Cali Surf trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cali Surf trip

Planning a surf trip in May to a surf comp on Camp Far West Reservoir. Going down the week prior to get some warmer weather and surf time in, was planning on renting an RV and staying at the lake the entire trip but got thinking if it would be worth it to explore other lakes. If there was anything where we could rent a place on the lake around the Sacramento area would be even better but looks limited. Thinking maybe Clear Lake, Lake Oroville, Tahoe would be nice but don't think it's very warm in May. Any suggestions are appreciated! Would like something convenient but mostly just want good water.

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
    Planning a surf trip in May to a surf comp on Camp Far West Reservoir. Going down the week prior to get some warmer weather and surf time in, was planning on renting an RV and staying at the lake the entire trip but got thinking if it would be worth it to explore other lakes. If there was anything where we could rent a place on the lake around the Sacramento area would be even better but looks limited. Thinking maybe Clear Lake, Lake Oroville, Tahoe would be nice but don't think it's very warm in May. Any suggestions are appreciated! Would like something convenient but mostly just want good water.
    That’s awesome brotha!! My neck of the woods, keep me posted, on when you’ll be around. Tahoe is going to be freezing in May, we’ll be on Tahoe Memorial Day weekend. Clear Lake, and Oroville were both crazy low, last year, but they should be way up, if not full, this year. Shasta is badass, but a few hour drive from Sac. I’d look at Bullards, which I love, there are some waterfalls and cool stuff to see, it’s a couple hours from sac, and low enough elevation to use early. Rollins is even closer to Sac, which we use a lot, and love, but it isn’t a huge lake.

New Melones is pretty cool, but would be further down that list, for me. There’s also some cool stuff on the Sacramento Delta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Panning on getting there May 8th. Checked out Bullard, looks really nice but no vacation rentals on the lake so might just venture out there for the day. Have some friends on the delta definitely not the kind of boating I'm used to.

Comment

Panning on getting there May 8th. Checked out Bullard, looks really nice but no vacation rentals on the lake so might just venture out there for the day. Have some friends on the delta definitely not the kind of boating I'm used to.
        For sure, I wouldn’t take my boat on the delta, but it can be fun. I’ll be at Bullards the weekend before that. They do have houseboats and campgrounds, if you end up with an RV of some sort. Not having houses available for rent is the one downside to some of those mountain lakes. The lakes that have houses around them, are pretty cold still in May. If you want to ride in Tahoe, bring a dry suit, or a wetsuit if you’re tough as nails!! It’s going to be cold as eff, the first weekend of May. We still have 50-60’ of snow on the ground ion the mountains, this year. I wouldn’t be looking at too many sierra lakes over like 2000’, that time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Any reason you wouldn't take your boat on the delta? Was just talking to a buddy of mine and he loves it there, can always get out of the wind. Thinking of staying there for a few days and then for the rest of the week at CFW, or maybe just the entire week at CFW and drive out to Bullard.

Comment

Any reason you wouldn't take your boat on the delta? Was just talking to a buddy of mine and he loves it there, can always get out of the wind. Thinking of staying there for a few days and then for the rest of the week at CFW, or maybe just the entire week at CFW and drive out to Bullard.
            I’ve just seen some pretty gnarly stuff out there. It’s super cool, you just have to be really careful. I’ve seen like 20’ logs floating around in the dark, people run aground in crazy spots that you wouldn’t think it would happen, and all kinds of stuff end up wrapped up on props. Discovery bay is cool, we usually camp at or near tower park. You can find rental houses around a bunch of that stuff, and there’s definitely some cool stuff to see. It’s worth going, just pay attention to everything. I know some guys that race drag boats, and they go to Camp Far West a couple of times a year, but I’ve never been there. A lot of those lakes are great on boats, but don’t have much for beaches, and stuff. There is also Folsom Reservoir, super close to Sac, which is pretty low, a bunch of years, but should be full to the brim, right now. We almost always start our year at Bullards.,which we’ll be doing the weekend before you show up. I’ll let you know how it is, but it should be awesome this year.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Definitely a bit of a worry lol. Was actually considering booking a place at tower park. Only going to Camp Far West because that’s where the surf comp is and everyone is camping at the rv park so should be a good time. There is a small cove the perfect size for a pass so can’t beat that.
              The pictures of the Blue water at Bullard looks amazing. Would be easier to get out that way for a few days if we had a second truck to tow the rental trailer and boat.

Comment

Working...
              X