be more like 52°-54°.

Comment

Working...
                        X