PSA on Fresh Air Exhaust (FAE) install on used Tige

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA on Fresh Air Exhaust (FAE) install on used Tige

I recently bought a 2016 Z3, and decided to install a FAE. I chose the option that utilized the existing exhaust port, instead of a through hull pipe. I didn’t want to wrestle the factory exhaust port from the hull.

Let me fist say that the people over at FAE were amazing to work with, and the quality of their exhaust pipes is outstanding. They were also able to assist me in deducing what went wrong with my install, and even offered to send me a through hull replacement.

Following the manufacturer’s instructions, the installation went smoothly. After the initial water test, I discovered the factory installed exhaust port had come loose from the hull. When I contacted FAE, they said this was the first time something like this has ever happened. Upon further inspection, it seemed there was very little sealant on the exhaust port that goes through the hull. I can’t imagine this leaving the Tige factory like that. My guess is, the exhaust port had been removed, and then replaced incorrectly. There’s no way of knowing this when you purchase a used boat unless you ask the owner or dealer.

Needless to say I had to pull the exhaust port out and re-seal it with the proper amount of sealant. I included some pictures of the exhaust port, showing how little sealant was on there.
Working...
X